Steering and heim's ?'s

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
Ok i am looking at running 3/4 heim's for my steering 2 on the passenger side one top one bottom and a heim at the drag link. and of course one one on the drivers side. but i was thinking there has to be something out the to replace the crossbar between the driver and passenger side besides heims. there should be a ton of flex there,b ut everyone run heims or Tie-rod ends.

With hemi's it will be easier to upgrade later to hi-steer. But for now i am gonna runing i n stock location. Then upgrade later to hi-steering with ram assist.

running heim's those with them is the steering loose? i dont think it would be. but asking.

ok btw i will be running a 1st gen power steering box. ease of hooking it up.

I've been running all heims on my steering linkage for 3 yrs or so and it's still nice and tight. Some people say they get sloppy after some time, maybe that has something to do with the area you wheel in like wet or muddy terrain or even road salts. I live in the desert so my truck rarely even sees wet roads much less mud.

Anyways, it just comes down to personal preference, I went with heims because they are easier to deal with than TRE's as far as taking them off the knuckle. I'd always destroy the dust boots from using the pickle fork and could never find replacements unless I bought a new TRE.

DB_1 you went with 3/4 heims right?

Yes I did, but I put high misalignment spacers on each end of my drag link to get a little more travel out of the heims. It reduces the hole from 3/4" to 5/8".

Back