o/d flashing p0503?

parad1mg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD
i've made it here in cali and did a 2837 mile trip in 4 days with every space loaded and stuffed with all my things plus a cargo carrier on top and one at the back which gave me about 2" before the bumpstop hit the rear axle.. before the trip, i drove 200 miles and the o/d started flashing during that trip. i turned off the engine and started it again and the light came off but started flashing again after reaching 70+ mph.. on the return trip, i decided to take it easy driving up to 65mph only and it did not light up that time..

As soon as we started our trip from VA to CA the o/d started flashing again when we got to the highway.. restarting the engine truned it off for a while then it came back again.. When we reached Tennessee, the shifts were a bit harsh/hard and noticable.. this continued till we arrived in Cali.. yes, i drove it for 4 days averegaing 11 hours per leg with the o/d flashing and the trans shifting hard.. we even averaged 17.7 mpg and even hit 19 mpg at one time between fill-ups..

i pulled the codes and the only dtc is a p0503.. i just checked the vss on the transfer case and that one works just fine.. ohms was between 200 and 300 and there is ac voltage when you turn the gear.. the gear is in good shape too.. so,

-is there another vss on a 97 mountaineer awd?
-if there is a signal interruption, how do i find it?
-any tips to where and what else should i be looking for?
-is this connected to the flashing o/d?
-any transmission experts in the area?:D

here's some pics the day after we arrived and started unloading our things:

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

btw, i'm selling the rear cargo carrier.. it has a license plate mount and i installed a lock on it.. it is sturdy and well built but that's another thread..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i forgot to mention that i have reverse and i guess all other functions work.. just that the speedo and the cruise control goes dead in a few minutes after starting her up but the digital speedo that i have works fine..

...Info for the code you have...
P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent/Erratic/High

...This is the only thing I could find on this Forum for you..:(
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238299&highlight=P0503

...Then I found these two notes online but can't verify all the Ford vehicles...

"Date: 02/17/1998
Component Name: 100000 POWER TRAIN
NHTSA #: 983170
SUMMARY: CONCERNS WITH CODES P0500, P0503, P1501 OR P1503 WHICH MAY BE CAUSED MY A LOOSE SPEEDOMETER DRIVE GEAR. *TT"

Service Bulletin Number: 9858
NHTSA Number: 601298
Model Years Affected: 1998
Date of Bulletin: 07/1998

Bulletin Summary: THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) MAY ILLUMINATE AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0503 MAY BE STORED IN MEMORY.

...From what I can find so far, it is a warn speed gear..I'm hoping someone else will chime in...

i havent taken it for a highway drive yet but the p0503 code is now gone.. i still have harsher shifting but all the gears go through including reverse and the overdrive.. it goes into gear right away after selection via the gear stalk.. i dont think the vss code was related to the harsh shifts and the flashing o/d light :dunno:

- would it be better to rebuild the valve body at this time?
- i have atleast 140K miles already, do you think the epc and the tcc solenoids have anything to do with the harsh shifts and flashing o/d light?
- if ever i have to rebuild it i'm going to just purchase a remanufactured VB from the 1800 trans place (cheaper that way i guess) and is the process just as simple as taking off the pan, unbolting the old, bolt on the new, put the pan back and top off the trans fluid?

yeah, i'm still in the dark with this even after reading the 4r70 rebuild diary a few times..

bump!

took it out the bumpy highway today and the flashing p/d went on as soon as i hit 65mph.. the p0503 code is back again too.. i'll check it with a drill and see if it works the speedometer properly..

any thoughts on the valve body rebuild thing?

I would suggest a valve body kit, and the Sonnax upgrades as well. I don't think the EPC is quite as critical for the 4R70W as much as it is for the 5R55E, but it's also much less expensive. Take your time picking parts, be sure of your trans build date. There are many parts changes based on the build date.

Almost all Fords benefit from a VB kit, whether it's the basic system correction kits, or the real deal shift kit. Most symptoms begin with the VB or the electronic parts. The friction surfaces usually are the last thing to go, but the other parts will cause the frictions to go.

Look at it this way, the VB etc stuff needs to be done, if you do it now it should prolong the trans life. If the trans does go, it will still benefit from those parts after a rebuild.

Rebuilding does not have anything to do with the VB kit parts or Sonnax upgrade parts. Trans shops do not do any of that by their choice. They only replace the frictions, steels, seals and gaskets, and the TC. Anything else has to be specified by the owner or some problem that makes them respond with an idea like a VB kit or the Sonnax parts.

