Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

My name is Justin, I'm from Roseburg, Oregon. I've owned my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 since about 2004. I bought it from my good friends at Solo Motorsports in Covina, California. I've driven the heck out of it ever since and needless to say, had a lot of fun with it.

I had a new 4.0L installed a year or so ago at around 192,000. A short time later I replaced the A4LD also. I have a little over 500 miles on both at this point. I work out of the country so I don't get to drive it a whole lot right now.

The engine/drivetrain is all stock with the exception of a KKM filter set-up and a red top Optima battery. The front suspension has Solo Motorsports 4 inch over 4x4 beams and radius arms, Eibach coil springs, and Fox resi shocks. The rear has Deaver springs, Solo Motorsports shackles, and Fox resi shocks.

When I bought it she had 33x10.50/15 BFG MT's on stock Explorer wheels. I replaced them with some 285/75/16 Big O's for a while, but really didn't like them as much so I've since switched back to a 33x10.50/15 BFG's. Again on stock Explorer rims, powder coated 55% black, this time AT's. The AT's are much more street friendly IMO.

I'm having a few minor repairs done right now (fuel gauge stopped working, HVAC blower only works on high, driver's side electric window motor is really slow, etc). I have purchased almost everything I need to fix the interior up except a carpet kit. Future plans include adding a coil-over and bump stops to the front end, different shocks/mounts out back, rear fiberglass, a larger roof rack, and a paint job.

I am contemplating adding a winch too (I have an extra Warn HS9500 laying in my garage), I'm just not sure yet.

Here are a few pics as it sits right now-

HPIM3913.jpg

HPIM3912.jpg

HPIM3911.jpg

HPIM3914.jpg

I really enjoy the website, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice EX. Where did you get your motor from? How much did it cost you? I am looking for a new motor and want to get something locally to avoid shipping cost. Can you point me in the right direction. Thanks

Can you post some pics of the front skid plate? I've been contemplating making one but don't know what to mount it to.

Nice. I really like the skidplate.

You add the glass fenders?

Nice EX. Where did you get your motor from? How much did it cost you? I am looking for a new motor and want to get something locally to avoid shipping cost. Can you point me in the right direction. Thanks

Thanks! I bought the motor off of Race-Dezert.com from a guy that was building a 7 truck in SoCal and changed his plans, I'm not sure where he got it from, but I picked it up for a great price ($800). Man did it bring the Explorer back to life! Before I found it, I was looking on line to find a reputable engine rebuilder that offered both a good warrentee and reasonable shipping. I don't have the info I came up with anymore, but my advice is to just start looking on-line.

Can you post some pics of the front skid plate? I've been contemplating making one but don't know what to mount it to.

I'll look through my pics and try to find some that show the skidplate better. The guys a SoloMotorsports built it for me when I first bought the Explorer from them. It had a cut down stock bumper, I asked them to build it to seal the deal. It's design is very clean and simple IMO.
Nice. I really like the skidplate.

You add the glass fenders?

Thanks again! No, the fenders were on it when I bought it, they are Glassworks. Lucky for me I like them better than anyone elses 1st gen fenders.

More pics soon.

I looked and I really don't have any pics of my Explorer skidplate that show good detail so here are some of the skidplate on my Ranger. They are built exactly the same.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

HPIM3981.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics.

HPIM2197.jpg

I just bought this the other day. It's a little overkill for the Explorer, but Crane diff covers are hard to beat.

8_8CLR.jpg

nice x

I called my mechanic and told him I want to change the gears while he's got it. I'm gonna go 4.56's with a Detroit in the rear and a Lock-Right up front, that should get the performance where I want it. 4.56's will give me a little extra umph with 33's and will work fine if I ever decide to bump up to 35's.

A few more pics I dug up-

GetAttachment5.jpg

GetAttachment4.jpg

HPIM3060-1.jpg

GetAttachment6.jpg

Hey with those fenders can you still use the stock fenders wells? Also any way you could get a better pic or even a measurement of the width of the fender at the lowest point,near the door?

Yes, I still have the stock inner fenders. I couldn't get away without having them in wet/muddy Oregon. The fenders bolt on using all the stock bolt holes and hardware. I can't take a measurement for you as I'm away from home right now, but here's an old pic (side view) that may help you.

IMG_6575.jpg

Yea that corner is where i rub and i cant tell if they are the same width as a stock fender or not.yea i hope i could still use my wells.i would hate to buy these and still rub

Really like the x, I like to see how many different combinations of things people put on their x.

Yea that corner is where i rub and i cant tell if they are the same width as a stock fender or not.yea i hope i could still use my wells.i would hate to buy these and still rub

They turn outboard a little bit at the bottom compared to a stock fender. Also you can trim the inside lip back if you need to and no one will even notice. So far with 33 x 10.50's I haven't had to, my front tires have never rubbed.

Even if I bump up to 35's I still don't think they'll rub.

Really like the x, I like to see how many different combinations of things people put on their x.

IMO X's are about as universal as they come. Like I tell people, mine isn't the greatest at any one thing, but I can do just about anything I want with it and have a good time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back