I've looked for a 2002 Explorer water pump replacement procedure, don't find one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've looked for a 2002 Explorer water pump replacement procedure, don't find one.

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
Surely has got to be a full procedure for a 2002 Explorer 4.0 Water pump replacement here somewhere. But did several searches and didn't find anything.

Thinking there are a few necessary prep steps (like removing the radiator or components) maybe some special tools, or special tool work arounds etc. Have noticed on eBay, that water pumps often come bundled with an oil pump, timing chains, timing gears, chain rails etc. Are these recommended at 150,000 miles, or overkill??

Can anyone point me to a posted procedure?

Brian in Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is pretty easy to get to and straight forward, at least on the 4.6L.

not much to it...just drain coolant, remove fan shroud and fan(needs special tool for fan) you can rent it auto zone, remove serpentine belt, remove water pump pulley and transfer it to the new water pump...clean surface with scraper if RTV was used on last installation...idk the torque specs, just reverse removal procedure for installation.
As of the package, you can check your manual when are the other things due for change, but it wont hurt if you wanna replace it now if you know how to do it: if you are not confident then getting an experienced mechanic is recommended.

not much to it...just drain coolant, remove fan shroud and fan(needs special tool for fan) you can rent it auto zone, remove serpentine belt, remove water pump pulley and transfer it to the new water pump...clean surface with scraper if RTV was used on last installation...idk the torque specs, just reverse removal procedure for installation.
As of the package, you can check your manual when are the other things due for change, but it wont hurt if you wanna replace it now if you know how to do it: if you are not confident then getting an experienced mechanic is recommended.

Mr Bean, what is IDK?

I understand that I can replace anything and everything and it won't hurt,.....
what I am asking is: are Timing chains, sprockets, oil pumps, chain rails etc an issue on theses. I've had friends do 360,000 miles on older explorers and never touch those items. Had another friend do 600,000+ on an older Chevy truck, never touched any of those items. I dont have money to spend on unecessary work. When I see all these other parts being sold with a water pump,....which seems unusual,.....it causes me to wonder if they are an issue. Also, I always do my own work,......prefer not do spend time doing work that is not needed.

Brian

my bad Brian, i meant "i dont know" the torque specs for the water pump...i wouldn't worry about the other things if I were you. If you gonna end up replacing the water pump then it would be really nice if you could write up on "How to replace water pump on a 4.0" with pics

I found some specs on another thread but it was for 95-01 explorers:
Haynes manual specifies 72 to 108 in-lbs for the V6 water pump bolts and 14 to 18 ft-lbs for the water pump pulley bolts

my bad Brian, i meant "i dont know" the torque specs for the water pump...i wouldn't worry about the other things if I were you. If you gonna end up replacing the water pump then it would be really nice if you could write up on "How to replace water pump on a 4.0" with pics

Just posted my "How to" on how to install two 12 volt power ports in the center console of a 2002 Explorer earlier today. It's in the modified 02-05 Explorer category.

Brian

From my '02 Shop Manual:

WaterPumpTorqueCustom.jpg

Thanks Big Rondo.

Glad to help. :D

Glad to help. :D

Big Rondo, could you check something for me in your shop manual. Do I install the water pump gasket and bolts dry, or do I use any sealants on either? Replacing the pump today.

Brian in Austin

Big Rondo, could you check something for me in your shop manual. Do I install the water pump gasket and bolts dry, or do I use any sealants on either? Replacing the pump today.

Brian in Austin

I would say no sealant.

From my shop manual:

NOTE: Use metal surface cleaner and a suitable plastic or wooden scraper to clean the sealing surfaces.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Install a new water pump gasket.
Install an appropriately sized worm drive-type clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.

Back