Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

For 10k you could get a 2006-2008 Explorer. If you can drop the 10k without it being payments on repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2004 with the 4.0L. Took it to the dealership when the chatter started getting loud. The truck had around 175k and was otherwise in good shape (was due for maintenance items like tires, brakes, etc.). They told me to trade it in.

I then went to a local shop for an estimate. I specifically told him not to bother with the maintenance items if the engine was going to cost too much to fix. He said he'd look at it and let me know. Next thing I know, I have new tires, brakes, etc. and the same engine noises. He said he's heard worse, and to just drive it until it quits because the cost to repair is so high.

About a year later, it died, got a Jasper rebuilt installed, for just under $6k.

Six months later, tranny cooler developed a nasty leak, and took the tranny with it. I now have a Jasper tranny.

Truck has 200k, and is in pretty nice shape. While I'm happy not to have a payment, I'm not happy about spending $10k on a 200,000 mile, 11-year old truck (that was already paid for).

Hopefully, I'll get several more years out of it...

Mike

That is my thought is to drop some money into it and get more years out of it vs putting the money out on payments. Although I am making payments on mine still (just for another year) it makes more sense to me to pay it off and put the money into it since I know what quirks the car has and I don't have to possibly run into the same issue with the next vehicle.

I got 280,000 out of a 94 4.0 auto Explorer, so when I was being told to trade or junk this 04, I really wasn't able to compute that thought. Of course, had I known that I'd be spending $14k over 2-3 years on this high-mileage truck, I would have surely chosen differently.

Mike

I can understand that, I have 235K on my 4.0 but was advised against purchasing another.

this reply is similar to what I posted a little bit ago in the modified forum-
From what I have read the timing issues in the V6 were mostly pre 2002, this is the first I have heard of it except for rare occasions. I'm not refuting your evidence as its pretty clear with the pics but I'm suprised.

My V6 has had a hard life and I have never touched anything on it except routine maintenance (which was often pretty overdue). Never took a bolt off the engine, also uses no oil. It is well maintained for the most part but I am pretty hard on it (constantly over GVWR, towing, off roading, -40 degree no heater starts, towing through 4k ft mountain passes in the mojave desert 105+ degrees, forgot to add oil before driving it off the ramps after a oil change and the list goes on). 192k and still running very strong, still get 20mpg when below GVWR at 70mph. This is the most reliable engine me or anyone in my family has owned. I have a few friends with the same engine and they've had the same experience.

I am considering selling it as I need something bigger and if the engine is ready to implode at 200k then it may be wise. Im no service tech but I'd be suprised if this goes....... what are the warning signs?

...got a Jasper rebuilt installed, for just under $6k.

Six months later, tranny cooler developed a nasty leak, and took the tranny with it. I now have a Jasper tranny.
Are Jasper's the best option for replacing and engine or transmission?

warning signs

. . . what are the warning signs?

On some vehicles there is no warning sign. Members have been cruising on the highway and the engine suddenly stops and then will not restart. The typical symptom is timing chain rattle at cold start.

Are Jasper's the best option for replacing and engine or transmission?

Not necessarily. Ford, Spartan, there are others. Jasper is not the holy grail some think they are. I'm not bashing but I have seen the insides of a Jasper 4L60E and I was not impressed at all.

A friend of mine recently got a reman Ford 4.0 motor. So far with about 2-3k miles on the reman, and he is happy.

The warranty is also pretty good from Ford...2 years - Unlimited Miles

A friend of mine recently got a reman Ford 4.0 motor. So far with about 2-3k miles on the reman, and he is happy.

The warranty is also pretty good from Ford...2 years - Unlimited Miles

I have a Ford Reman 4.0L motor, purchased in Oct. 2013, but mine came with a full, 3 year parts and labor warranty with unlimited miles. Wonder why they only gave your friend a 2 year warranty? I'm also happy with mine with exception to the rear Upper oil pan seal leak that started not long after it was installed into my Explorer. The Ford dealership I had the work done at took care of the leaking seal, no leaks since or any other problems with the motor, but it was a PITA because I had to drop the vehicle off with them a few times, for various number of days while they sorted out the source of the leak and repaired it. They did supply me with a few nice loaner vehicles (2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Pickup and a Chrysler Towne and Country van) during this repair work at no charge to me.

The biggest issue with the 4.0 is that the engine really needs pulled to fix the timing.
The 4.6 does have timing issues as well, mine did at 150k, but I was able to fix this with the engine in the car.

