disappointed with aftermarket exhaust on sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

disappointed with aftermarket exhaust on sport

ixotuckeroxi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 sport
So I installed my magna flow exhaust today. At first I was excited but as we got through the install you will notice that there isn't a huge change from the oem stuff. They both have the same size piping, 2 mufflers at rear, one center muffler, and the secondary cat. In the end, compared to oem, you actually just lose 1 cat. We took it a step further and actually killed and straight piped the main muffler so i just have the 2 at the end of the bumper. Theres 2 bends outwards at the rear and even though the oem stuff isnt mandrel bent, its not that tight of a turn so it doesnt impede flow that bad (imo). The clamps suck and you still have to cut off the oem exhaust to clamp over. In the end, I'd say save your money for the down pipes (the real restriction) as the oem exhaust is not terribly inefficient. The exhaust note is decent tho. -my .02c

Save your $800 for down pipes and beer or just get a tune

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the heads up!

On this vehicle cat back is for sound, cat forward if you want to find some power.

On this vehicle cat back is for sound, cat forward if you want to find some power.

unfortunately I found this out 800 dollars later. But yeah. I'm just waiting to pull the trigger on some down pipes when they become available. Livernois stated 20 hp just from them. And I believe it too. The oem ones are mangled.

I went custom in the back(gained lotsa power not redyno'd yet tho) and custom DP's up front. Both were worthwhile but spendy. I think I have $2300. into parts/labor for both and I did about 1/2 the fab myself

Attachments

• 20140209_095959.jpg
    20140209_095959.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 20140209_164418.jpg
    20140209_164418.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 417
  • 20140209_170225.jpg
    20140209_170225.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 447
  • 20140211_121814.jpg
    20140211_121814.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 432

Aj did you reuse the oem cats? Do you remember the size of the oem downpipes? Your work looks good! I think I'm going to have my guy fab me a set of dps since everyone's dragging their feet on them.

Someone needs to develop a nice 3" turbo back exhaust

Aj did you reuse the oem cats? Do you remember the size of the oem downpipes? Your work looks good! I think I'm going to have my guy fab me a set of dps since everyone's dragging their feet on them.

The factory DP's are like 2&1/8th and badly/unneccesarily kinked from the factory for clearance. The cats in the pic(I didnt realize my new phone was set on some sorta front back tandem thing??) are from a Mercedes CLK 63, the bodies are larger and will no doubt flow more but they wont fit:mad: the extra inch or so of diameter makes them too big:( My second fail was not knowing that the stock 3 bolt flange outlet is 3" not 2.5" that I had purchased and are in the pic. So I ended up staying stock inlets before the cats(im certain its a restriction ESPECIALLY the rear cat which has a 10" long kinked inlet) and incresing to 2.5" onto the outlet of the front cat. IMO, 2.5 is the right size for the DP's, 3" does outflow 2.5's by a wide margin but good luck getting them under the K frame and crossbracing. Unless you want them dragging bumps like header collectors from the old days that is;)

Back