• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dipped Wheels

rafamofon

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
I have a Platinum white Limited Explorer and I really like how the blacked out wheels look with the white body paint. I have never plasti dipped anything before so my question is, what is the best method for painting my wheels. should I paint them while mounted to the car or remove them? If I paint them while off of my car will the lugs nuts peel while i'm putting my wheels back on? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! If you do a search there are plenty of threads about plasti dipped wheels, mine included. You can do either/or methods, depending on your preference. I personally thought it was easier to take them off, which is why I chose that method. I wanted to leave the lugnuts unpainted just in case i had to take the wheel off in the future. Most people just masked off the brakes/calipers and then plastidipped the wheel on the car. When i put the wheel back on, I scraped away some of the plastidip around the flat surface inside the hole where the lug nut set against. I'm not talking about around the edges of the hole itself. I'm talking about the flat surface(if u look inside the hole, the circular part facing you). Otherwise, if you don't do that, u run the risk of the plastidip pealing all around inside the hole when you get the lugnut fully on. If you do decided to take the wheel off, I found it helpful to place notecards around the wheel in between the tire and wheel to control overspray so I wouldn't have the hassle of pealing the excess off when it dried. Here's a link of the finished product: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379171

Did this a couple week ago & thought I'd share ;)

null.jpg

looks good, i love plasti dip. i did the chevy bow ties on my avalanche and couldnt be happier!!!!

please show more pictures from different angles. Thank you

Here are some other angles. It really looks even better in person.

-600C-4664-AD3B-63CC9C504DF0-4559-000004966BFEBCE4.jpg

-3FD5-4A59-A605-C724EFB4453E-4559-0000049672E844AA.jpg

-F72B-4C13-AE68-756ED9CD9E20-4559-0000049666CB93FD.jpg

sweet. i think black rims look best on white car.

Truck looks amazing man! I think we have twins! Where did you get that white Ford Logo? You should do your roof racks!

8663228359_44fd01e8c7_c.jpg

Truck looks amazing man! I think we have twins! Where did you get that white Ford Logo? You should do your roof racks!

8663228359_44fd01e8c7_c.jpg

Thanks! Likewise, and my roof racks are next the my list. I got the gel overlays from DMB in the UK (I also have one on the steering wheel and plan on getting them for the rims from DMB as well). I also need to dip the chrome around the emblems ;)

XPLRTHIS, did you dip the roof racks or are those OEM?

XPLRTHIS, did you dip the roof racks or are those OEM?

Yes sir! I removed them and dipped them! Did a few coats and they came out great!

Car looks really good. I have a question for you. I purchased some plasti dipped but have been hesitant to pull the trigger. My concern is detailing/washing the car. I use a power washer to clean my wheels. Have you used a power washer to clean your wheels since plasti dipping them.

Car looks really good. I have a question for you. I purchased some plasti dipped but have been hesitant to pull the trigger. My concern is detailing/washing the car. I use a power washer to clean my wheels. Have you used a power washer to clean your wheels since plasti dipping them.

I have not used a power washer myself, but I've heard it won't hurt them as long as you don't stay in one spot too long. I think given the little bit of effort required to dip them and the fact that returning them to stock is very very easy.... Give it a try.

I have plastidipped every chrome piece on my explorer, gone through many power washes and automatic car washes and the plastidip is still going strong. I wash my car once a week at least to give you an idea.

How are the door handles holding up with all the opening and closing of doors

My door handles are holding up great. some of the excess is pealing off on the backside of the door handle but not on the front part. the door handle is two pieces so whatever is coming off on the backside is stopping at the crack.

My door handles are holding up great. some of the excess is pealing off on the backside of the door handle but not on the front part. the door handle is two pieces so whatever is coming off on the backside is stopping at the crack.

You can take the chrome part of the handle off and dip em. It works much better and wont peel. Do a search for a thread called "door handles"

I did it last week and it prob took 45 mins to do it all, very easy.

You can take the chrome part of the handle off and dip em. It works much better and wont peel. Do a search for a thread called "door handles"

I did it last week and it prob took 45 mins to do it all, very easy.

The plastidip on my the chrome part isn't peeling off. It was the excess on the black back part of the door handle.

Nice wheels

Finning215,
Did you spray over the factory coating or did you remove it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back