Get ahead of the curve, take control of your vehicle and make the improvements as soon as possible. It should be done when the vehicle is first purchased, but it is helpful to do it at any time. I hate how much a trans shop charges to R&R a trans and install $200 worth of parts, plus the TC. I can do all of that myself, anyone can. Their real expertise should be in finding defects to individual components, and that happens so rarely that 99% of the time they just rebuild as I described. The parts aren't that high, nor the work hard, but it is meticulous. You must get the right parts into the right places, everything torqued right, and nothing missed. Take your time, or get someone to go slow and take their time, and it isn't bad to do. Regards,

Thanks don. the 800700tran.com place has cheap prices for remanufactured VB components and epc so i'll get those from them..

what else do i need part wise besides the vb assembly, shift kit (which one should i get by the way for most practicallity?) the epc solenoid and trans fluid? do i need gaskets/seals or is that everything?

I don't know what a whole BVb costs for the 4R70W, but try to avoid changing the original. Ford changes things internally so often, year after year, that often changing a VB creates a different character for the trans. If it functions okay, it is almost always best to work with the existing VB.

I would suggest installing the TransGo $40 kit, it's not a "shift kit" it's most accurately a shift correction kit, aimed at fixing OEM problems. Start with that, it does firm the shifts somewhat, get the trans working great and happy. Then you might consider other things like the more expensive real shift kits. Do also get the Sonnax upgrades, typically the little things may be $20 or so in total for a given trans. Also change the accumulators to the latest rubber coated versions, they are not expensive, and they are just above the VB in the case.

The only gaskets you may need should come in the kit. You will have to buy a filter separately.

so if i get a remanufactured VB of the same year as mine with solenoids and components on it and swap it out with the old one that i have, it might not work?

i've been looking up parts that i need and here is what i have so far with the information i have gathered on the forum.. i know i will be asking a lot of questions on this thread that may seem to be common sense to most members but i have no experience in transmissions yet so please bear with me.. i just want to know what i'm going to do before tearing it down..

btw, anybody is welcome to add anything that i will need to complete the valve body service..

on to parts..

filter:

-motorcraft FT105 (screen type?)
-Fram FT1167 and 1167A (two kinds, the one with the "A" includes a gasket of some sort? the filter material is undefined..)
-wix 58955

which one has the fiber filter material?

Shift correction kit:

-TransGo Shift kit for 4r70W >> link: http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/catalog/TransGo-AODE-4R70W-p-154.html

that's the only one i could find that sells a kit under $40 (price was specified to be $40 in the rebuild diary) is that the correct kit?

Sonnax components:

-Sonnax p/n 76948-09
-sonnax p/n 76948-02K

are these the only ones i need? the stores that i've looked up seems to sell the valve/sleeve only without the springs/clips.. who sells the complete kit?

You could buy a rebuilt valve body, but there is no need to if your trans is functional well. You have a minor symptom and a PCM code, but those are not indications of a major failure. Only replace a VB if it is suspected of being the source of a major issue, and it's likely not fixable easily. The 5R55E is common for people to do because there were big issues in many of the older versions, and people were not comfortable in doing the VB kits themselves.

You don't need a gasket, the OEM piece can last forever. Buy a Motorcraft filter if you have time, get it somewhere else only if you are in a rush etc.

Yes that VB kit will be the one, I see the "SK" in the part number.

Try another web site as parts research sources, there are a couple that are better than that for sure. You don't need to get the big Sonnax kits which run more like $80 or more, most of those are internal parts deeper than the VB.

functioning well that is with the exception of the hard shifts :D

i bought a ft/lb and a in/lb torque wrenches today.. i still have to find info on the bolting sequence and torque specs of each bolt in there..

no hurry with the VB service.. i just want to get all the parts i need when its time to tear it down.. preparedness is key for me..

isnt the FT105 motorcraft filter just a screen type of filter? i read here someplace that the screen types are not really good compared to fiber filter material..

-- purchased the TransGo VB kit from the posted site..

How do i go figuring out if i have the "AB" epc or the "AA" epc solenoid?

btw, thanks Don for helping me out here..

I don't know of all the changes of parts, you mentioned the EPC. Hopefully that depends on the build date etc. The better sources will be able to work that out with you.

There isn't much difference in the VB filters, just be sure that it's the right one, 2WD/4WD, for pan depth clearance.

Back