Bad Paint!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Paint!!

SeaFoam

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I just noticed today that the paint on the A pillar has rippled and cracked. Anyone else have this problem? Back to the shop. Again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMAG0205.jpg

What the... Wow.

Dont know, My A-Pillar cover blew off today going down the highway!

Pics?

Here's with a better camera, that's not gonna work out too well. 6000 miles. Awesome.

100_0014.jpg

That's got to be a contaminated panel prior to finish- sucks, shouldn't happen, but definitely covered. Ouch!

I thought those were vinyl decals not paint. Nonetheless, it's a bad decision for Ford to continue with these A-pillars the way they are.

Someone else here had problems with their A-pillars bubbling up and reported it was some sort of vinyl covering (and one that scratches too easily!)

It's a shame that Ford decided not to paint these parts.

All I can say is wow

I thought those were vinyl decals not paint. Nonetheless, it's a bad decision for Ford to continue with these A-pillars the way they are.

Someone else here had problems with their A-pillars bubbling up and reported it was some sort of vinyl covering (and one that scratches too easily!)

It's a shame that Ford decided not to paint these parts.
I think the vinyl bubbling was on the inside part of the A pillar.

yeah, I suspect the A-pillars (as well as the other black trimmed pillars) aren't painted as well as the other stuff.

I have tons of microscratches on them that you can only see in certain lighting/angles. I used Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 to get them out last time and it mostly worked, but after a couple of handwashes (with a microfiber wash mit and the two bucket technique) I'm starting to see them again. The rest of my paint has nary a micro scratch but these pillars (or maybe its that black shows them better?) do.

you think that is bad...i was putting a baby changing table in that back last week, I rested it against the bumper so i could pick up the legs and pivot it in. Keep in mind this is just one of those flimsy light tables. The pivot rubbed off the paint down to the ABS plastic in a small 1" section where the spine of the table was. Another one happened at the tail light. The dealership replaced the rear taillight that had a bad seal...they must have used a screw driver to pry it off and that rubbed of about an inch of paint to the ABS plastic (didn't notice this till a few weeks ago)

My other car has plastic bumpers and I have loaded stuff the same way...you may get a little scratching from the move which i will handle with some scratch remover, but I have never seen the clear/paint come of from such little force.

you think that is bad...i was putting a baby changing table in that back last week, I rested it against the bumper so i could pick up the legs and pivot it in. Keep in mind this is just one of those flimsy light tables. The pivot rubbed off the paint down to the ABS plastic in a small 1" section where the spine of the table was. Another one happened at the tail light. The dealership replaced the rear taillight that had a bad seal...they must have used a screw driver to pry it off and that rubbed of about an inch of paint to the ABS plastic (didn't notice this till a few weeks ago)

My other car has plastic bumpers and I have loaded stuff the same way...you may get a little scratching from the move which i will handle with some scratch remover, but I have never seen the clear/paint come of from such little force.

Wow. I would talk to your dealer/Cory about that one. That seems pretty bad to me - something that should be covered under warranty IMHO.

Here's with a better camera, that's not gonna work out too well. 6000 miles. Awesome.

100_0014.jpg

Have to wonder if the cover is flexing at highway speeds leading to the cracking and in worst cases, as has been reported coming off the vehicle completely.

Seafoam : is your car outside and in the sun mostly?

Looks a lot like stress cracking, Corvettes had this issue in the rockers area and the ones equipped with T tops also. To much poly on cars now a days.

I think the vinyl bubbling was on the inside part of the A pillar.

What do you mean by inside part? I am not sure to where you are referring.

From the picture I remember, it was just superior to the point where the side mirror met the A-pillar part in question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took it to the dealer today, found more spots. Both A pillars are flaking and cracking, as well as the B pillar on the driver's side. It's starting to bubble up around the keypad, so it can't be from flexing or stress.

Back