BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that my bumpers just about done, im wondering how much Maaco will want to paint it! Macks bodyshop wanted like 400$ I think they said awhile back when I had called for a quote!

And on another note, after my bumpers almost done (I had wanted to get a roll pan but didnt really have anyone who would weld it for me besides shops which would charge up the wazoo. My uncle moved, and has a huge garage now with welders and all kinds of tools and hes a great welder)....BUTTTTT I would still have to get it painted:mad:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Can I get some input here from anyone who has/or has used the projector fog lights?

Im looking to replace my foglights, and fit an HID kit in them, but I can get an OEM set, or a projector (w/LED Halo) set for around the same price.

Ive seen PLENTY of pics installed, but NEVER a beam shot of them...

And it scares me the fact that they're the same price as regular housings, it leads me to think that they are just a cheap eBay projector with cheap LED Halos. (Not worried about the Halos, although it would be cool to have them)

Im also wanting todo something a little custom, and get some 5w amber LEDs in there to flash with my blinkers...which is why im leaning more towards the regular housings.

:dunno:

(Just got back in from about 2 hours of bumper work:D Shes coming along great! Should be prepped for paint by Wednesday!!)

This was hell!
IMAG0206.jpg

New project:D

And all credit for the console goes to Joe Dirt, I would have never thought this piece would just snap in, I like it so much better than the 2nd gen consoles. Thanks for another GREAT idea Joe!:thumbsup:

IMAG0221.jpg

Even snagged some badging
IMAG0223.jpg

Im gonna use the "Explorer" in the interior somewhere, I have a few ideas im debating on.

Theyre all out back cleaned and in the process of getting painted.
I scored all that for 10 bucks at the JY!

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

The letters were in pretty bad shape, alot of the chrome was peeling off so I finished them off and decided to paint them black. (For now), and the console piece is looking great! Its got the OEM texture, but with a glossy finish, I love it.

Ditching the message center??

Yea, I thought it was awesome at first, but now id rather have the space. Im planning a custom stereo install, moving my HU, and climate controls down into this new piece, and putting a large (Not sure what size, 13" or so) screen in the bezel, OR an iPad.

Definitely gonna take some time, and bumper comes first, but I couldnt pass grabbing these today.

Plus I bought an Ultra Gauge, which shows everything the message center does (AND TONS MORE) (Besides the doors being closed, volts being good, oil life, etc, which I know without a screen telling me :p:)

Yea, I thought it was awesome at first, but now id rather have the space. Im planning a custom stereo install, moving my HU, and climate controls down into this new piece, and putting a large (Not sure what size, 13" or so) screen in the bezel, OR an iPad.

Definitely gonna take some time, and bumper comes first, but I couldnt pass grabbing these today.

Plus I bought an Ultra Gauge, which shows everything the message center does (AND TONS MORE) (Besides the doors being closed, volts being good, oil life, etc, which I know without a screen telling me :p:)

That's one of the main things I miss about my 03, is having the message center neatly tucked away in the dash. I too really miss the space, but I like having the message center too. I'm at a crossroads.

I wish the message centers were like the 3rd gens, small and built in somewhere, not taking up valuable space :D

IMAG0227.jpg

This is really just a test fit for now, and a quick coat of paint. I wanted to get an idea of what its gonna look like, how much depth I have, etc. I have saturday off, so hopefully I can get a dremmel by then and start marking it up and cutting it to fit the radio.

You should see my test bezel :D
IMAG0228.jpg

(My cutters battery died, thats why its half-assed cut)

Ive used that thing to see if the rubbery coating was paintable, how my push button start would look in place of the 4x4 switch, shaved the button holes, and now how big of a screen I can get in it:)

I was worried about the curve of the bezel, but I doubt it would look too bad if I just added some bondo/glass to the bottom to fit the flat panel monitor.

IMAG0229.jpg

Whatever I get, definitely wont be this long, but im sure it will hang down farther than the curve of the bezel. That might not make sense, so heres a sideshot

IMAG0231.jpg

^Basically meaning ill have to fill in that spot between the cardboard and the bezel, not hard at all.

:)

Moving them down in the console also...thats gonna be the hardest part lol

I may just leave them there, and make some kind of hinged install on the screen so I can flip it up, but that would be a PITA:dunno:

So to replace my headunit, im thinking of using a Kenwood KDC-X794. Reviews seem excellent to say the least, and it has the rear input like I want.

Im 90% sure ill be going with an iPad in the bezel, with a patch cable going from the headphone port of the iPad, to the back of the headunit. I can charge the iPad via the USB connection from the radio (Which awesomely is also on the back).

I love the music player on the iPad, which is why I dont want to connect the iPad to the USB for music purposes. Ill also be able to send out WiFi from my phone to it (Ill have navi, Netflix, iTunes, and anything else that requires an internet connection) Its gonna be awesome!

KenwoodKDC-X794Front.jpg

Quick shipping on these new foglights! 2 days! And picked up a dremmel finally, theres been umteen times that ive said "Damn I wish I had a dremmel" lately.

IMAG0232.jpg

These look so much better than the old ones
IMAG0233.jpg

AND THIS IS WHY YOU ALWAYS "SEAL" LIGHT HOUSINGS WHEN YOU BUY AFTERMARKET!
IMAG0235.jpg

I was literally taking the outside casing off these to put them in the oven to bake them and open them up, when I noticed 2 tabs on the outside. I was like theres no way in hell that these hold the glass against the housing. Sure enough:
IMAG0235.jpg

Theres a rubber ring but I doubt that would have done much! Im really happy that they are like that though, gonna make it so much easier to get the leds in there for my blinkers.

Going to pick up the iPad tomorrow before work, so works gonna suck! (9 hours til I can get home and start!)

After some more thinking, and thanking Ford for having steering wheel controls for my HVAC, im not gonna move the HVAC controller. Im gonna leave it where its at. Ill have enough room to hit the buttons, (Max AC, Vent, Floor, Mix, Defrost, etc) and ill use the steering wheel to control temp and fan speed. I either have it on 90, or 60. (Full heat, or full cold, I never set it anywhere else so im not worried about the screen either)

So its basically gonna be like this.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

Its gonna be tilted up about another inch than what this is showing.

Had to make it look a little better :)

IMAG0247.jpg

Not too much air is going to get through those dash vents...

I'll fix em when I get off work ;)

im not gonna move the HVAC controller. Im gonna leave it where its at. Ill have enough room to hit the buttons, (Max AC, Vent, Floor, Mix, Defrost, etc) and ill use the steering wheel to control temp and fan speed. I either have it on 90, or 60. (Full heat, or full cold, I never set it anywhere else so im not worried about the screen either)

Running max settings puts added stress on the blend door.

Back