92 Eddie bauer SFA (work in progress) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Eddie bauer SFA (work in progress)

Well after my TTB started creaking and squeeking i started looking around at getting it rebuilt.
Quote from ford $2300 for all new bearings seals balljoints TTB pivot bushings and a few other things.
:eek: after that i decided it would be better to explore other options ;) .
I bought a 77 F150 High Pinion Dana 44 from a friend who had bought it to do a SFA in his 92? F150 but ran low on funds (lucky me).
My budget is simple........what ever money i have left over after paying rent and food will go into this project so this is a budget build.
Speaking of budget.......after being quoted between $300 and $500 to cut the housing down i started poking around on the net and found some real neat info on my diff so i decided to shorten it myself. check out this link and the links off the bottom of this page http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html i have some pic's in my bogginfreaks gallery and i will be updating the pics when i have progress to report.
Money spent so far (all prices in canadian funds)
$300 77 F150 D44 compleat disc to disc
$25 worth of 4.5" grinding and cutting disc's
$68 canadian, big rock, kokanee, budweiser
Here is a pic of the c-bushing tabs after cutting them off the long side tube I will be cutting the tube tommorow and re and re the steering knuckle on the tube.
If anyone can link my pic's to this post please do (getting my elite status next month i hope :) )
Stay tuned for up-dates

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having a 93, I am also getting the itch, so I will be watching this close, man, I have never seen so many projects going at once, good luck, and post lots of pics.

awesome, a backyard sfa :) there is a cheaper solution :)

Trust me this is ghetto fab at its finest :D

hotweels, no more ghetto fab than my truck ;)

Hmmm, i updated my pic's and did some more work.
link is in my sig

:commencing thread hijack: So is yours gonna look something like this:

truck_before___after.jpg

:end thread hijack: ;)

:mad: bastid :p :D :D :D :D :D :D looks sweet.
like i said before its gonna be a very interesting year at waiprous :D

Cutting_the_tube.thumb.jpg

Cutting_the_tube.jpg

Bwahahahaha i figured out how to post pic's
This one should have the caption "Measure 15 times cut once :D "

Housing is all back toghether now just gotta take it to a shop with a good welder to finish the job.
I added some more pic's to the album follow the link in my sig..:D

you putting the C brackets back on if not i need them

also how are they mounted at what angle. I am going to weld these to a dana 30 so i can run EB radius arms but I am not sure at what angle they will need to be.

Hmmmm www.jamesduff.com sell's the c-bushing tabs fairly cheap as for tha angle they go on i cant really say i just made it the same as the other side :( I think they go on parrallel to the face the diff cover sorta like this l-
Just e-mail jamesduff and ask em how to install them.

Hey Hotwheels.....what is that Z95.3 sticker stuck on? That is from the lower mainland of BC!

Attachments

• 844absolute_ghetto_fab-med.jpg
    844absolute_ghetto_fab-med.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 311

Thats my welding helmet, the sticker was given to me by a friend from surry but........... i grew up in salmonarm and vernon area, job loss drove me to calgary........ i try and get back to BC for a few weeks a year but this project will keep me broke untill late fall. OH back on topic, you damn yankees have life pretty easy cause with shipping and exchange the jamesduff coils are $300cdn and a dropped pitman arm is $140cdn....... hmmm now where is that pouch of money tree seeds????????:rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D

how wide are the axle wedges? I have to order some steel tubing to build up my dana 30 to 2.75 inches in order to weld them on and need to know how long of a piece i will need.

thanks jeff

I will throw my tape measure on it friday, i am working 24hrs a day right now and dont have time to run over to my buddys garage.
will try and post it on friday night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back