Steering - 1 ton GM tre's v.s. Heims | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering - 1 ton GM tre's v.s. Heims

I have seen people use the GM 1 ton tre's and others use the Heims. What are peoples experiences with either set up? Is there advantages either way? I am looking at what set up to run on my soon to be SAS swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have to bore out the pitman arm to get the TRE to fit.

Yup, 7/8 drill bit, one time use...lol Reamer is just to expensive. Will use a nice drill press for it tho.

Unless turboexplorer gets it, and wants to let me borrow it after he is done with it. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Is that trac bar a stock F-150 bar?

I dont know, I just did the steering :D

I cant believe how the price of reamers has gone up. When I bought mine about 6 years ago it was about $40. Now it is double that from the same vendor, I just checked :eek:

Are you going to be using this?

ylink.jpg

For the price of it, (if it works), I cant see going wrong with it. If it works, I am very interested in using it myself. :)

I am seriously considering it. And with the 15% code from brian it might be a done deal. :)

I was going to use the 7/8" bit and inserts but im wondering on longevity since I will be wheeling very hard and with 37"s. So I personally feel like reamer is the best way to go but yeah $90 for not much use is a ton. Everybody running the tres has seemed to really like them. Stico now has some steering slop but thinks its in his steering gear box. Also for my weather in snow and road salt it seams like a no brainer.

So how could we get a few guys in on getting a reamer for the forum. One buys, others pay $15-20 plus simple flat rate box for shipping? I just like the idea of two peaces clamped together tight. Then no movement therefore no play and a lifetime of service worried inserts would waller out some over time and hurt knuckles. Of course could be completely wrong on that idea to.

If I buy it this week I will buy their 8.8 swap kit as well. 5/8" u bolts plus heavy steel mount and plate etc. Little expensive but would save fab work. Easy to strip old ones and bolt her on set pinion angle for new driveshaft and burn on the perches. :)

Not on the same subject but gmanpaint what are you going to use for shafts? Use a standard kotkish (dont know how to spell it) driveshaft or converting to a double cardon at the T-Case side? My estimates show for my V8 rig and 4406 T case for joint angles to be at 6° if I do a standard u joint style. Should be in the operating range of the u joints but shaft would be roughly 1" short. Blah, Also fully new double cardon shaft is $400

P.S. I got my new tires and rims on Christmas. In laws pulled them from Salt Lake to here for me on their way to visit since I am having a baby tomorrow. Hence being on the forum at 2:30a.m. lol.

Anyways think they are any bigger than my 31's?
2011-12-26_11-43-56_848.jpg

Bronco2guy just purchased the $90 reamer, he got 3 cuts with it before it went dull. I guess the pitman arm did it in. I am having a hard time justifying that cost for that little use. Unless using it in a drill press and lots of cutting oil saves it, or it can be sharpened, I doubt I will bother with it. :dunno:

I will be using stock Drive shafts, as they are a dime a dozen used at the JY's. Just beef up the U-joints is all. If it was strictly a trail rig, I would entertain a custom square tube shaft instead.

I am using grade 8, 9/16" U-bolts with the full width 8.8 swap. I can get them custom made local for cheap. I do like those perch kits RuffStuff sells as well.

The trackbar frame mount is still messing with my head trying to figure it out. :crazy: Have you figured it out yet? Looks to me as it will be one of those things we figure out when it's time to install, and cant plan ahead. Ack!

Trying to use the F-150 RA's on a 2nd gen is also turning out to be a PITA with the frame mounts. :eek:

Hee Hee! 2nd gen Full Width SAS=funsville!

