Dr. Jack | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ Yep, guilty as charged!!!!!!!!

The 4 inch extension installed on the tire carrier. More cosmetic work needed and the triangel brackets for the pivot.

IMG_0243.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Productive day mate! I'm having some trouble seeing the pictures but it sound's like it's almost done. Hope your having a good weekend.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reaperstirecarrier.png

I'm a little concerned about the area with I pointed out with the arrow. It looks like the pieces didn't align correctly...or am I wrong?

Anyway its looking great!! :thumbsup:

Reaperstirecarrier.png

I'm a little concerned about the area with I pointed out with the arrow. It looks like the pieces didn't align correctly...or am I wrong?

Anyway its looking great!! :thumbsup:

it's not completed yet, there is a inch and half square bar inside the 2 inch bar for added support, we had to shim it and it did offset a bit, the weld is not done yet and more is to be welded, it is also going to be bolted top and bottom. We be redneck.

Lol. Nothing against your work as you are leagues ahead of me in the weld and fab department. I just noticed that was a bit off and thought I would mention it. I probably wasn't looking at it right. :)

Lol. Nothing against your work as you are leagues ahead of me in the weld and fab department. I just noticed that was a bit off and thought I would mention it. I probably wasn't looking at it right. :)

LOL! You were looking at it right! We're got some more welding and squaring it away, just posted to show progress!

since I had the sliders off to repaint, decided to put in a 1" wide alum bar to cover the part between the slider and body. To cover this:

IMG_0246.jpg

attaching this:

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Besides having my butt kicked for 3 hours for something this simple, now do I leave the bar bare, or paint it black?

Cough think a trip to Humboldt Kansas is in order Cough :D

Would that have something to do with powdercoating? :D

I think that space needs to be there to keep the sliders from striking the rocker panels. The frames on these Explorers flex quite a bit and the sliders will flex upward when the weight of the rig is on them. Mine move a full inch and its not the sliders flexing; I crawled under the truck and looked and you could see the frame twisting slightly.

I guess having an piece of aluminum bar in there is no big deal, it would just get squished.

I think that space needs to be there to keep the sliders from striking the rocker panels. The frames on these Explorers flex quite a bit and the sliders will flex upward when the weight of the rig is on them. Mine move a full inch and its not the sliders flexing; I crawled under the truck and looked and you could see the frame twisting slightly.

I guess having an piece of aluminum bar in there is no big deal, it would just get squished.

Didn't think of the flexing, but went with aluminum because of light weight, but it looks as the decieson had better benefits since it will just fail under the flex if it comes to that, Thanks for the feedback!! :thumbsup:

I can see, I can see!!! Look's wicked mate!

Okay, now you really got me wondering how those sliders are mounted. :scratch:

LOL! Mounting points are being changed as soon I can anyhow!

:popcorn:

Back