Home made hood scoop and update on my car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Home made hood scoop and update on my car

custexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05
Just to let anyone who is interested know, I ordered a magnaflow 14" muffler, some exhaust tips, materials for resonator delete, and the materials for custom cold air intake (will post pics of intake and vid of exhaust once installed). I've got thermal wraps for my intake manifold on the way also. (Underdrive pulleys and e-fan before the years up).

Ok so on to my question. I want to build a hood scoop. I dont have the welding tools to make it of solid steel, so I was thinking fiberglass over sheet metal. If i used this method, I am confident I could make the parts to come together to make the scoop, but I wouldn't know how to attatch them to eachother without welding. JBWeld? Anyone who can help I will be very greatful to!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pop rivets, then bondo it smooth?

Thought about that but it has to be corners, although that could work for reinforcing it.

I mean like if two pieces meet like at a "L" shape and they need to be attatched?

My custom hood scoop is coming.

I'm too scared to cut into my hood, so I'm picking up a replacement steel hood, or a junker, and building my own scoop. I'm working on the frame out of sheet metal, and covering the joints in jbweld. Im going to reinforce it and cover it with bondo, then sand to shape. It will be molded in the hood. If all goes well, you can expect a write-up.

u know , i've wanted to try this for awhile now on every car ive own, i did do one on a honda crx i had just over the passenger head light right over th air intake . i used a 12" orange road cone (beileve it or not) for shape then fiberglass resin over it (lots) ..... bonda and primer never did paint it but it was pretty cool any way ..... i would like to see one on an EX maybe a "mach one" scoop[]thats what i want one my EX any one want do it ? i'm too chicken i'll destory my hood tryin

1962.jpg
mustang-mach1.jpg

u know , i've wanted to try this for awhile now on every car ive own, i did do one on a honda crx i had just over the passenger head light right over th air intake . i used a 12" orange road cone (beileve it or not) for shape then fiberglass resin over it (lots) ..... bonda and primer never did paint it but it was pretty cool any way ..... i would like to see one on an EX maybe a "mach one" scoop thats what i want one my EX any one want do it ? i'm too chicken i'll destory my hood tryin

I've considered that. Ill send you a message when I finish. Maybe finish what you suggested, however I would need to find a temporary way to attach it to my engine as I'm not planning on using the scooped hood full time. I would paint it gloss black and swap it out occasionally.

1962.jpg

mustang-mach1.jpg

It might just be me, but I think a shaker hood like on that Mach 1 would look a little weird on an X...

It might just be me, but I think a shaker hood like on that Mach 1 would look a little weird on an X...

I wouldn't put one on the x. I started looking around but it doesn't look like shaker is a (cheap) option, that looks right.

I am probably going to make each side of the scoop separately from sheet metal, use jb weld on the seams, then reinforce the inside with more sheet metal. After that I would coat it with bondo or something similar (any suggestions?) and sand it to shape, then bond it to my hood. The hood will probably be painted black.

I don't see JB Welded sheetmetal holding up long term. Why not just build a form and make it out of fiberglass only?

The hood on the explorer is not metal - it is made of aluminium. Haven't heard of JB weld, but I would assume it's supposed to work with metal?

The hood on the explorer is not metal - it is made of aluminium. Haven't heard of JB weld, but I would assume it's supposed to work with metal?

Eh? You mean the hoods on the 3rd gen and up Explorers are aluminum? Because the 1st and 2nd gen hoods were steel.

Eh? You mean the hoods on the 3rd gen and up Explorers are aluminum?
Supposedly that is true - aluminum. Next time one of us walks next to a third gen, we should try to stick a magnet to it. If it sticks, its steel; if no sticky, its aluminum ;)

I dont have any experience with fiberglass, and from what I understand its pretty expensive. The jb welded sheet metal would have all surfaces coated in bondo, which would do alot for the strength also.

I'd be using a steel hood. The 02-05 X steel hoods are $70.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have any experience with fiberglass, and from what I understand its pretty expensive. The jb welded sheet metal would have all surfaces coated in bondo, which would do alot for the strength also.

Bondo has no structural strength. The only way I see this holding up is welds or rivets. Get a cheap sheet metal brake from Harbor Freight and make flaps to attach everything.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to do a lot more research on the properties of all these materials you are considering. You're going to waste a lot of time and money on this doing it wrong just to do it over again.

Back