Return from the Mojave Desert - 2013 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Mojave Desert - 2013

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Brian...Can you post the picture I took on your camera inside of Spooky Canyon?

P3251137.jpg

P3251037.jpg

P3251040.jpg

P3251068.jpg

P3251053.jpg

..:scratch:.I thought I had took one of you climbing up/down from that spot..

..It is odd how all but the right side of that picture is lit by the flash..Spooky even..:p:

..:scratch:.I thought I had took one of you climbing up/down from that spot..

..It is odd how all but the right side of that picture is lit by the flash..Spooky even..:p:

That one didnt come out so good. The dark spot is due to a bad design of the camera. The lense protector gets in the way of the flash when it is not zoomed in and creates a shadow. I put another photo in my above post from the same spot.

..And the whole reason why Brian1 heads West..He see's an In-N-Out truck and just follows it to it's next location...:p:

P3240919.jpg

Me, too!!!!!!

..I believe you will be on the next trip to the Desert in May, destination Ghost Towns of Nevada...

..But we generally do the Mojave Desert in March each year and and it may be scheduled again with the Mint 400 race next year..:D

I was referring to the next Mojave trip...

Maybe next year we can the Mojave Road + and Death Valley again.

Day 2 - Tuesday: Mines around Cima

This morning Ritsui would have to return home and Tbars and I would continue the trip. First on the agenda was the Evening Star Mine. Founded in 1935 and abandoned in 1944 it produced Tin.

m_DSC07909_zpsbac08a72.jpg

m_DSC07914_zpsc2999366.jpg

m_DSC07919_zpsd3cc5816.jpg

m_DSC07931_zps15b8cb19.jpg

m_DSC07933_zps4b4a75e0.jpg

m_DSC07941_zpscc575890.jpg

Down the road was a small cemetery with several grave sites, one being as recent as 2009. This is also the grave site of Riley whose camp we will explore soon...

m_DSC07946_zps36e2f4a3.jpg

Next was the Standard Mine which was spread over a larger area.

m_DSC07972_zpsc24b71ab.jpg

Desert junk

m_DSC07975_zpsc085b785.jpg

m_DSC07953_zps7b86194d.jpg

m_DSC07971_zps8c55a91f.jpg

Day 2 - Tuesday: Cima Mines Continued

Riley's camp is a preserved cabin where people are welcome to spend the night. It was stocked with canned food, cots, lanterns, tables, chairs and even an electronic dartboard!

m_DSC07983_zps366e57d3.jpg

m_DSC07985_zps24407e72.jpg

From here we would take the short trip into Cima and travel on a dirt route to the Death Valley Mine on our way to rejoin the Mojave Road.

The Death Valley Mine was founded in 1906 and abandoned in 1930. It mined silver, lead and gold. This was a large mine with 75 workers at one point. A fire destroyed some of the buildings and equipment and the mine was then abandoned. There were several buildings including a very nice house that was the manager's quarters.

m_DSC08011_zpsb2993292.jpg

m_DSC08015_zps193cdbf7.jpg

m_DSC08023_zps24de71f3.jpg

m_DSC08024_zps05434531.jpg

m_DSC08026_zps242b425d.jpg

From here we would continue on a dirt trail. Soon we would pass by Thomas' Place where there was a dugout shelter and some building rubble and a very large corral. This would be our lunch stop.

m_DSC08029_zpsdb74a541.jpg

We continued on and rejoined the Mojave Road. We would bypass Government Holes and Rock Spring and then depart from the road once again to take Lanfair Road into the small town of Goffs

Day 2 - Tuesday Continued: Goffs

Goffs is a railroad town and the main line through town was very busy.

m_DSC08037_zpsf12dddae.jpg

The main attraction in Goffs is the Schoolhouse. Unfortunately it was not open so we could not see it or walk around the yard to see all the other interesting buildings and machinery.

m_DSC08039_zpsa9898cd0.jpg

m_DSC08044_zps3d4e4ad0.jpg

m_DSC08050_zps74fe972c.jpg

m_DSC08054_zpsb68b1ea1.jpg

Old Santa Fe RR Depot

m_DSC08058_zps73d9e274.jpg

Stamp mill

m_DSC08066_zps5a5cbfc4.jpg

We had traveled far and our gas was getting low so we made a quick trip to Fenner to top off with a few gallons at $5.25 for regular unleaded. There are no gas stations in the Mojave Preserve, they are only around the border and even then some towns do not even have a station.