I have a Ford Reman 4.0L motor, purchased in Oct. 2013, but mine came with a full, 3 year parts and labor warranty with unlimited miles. Wonder why they only gave your friend a 2 year warranty? I'm also happy with mine with exception to the rear Upper oil pan seal leak that started not long after it was installed into my Explorer. The Ford dealership I had the work done at took care of the leaking seal, no leaks since or any other problems with the motor, but it was a PITA because I had to drop the vehicle off with them a few times, for various number of days while they sorted out the source of the leak and repaired it. They did supply me with a few nice loaner vehicles (2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Pickup and a Chrysler Towne and Country van) during this repair work at no charge to me.

You're right, it's a 3 year warranty. I was thinking of the 2 year warranty for other repairs.

unbelievable

So after reading through the original post and quite a few of the follow up posts I really cant understand your conclusions. Are you saying that people shouldn't buy this vehicle because It had timing issues at 200k miles? Because thats mostly what I saw. People with 200k plus complaining about timing problems. Yes its a pita to do the repair but any engine with the original timing components at this stage in its life is bound to have issues. Its not a flaw in design, it's wear and tear. Don't get me wrong, I did see a couple people mention somewhat lower mileage but nowhere near something that requires a consumer warning.

If these timing components were failing under 150k then I might second guess a purchase dependant on what my mechanical and financial abilities are. but 200k? Come on.

Btw....My 02 sport trac has 128k and I'm replacing timing components. But I love my truck and I have the ability and skill to do the job.

missed the point

I guess I should have been more clear in my original post to make the point. In this area the asking price for a 2002 in good condition with the V6 engine is now around $3,500. If the vehicle has the original cassettes then they could fail at any time. The cost to have a dealer replace the cassettes or the engine could be $3,500 or more. The asking price of a 2002 with failed cassettes is around $1500 to $2,000. Why purchase a vehicle that risks losing $1,500 or more ($3,500 - $2000) and the purchase cost of a replacement vehicle, or could require an additional $3,500 to keep it running when more reliable (and less expensive to repair) vehicles are available for about the same price?

On the other hand, if you're a home mechanic with space, time, special tools and the knowledge and inclination to make your own repairs you could purchase a 2002 with bad cassettes for $2000 and have a fairly reliable vehicle for another $1,000 in parts.

Its not a flaw in design, it's wear and tear.

The timing setup on the 4.0 SOHC is a ridiculously flawed design.

What other manufacturer ever produced an engine with timing chains on the back of the motor? And plastic guides made so cheaply that they tended to grenade and destroy the engine?

The 4.0 SOHC should have never made it off the drawing board.

The timing setup on the 4.0 SOHC is a ridiculously flawed design.

What other manufacturer ever produced an engine with timing chains on the back of the motor? And plastic guides made so cheaply that they tended to grenade and destroy the engine?

The 4.0 SOHC should have never made it off the drawing board.

Not disagreeing with this, the location is bad. However, its not just a Ford thing. My parents crv and my friends ridgeline both had the timing parts replaced before 140k. I'll gladly take my completley trouble free 200k over that. That includes forgetting to add oil and running it for >1 minute after a oil change.

I have a v8 with 127k miles. Just recently, I heard the timing chain death rattle for the first time.

What should I do? Replace the timing chain assembly soon, or wait till the car stops running. If I wait till it stops running, will further damage be done?

I do not plan on getting rid of the car for a long while. Thank you.

repair it

From what I've read catastrophic timing chain failure rarely happens on the 4.6L. The plastic in the cassette guides wear but the metal reinforced guides don't break. When the chains begin to contact metal surfaces metal particles end up in the oil. The particles go thru the oil pump but should get trapped by the filter to avoid bearing damage. Eventually, the chains will fail from wear. Fortunately, replacing the cassettes only requires removing the front cover instead of removing the engine. Here's a photo of an Aviator DOHC V8 I purchased to install in my next project vehicle (2002 Explorer) if I can ever find one at a reasonable price that is RWD with the SOHC V8.
TimingChains.jpg

If your engine chains are making noise I suggest you repair what's needed without waiting a long time. If your hydraulic tensioners need to be replaced try to find the metal ones. Ford "cheaped out" at some point and started using composite tensioners which are prone to failure. That could be your only problem. I suspect all of the DOHC V8s have the metal tensioners (mine does) but your SOHC V8 may have the composite ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all comes down to planned obsolescence.

Back