Help! Rebuilt 5r55w/s transmission trouble. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Rebuilt 5r55w/s transmission trouble.

Banks6485

Reaction score
City, State
Selkirk, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I’m new to this site. I need help with my trans, long story but here goes,
About a month ago, my over drive sprag over heated and exploded and sent little chunks of metal throughout my trans. Before that everyday I had this power steering buzzing at start up, and would go away once the motor (and transmission) would warm up, I thought it was the power steering, but later learned, it was the pump control valve, after the sprag exploded driving at 55 mph, I slowed down and shut off the engine, I restarted it and found out I completely lost 2nd and 4th. Anyway got it home, took it out and saw what had happened, my over drive section lost lubrication and over heated the sprag, I completely cleaned everything, by hand, I ordered a deluxe level 2 rebuild kit from transparts warehouse, I also ordered the new sprag and sun gear, a transgo shift kit, oil cooler and lines, and a reman torque converter. The converter I got from eBay, they said someone ordered the wrong converter, anyway I tested the solenoid pack and it tested fine, as well as the 3 sensor’s, I installed the shift kit correctly and modified the overdrive sungear adapter plate so that it would get more lubrication into the overdrive sprag, I’m pretty confident that I installed everything correctly and put everything back together correctly, when I finished everything and was ready to reinstall the trans, I added 10 quarts of mercon v, and a quart of Lucas into the trans before install, I put a quart of trans fluid in the torque converter, just so it wasn’t dry on its first start, so that’s 11 all together. I started the truck and let it get warm, i went thru all the gears, everything seemed fine, so I went for a test drive, 1st 2nd and 3rd gear was completely fine and felt great, going into 4th it flared, caught for a second and slipped out of gear, at witch time I left off the gas and turned around back to home. I added another quart of trans fluid, witch was burping out now, a steady dribbling I guess you could say, so I felt like it was full, took it for a test drive and again flared going into 4th but held and when it went to shift into overdrive, it flared again and just wouldn’t catch, it just neutraled out. So I turned around, and tried again but this time it wouldn’t hold 4th or 5th again it kept slipping, the o.d. Light flashed so I limped it home, also there’s a second delay going into revers too. I just don’t understand what could be the problem, I let it cool off and get cold and then drove down the street, that time no delay going into reverse and 4th gear held and flared and slipped into 5th, but after installing the shift kit and overhaul kit, you would think it would run like a champ, but no, also I unplugged my negative battery cable the whole time the tranny was out, so about a month. That should be enough time for the computers to reset? I’m stuck and don’t know what to do now, iv spent a lot of money and don’t want to spend anymore on anything that won’t fix anything. What could it be though? The servo pin bores worn out? Trans fluid still to low? Other bad solenoid valves that the shift kit didn’t replace? I didn’t adjust the bands correct? But I’m pretty sure i did it right, I tightened until 9 or 10ftlb then backed off 2 turns. Please guys no disrespect or a-holes, I’m new to transmission but can rebuild a 350 motor. So I’m not an air head, lol, all help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

A15B6CC3-1E3C-4A9B-9706-063097723FB1.jpeg

09DE2974-120E-47F7-A2AE-DCE99F5935F8.jpeg

49DC1F3F-6E03-4B97-95D8-DFA58D817095.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked hydraulic pressures? Should be nice and steady, if jumping around, pressure control solenoids may be intermittently causing trouble.

Have you checked hydraulic pressures? Should be nice and steady, if jumping around, pressure control solenoids may be intermittently causing trou
Have you checked hydraulic pressures? Should be nice and steady, if jumping around, pressure control solenoids may be intermittently causing trouble.
i Have not check pressure only because I don’t know how and don’t have the tools, would bad iss and oss cause this also?

I tested them with a meter, and all tested in range.

If 4th gear is the one that is giving you trouble and you have a delay into reverse it would indicate a problem with the direct clutch drum, this drum is needed to have 4th, 5th and reverse. Could be a cut sealing ring on the center support or a problem with the seals in the drum itself or a leak in the hydraulic circuit, maybe you forgot to tighten the torx bolt under the valve body that tightens down the center support.

You may be pulling the valve body and air checking the direct clutch drum, this should let you know if the transmission will have to come back out.

5r55w air check.JPG

If 4th gear is the one that is giving you trouble and you have a delay into reverse it would indicate a problem with the direct clutch drum, this drum is needed to have 4th, 5th and reverse. Could be a cut sealing ring on the center support or a problem with the seals in the drum itself or a leak in the hydraulic circuit, maybe you forgot to tighten the torx bolt under the valve body that tightens down the center support.

You may be pulling the valve body and air checking the direct clutch drum, this should let you know if the transmission will have to come back out.

View attachment 327157
Ok, thank you so much for the info, now I have a direction to move in, when I check the forward clutch, should I hear any air leaking out? Or should it engage from the air and not leak? Again, thank you for your time.

Make sure you check the direct clutch, you will hear some air leakage but you should also have a good "thunk" when air is applied. Use the forward and coast clutch air check to get a idea for what it should sound like.

Ok, thank you, I will do the air check and report back
Make sure you check the direct clutch, you will hear some air leakage but you should also have a good "thunk" when air is applied. Use the forward and coast clutch air check to get a idea for what it should sound like

Make sure you check the direct clutch, you will hear some air leakage but you should also have a good "thunk" when air is applied. Use the forward and coast clutch air check to get a idea for what it should sound like.
Just a quick question, would bad speed sensors cause that? I’m just curious.

No the speed sensors would not single out just one gear, you would problems in other ranges too.

No the speed sensors would not single out just one gear, you would problems in other ranges too.
Ok, another thing, Andy wanie from superior emailed me back, or one of his people, lol, I explained the whole situation to him and this is what he said, “I honestly do not have a good thought on this one maybe the shaft was damaged when the sprag went?” Is this a possibility?

Ok, another thing, Andy wanie from superior emailed me back, or one of his people, lol, I explained the whole situation to him and this is what he said, “I honestly do not have a good thought on this one maybe the shaft was damaged when the sprag went?” Is this a possibility?
I think he’s talking about the center support shaft, but how could that affect 4th and overdrive?

I picked up a code reader just now from Walmart and scanned my truck, I got a code for p0775, I have second gear so it’s not the servo right?

I picked up a code reader just now from Walmart and scanned my truck, I got a code for p0775, I have second gear so it’s not the servo right?
The p0775 code is a companion code there should be a gear ratio code too like p0733 or p0734, you may need a better scanner to get everything and that can lead you understanding what might be going on.

If you are sure about everything inside the transmission you may want to try another solenoid block, they can give issues like this.

The p0775 code is a companion code there should be a gear ratio code too like p0733 or p0734, you may need a better scanner to get everything and that can lead you understanding what might be going on.

If you are sure about everything inside the transmission you may want to try another solenoid block, they can give issues like this.
Ok so I air tested the forward and direct drum, they tested good, I heard the thunk and barley any air escaping, i retested the solenoid pack again and it tested fine, I was thinking though, could the pump cause this? I left the old one in from when it got hot,

And I hear I slight whine on start up for a second or 2 but then his away. Only when it’s cold though.

Back