Reentering the preserve we would make a turn on a very little traveled road just beyond this sign.

m_DSC08067_zpsceffa900.jpg

Next stop: more mines in Lanfair Valley

Day 2 - Tuesday Continued: Lanfair Valley Mines

The Arbor Mine was not in any books I had but it was noted on a map so we stopped to check it out. Not much remained except for an old car, a vehicle frame, old camping trailer and a small head frame and mine shaft.

m_DSC08071_zpsaaf75d71.jpg

The Leiser Ray Mine was a very large site with multiple mine shafts and concrete foundations.

m_DSC08089_zpsc648d787.jpg

m_DSC08092_zps197e6d4e.jpg

Following the road north we would intersect the Mojave Road and follow it for just a short while before going north again and camping at an overlook of Piute Gorge.

m_DSC08116_zpsd084d04c.jpg

Lanfair Valley sunsets never fail to disappoint!

m_DSC08119_zps9be71594.jpg

m_DSC08128_zpsb182d879.jpg

We also had a full moon for the trip which made it nice

m_DSC08126_zpsadfcf445.jpg

..Quick question:

..When you posted..

Next was the Standard Mine which was spread over a larger area.

..Did you mean to only post a picture of a Privy?..Just checkin'

Epic trip, looks like you guys ate good:thumbsup: How much gas would you say you guys used? Doesn't have to be down to the gallon but was it a tank or tank and half, etc.

...:scratch:...A tank and a quarter...and a 1/16th I siphoned out of Brian's truck while he was sleeping just to be safe...:D

..I bought 4.6 gallons at that high price station in the middle of nowhere but probably could have made it to the end of one full tank on fumes as I did not carry a spare 5 gallons on the truck this trip..Running out of fuel in the Desert can make for a long miserable day..

..I think we did 260 miles from when we left Barstow to near the AVI with the first 30 miles Highway miles to Afton Campground...

..Quick question:

..When you posted....Did you mean to only post a picture of a Privy?..Just checkin'

The desert junk photo is also from there but I will add 2 more...

How much gas would you say you guys used?

I would say a full tank from Barstow to the Colorado River. We probably could have pushed it to the end but it would have been close. I had an extra 5 gallons and didnt need to fill up at Fenner but put in a few gallons just to be safe. I dumped the can the final morning and got to the gas station with around a half tank IIRC.

..I think we did 260 miles from when we left Barstow to near the AVI with the first 30 miles Highway miles to Afton Campground...

My GPS said 218 miles from Afton Camp to the Highway just west of the river so that sounds about right. I will address the trip mileage in another post...

Day 3 - Wednesday: Final Day on the Mojave Road

We woke up to another great sunrise. Today would be the last day on the trail and we would be on the Mojave Road for the duration. We broke camp and headed south for 3/4 of a mile to rejoin the Mojave Road. The road went down the Piute Range Summit to a power line road. The Mojave Road follows the power line road for about a mile and a half. When following the Mojave Road rock cairns provide guidance. Since we were going from the west to the east they would always be on the left side. Here is where the Mojave Road takes a slight right from the power line road

m_DSC08140_zps1862210c.jpg

The Mojave Road going up towards the Nevada border

m_DSC08143_zps2a3b40f3.jpg

Tbars near the CA/NV summit east of the Highway 95 crossing

m_DSC08144_zps3053037b.jpg

We came to the end about 2 hours after leaving camp where we aired up.

Trip data from the Afton Campground to the Needles Highway. The time is the time while moving over 3.5 mph. Mileage was 218.

m_DSC08146_zps88f69418.jpg

...Hahaha...Now that's funny and sad at the same time...:confused:

..Great trip report as always and this was a nice adventure and change from doing just the Mojave road itself..:salute:

..I'm going to see if I have some other pics to post later today but as mentioned before, pictures don't do half the justice of being out their in person taking it all in...:eek:

Thanks for the trip report. Some great pics! Sad I couldn't do the whole trip, but I had a great (if far too short) time out there with you guys :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Happy Birthday..:party:

..I know you took a bunch of pictures and hopefully you will post some too...:popcorn:

Back