Interesting. We are going same route but in very different ways. I am going to truss my axle, and build my own y-link arms, run full blown Fox remote resivoir coilovers 14", considering hydro assist, both front rear custom shafts, should be able to do 75mph in 4 wheel drive with no vibrations both shafts will be double cardon shafts which also pitches my pinion angle up so slightly raises my rear diff u joint, locked in the rear, tight gear limited slip up front, 37's, 5.13 yukon gears, both axles 100%and rebuilt with every single possible bolt and nut and harware replaced minus axle shafts c's and knuckles. I have axles and tires, axles are fully disassembled and buying starts now, build starts march :)

Bronco2guy just purchased the $90 reamer, he got 3 cuts with it before it went dull. I guess the pitman arm did it in. I am having a hard time justifying that cost for that little use. Unless using it in a drill press and lots of cutting oil saves it, or it can be sharpened, I doubt I will bother with it. :dunno:

Bummer. I have probably done a dozen cuts with my reamer and it is still working great. You need to go really, really slow with it, sometimes drill presses wont go slow enough. I typically use a hand power drill or even do it by hand with a ratcheting tapper. I also use WD40 to lube it.

They can be sharpened, there is a service on ebay for $30 or find a local shop to do it.

My reamer is made by X-cut. They sell on ebay but their user name is something different than x cut. 79.99 + ~$5 shipping when I looked last night.

Lastly, Snap-on makes a reamer too but it is not quite the right taper, lots of people mistake it for one that works. You want a 1.5" per foot reamer for the 1 ton TREs.

Bummer. I have probably done a dozen cuts with my reamer and it is still working great. You need to go really, really slow with it, sometimes drill presses wont go slow enough. I typically use a hand power drill or even do it by hand with a ratcheting tapper. I also use WD40 to lube it.
x2 -- reamer speeds are typically very very slow because the cutting edge is a lot larger than a drill. They will often be ran at 1/2 to 1/3 of drilling RPM for the same material - which, for off road fabrication use, will typically mean speeds below 100 RPM.

I am pretty sure I got my reamer from Speedway motors. Looks like it is $79.99 right now. Item #: 91089411 I am pretty sure that is the one I have but am 350 miles from it right now and cant double check.

I am placing my order now and I have found several promo codes for ruffstuff. :) If it all goes through I will save $120 :)

Type these promo codes in:
FESTIVUS - saved me $57.75
PBB10 - Saved $19.95
NAXJA - Saved $19.95
INFAMOUS4X4 - Saved $19.95

Hope it lets all four codes through it shows that it will! :)

I am ordering the GM 1 Ton Tre's steering setup and the 8.8 Axle swap kit to use for my full width spring over axle.

Perfect!!!!!!! All 4 codes went through. Both these items sipped to my door was $313.13 :)

Amazing the deals you can find when you stay awake all night in the hospital with my new baby!!!! :)

P.S. Two codes where supossed to be expired but went through. I ran through probably a dozen codes and these 4 went through. Use them now while we know they work.

True but the biggest discount one by far was the code you posted brian so either way I will be happy. And no I didnt find a code facebook, dang it

Update: I got the email confirmation it has been processed and headed to shipping. It all went through!

It all shipped today and is on its way. :)

Think I'm going to go to a local machine shop and have them ream the parts for me. Will be easy to tell because I will have the tre's with me and we can go slow until its where we need it. :) Very excited to start the build here shortly axles are almost cleaned off and ready to start reassembling.

So did you get a call from Ruffstuff about the coupon codes? I just did :rolleyes: I was going to be nice and ordered a hat along with some hiems while the getting was good to do some advertising for them but since they only let 2 codes go on my order I told them to take off the hat and just ship my hiems.

No phone call. I have gotten my rear axle spring over stuff and steering is shipped and should all be here Friday. No phone call and was charged exactly what the invoice said. All four codes went through. Either lucky or they made the rule after my order?

Just for future reference, i have the goodson reamer and its done at least 10 different rigs... ive shipped it across country as a loaner and got it shipped back. No idea how my friends have used it i only asked that they use alot of cutting oil.

Ive used it both in a drill press and with a hand drill. Its still as sharp as the day i bought it.

Back