Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

Given that I've got nearly brand new Motorcraft wires that I bought before blowing the engine up a couple of years ago, they're worth giving a shot with the OBX headers before stepping up to Taylor/Magnecor?
I would think yes with the proper Insulation socks. Wires should be fairly easy to change out if it ever comes to that. Just try to route the wires as far away from the headers as possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes definitely, use the Ford wires and spend extra time routing them, to make them stay as far away from the headers as possible.

Installed the gauge cluster from XP8 99-0044 today

Also noticed that Saleen may have (per Russell) used a diesel ranger as template for the gauge faces as this is the light that shows up where the air ride suspension light is on normal Explorers that our optioned. Water in Fuel?? I’ve never seen that light and it doesn’t show up on the manual for either the 98 or 2000 Explorer
B15A3254-670E-488D-B683-E576F024A2BF.jpeg
616813A4-4BC8-4678-8A76-309F0BD49454.jpeg
42A63187-35B1-4DEB-B6A8-D79F268345DB.png
9D52B7B5-378C-4642-9FCF-67995DC65E3B.png

I like that, but is it still green, or is it blue?

I like that, but is it still green, or is it blue?
In the photos it looks blue but in life it's green. Not exactly the green of the shift indicator - but still green. Saleen didn't put alot of effort to match the color. Same for not changing the faces to match the gauge warning light changes for the later Explorers (Full Cap versus Fuel Reset, etc)

Those details are what I found working with the 95-97 cluster I have. There are a couple of slight difference of the wording of some positions of the face. I'd like to be able to find someone who can make those cluster faces, and alter them slightly.

Those details are what I found working with the 95-97 cluster I have. There are a couple of slight difference of the wording of some positions of the face. I'd like to be able to find someone who can make those cluster faces, and alter them slightly.
The older ones - like 95, 96 are very different. In 98 you had Fuel Reset on the left then in 99 or 2000 it changed to fuel cap. Saleen glued their faces to the cluster so no go on removing them. If you want real OEM quality custom faces (not the aftermarket junk from years past) - I can get it done but need 20 people to buy into it at $250.00 each. I have been looked into making a 150/160 MPH Speedo for the Explorer and up to 8000 RPM tach if you wanted it. Can add any custom text (just like the Saleen on the Tach) or whatever is desired. 100% same quality and look as OEM

I do like the idea of it, but I would like to be farther along in my project before I'd want to make some of those detail decisions. I think 6000rpm is okay for 302 based engines, I could see 7k too, but I'd like to be using as much of the gauges as possible. I like the basic layout very well, every so often I wonder about a small change on a couple of things.

070E7558-2129-4D27-8569-0BF335B622BD.jpeg

View attachment 332198
Picked up and going to try out the SR Performance 75mm throttle body recommended in this thread. If it turns out to be crap then I’ll get an Accufab. I need to modify the linkage to work with the explorer and will use a 95 Cobra TPS with it.

New toys, go man go!

Some of the parts laid out for the install on to Big White Still waiting on radiator/electric fan setup, new boost gauge display unit, other miscellaneous items and Cobra TPS.
1B9D2495-9AE8-4D69-8EC0-CE76B6008F27.jpeg
F4F00EF9-1DC6-4497-8278-A4AFD0EF99F6.jpeg
E999373A-AF86-4C14-99EA-D672ED4F304F.jpeg
E440F3D7-2A67-45F7-8C21-41135564C4F6.jpeg

So I’ve ran into my first snag of what I expect will be several with this installation. Turns out the powerdyne supplied harmonic balancer that was originally supplied with this Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne kit is missing. Looking through very old posts here on the forum it seems as the original owner of the kit decided to leave it on his truck after testing it out. After speaking to Don, Russell, Tim plus Ron at Damper Dudes - hoping the pulley and can be mounted to the stock balancer.

