Going Up! (4X50 Exploder progress) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going Up! (4X50 Exploder progress)

I know that it may not seem like much to many of you but for those like myself, sitting around with a bucket of rust and very little budget...

This is a 1950 Ford, F1 pickup body being installed on a '92 4X4 Explorer chasis. Also known as "Project Insanity".

I just had to post this because I feel like I got over a major speed bump tonight!

It's all I can do to come in from the "Man Cave" tonight when I know that a simple all-nighter would have the rest of the front end on by morning...

Attachments

• ttb web.jpg
    ttb web.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Before_ After Rancho 999036 web.jpg
    Before_ After Rancho 999036 web.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,065
  • driver side shock web.jpg
    driver side shock web.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,080

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep us posted, looking good!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

it looks awesome so far!! thats exactly what i am looking to do for the front end of mine. could you give me the run donw of what all you put on to get that lift? i saw you used the superlift extended control arms, waht size springs, and anything else. any feedback would be great! keep those pics coming! looks awesome so far!

dude. that truck looks awesome. classic ford on a first gen chassis. killer combo. what engine/trans you running? 4.0/a4ld?

..could you give me the run donw of what all you put on to get that lift?...

The front end Is all SuperLift's 5.5" lift package with their Super runner steering package. I beefed up all their brackets with gausets or welds where it looked like there would be stress points.

picture.php

I modified the shock mounts using F250 shock towers raising them 8" and Rancho 999036 shocks.

picture.php

...killer combo. what engine/trans you running? 4.0/a4ld?

Yep, for now, it's just the stock package that is constantly "Marking it's territory". (450K) May change out for an 351W in the future if money allows...

Attachments

• IMG_0266 web.jpg
    IMG_0266 web.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 785

...and She thinks I'm Nuts!

Ya' gotta picture this...

It's late at night and my girlfriend knows that I want to get some work done on the truck. After several hours of my beeing absent, she comes out to the garage to check on me. She and a visiting guest come out to the garage to find me...

It's pouring down rain, I have the garage door opened up to full height, the radio is blasting away with the country music so that I can hear it with ear muffs on, I'm standing at the grinder just feet away from the open door polishing the rust off all the nuts and bolts for the rear end...

She thinks I'm bored, nuts or just trying to avoid beeing inside with our guest...

There's no use in trying to explain that I'm in the middle of an SOA Conversion! The truck junkie in me says I just want everything done right when this is all done. It makes perfectly good sence to me to get the rust off everything and coat it with paint as I go...

So who's right? Nuts or obsessed?

Regardless of who's right, here's the result of last night's efforts...

After everything was removed, I started by taking the grinder, armed with a wire wheel, to the springs. I painted them with epoxy based enamel, replaced the friction pads ($.35 ea.) and lubed them up with Brake lube...

picture.php

Ok, on her behalf; she did find me earlier that day, standing in the rain, pressure washing the rear axle...

HAHAHAHA! Good story. I like your project. Original. Good luck and keep us posted.

dont worry most of us have looked up when doing something to our trucks to see our better halfs standing there with "that look" on thier faces, ok we may be a bit crazy, but other ppl see our rides and whish they were a bit nutz too! :)

Hurry up and dry!

OK, if the sun holds out, this will be dry and hanging under the springs before my GF gets back home...

OBTW, notice the Jeep leaking coolant on the drive? Just started this morning and I chose to spend my day getting the axle ready to go back into the truck...

Attachments

• Axle.jpg
    Axle.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 755

Axle looks great! Everything does, actually. :cool:

Looks real good

By the way, If I have a part in my hand it usually ends up going thru my blaster and oven. I understand. I think you're normal. :D

Looks real good

By the way, If I have a part in my hand it usually ends up going thru my blaster and oven. I understand. I think you're normal. :D

Man, If I had your setup, there wouldn't be anything except the glass that i wouldn't try to powder coat...:scratch:

Future Flex?

Well, I got the axle bolted on under the springs today. I noticed that the driver side has a couple more inches of sag so new/flexier springs are on the wish list...

Next on the chopping block, I want to install the parts that I have on hand for the wheel bearings and brakes. Then it's on to figure out my shock mounts...

Gotta take a break for a couple days. Mamma has a pretty good Honey-Do List backed up for me. And go figure, the truck's not on it!

Attachments

• IMG_1079 web.jpg
    IMG_1079 web.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_1078 web.jpg
    IMG_1078 web.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 729

wait a sec, i might be stupid, but is this going to be a explorer or a pick up? is that cab just for mock up?

Hybrid?

wait a sec, i might be stupid, but is this going to be a explorer or a pick up? is that cab just for mock up?

I guess it's my version of what a Hybrid should be... That' why I called it "Project Insanity"

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 722

Leveled out.

I was afraid that the front springs were so stiff that the SOA wouldn't level it back out. Actually, it looks like it was the perfect amount.

Attachments

• IMG_1083web.jpg
    IMG_1083web.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_1085 web.jpg
    IMG_1085 web.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 693

I love it, all the classic "restore it to factory everything stock don't chop it up its a piece of history" guys and going to have a fit!

Resto out of my price range!

This puppy is far enough gone that proper restoration is way out of my price range! I was going to build it with the running gear out of my '93 Lincoln but 9 out of 10 of these trucks that you see around here are chopped and dropped or Rat-Rods. The other 1 out of 10 has been restored to show quality...

Not having the cash for a quality restoration, and not wanting to be like everyone else, I decided to go this direction. I hope to keep the body and interior as stock looking as I can afford but parts for this thing are insane! At the same time I don't want it to be a Mall-Crawler! I am trying to build it to take some real off roading... (I think it's off to a good start)

Man that's freakn cool!! Yea she ain't driven any where for a bit!!:) good work man!! Did you do gears?

Waiting for the cash tree to bear fruit!

...Did you do gears?

Not yet, gotta make sure these tires will work out then I'm gonna go low and lock her up... Not sure what brand of lockers yet. The 4x4 shops in town have opposing views on the E-Lockers and locking the front so I'll do my research when I get close to affording the gears and lockers.

I figure there are too many other things on the rig that need cash thrown at them. It will roll with the LS3.75:1 until other things are done...

Back