Took off my stock balancer and apparently due to age it is shot. Tried to test fit the billet sleeve and as it is will not sit down inside the hole on the balancer. Possibly could be built up crud on the stock balancer or maybe powerdyne machined out a fraction of material on their balancer to get it to fit. Anybody know if there’s a difference between the stock balancer and the one that came with the powerdyne kit?

I have attached pictures of my balancer and the attempt to place the sleeve down inside. You can see the rubber on the balancer is shot as well.

32E66CF8-FC6A-484A-BA59-CAF1D5C57376.jpeg

205D7932-C639-498E-A199-A7A8B5C1720F.jpeg

CFE6F1F0-A5BC-406E-913F-A920E1193DD9.jpeg

F1E17C35-2F86-4FC0-8620-65A52BF0D061.jpeg

A5B8292F-D418-455C-A549-64F601BA4B90.jpeg

I hope you can find a nice balancer that will work with that spacer and the Powerdyne pulley.

Here's the picture I have of the Power Bond unit I installed as a replacement for my stock 302 in my Black Coal project Explorer; I hope that one will work for your spacer if you get it to try out.

Balancer 50oz PB1463ST.JPG

I adapted a Kenne Bell F150/Bronco kit. Ugggghh, I spent over $500 getting the stock balancer machined to properly fit the blower pulley. I tried bolting-up a pulley, with a spacer, couldn't get it perfectly centered and it had a little wobble. It ate a belt in no time and I went to the machine shop. Good luck!

I adapted a Kenne Bell F150/Bronco kit. Ugggghh, I spent over $500 getting the stock balancer machined to properly fit the blower pulley. I tried bolting-up a pulley, with a spacer, couldn't get it perfectly centered and it had a little wobble. It ate a belt in no time and I went to the machine shop. Good luck!
I am hoping that this turns out to be a bit more simple. Hoping that Powerdyne didn't put some huge engineering effort into their supplied "modified balancer" (as they called it). One can only hope. I know that the original owner of the kit wrote back in posts years ago that he tried the stock balancer because he thought he was having problems with it (turns out it was the fan spacer) and made no mention of any issues.. I guess we shall see.

Hoping Rocket sees this post and can offer some input. Kris made a comment on my truck's Facebook page which said "When me and russell installed the kit it looked like the balancer just was machined to except the adapter."

Here's another old post from 2002 regarding the balancer and pulley on the powerdyne kit

I know all of you know the story of my s/c install, well, get this... I went to order a new pulley and spacer ($320) to fit inside the crankshaft setup. Well, Powerdyne ((*$%&*), sent me the wrong parts, instead they sent me the crankshaft/balancer assembly ($380). Well, I kept it incase I found out that the one on the car was different and I just went ahead and ordered the spacer and pulley again. Well, I get the stuff in the mail (again) and the spacer would not fit into my factory assembly to I looked at the one "designed for the powerdyne setup" and it had FORD writting on it! So, I took mine out, and took the one from powerdyne, brought them to a local machine shop and had it milled out to look like the powerdyne one for $40. Isn't that some S&$#%t! They charge you for the same part that you have already except they mill it out a little! I am sending this one back to powerdyne and getting a refund for $400 (shipping to). I thought that was a scam...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Powerdyne Supercharger Installation and upgrades - Part 2

Valve covers came off today and prepared to install new 7R3Z-9F593-AA injectors. Had to do some modifications to the fuel rails for the shorter injectors. Also installed the new Walbro 255 fuel pump into the tank. The new harmonic balancer came in and went to the machine shop to fit the spacer that the drive pulley attaches to.

FFE68FDC-B37D-470F-BA83-7FAB9C3B507F.jpeg

8C9435D6-4183-455D-ACAA-741D05B0E5F6.jpeg

E977CB90-ED72-4B6B-B5F1-BFF3CAFB08C5.jpeg

47EE424E-05B1-4CEF-A5C6-3CC9AAF35F33.jpeg

Back