Having a hell of a time compressing the springs on my struts. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Having a hell of a time compressing the springs on my struts.

Reaction score
City, State
DAVIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I'm trying to replace the strut mount on my original motorcraft front strut assembly on my 2011 XLT. I got assembly out and removed the old strut mount but I'm having a hell of a time with the basic $40 spring compression tool. When I removed the strut mount, the spring must've not been compressed enough and released a bit more after removing the top nut. I say this because the spring was not nearly compressed enough to install the new strut mount. Now I can't seem to the get the dang spring compressed enough to install it, period.

I figure I'm just doing it wrong but is it possible the type of spring compressor is just meant for smaller springs? I just can't figure out a good place to mount the tool that doesn't block the installation of the spring on the base or the new strut mount on the top. If anybody has a pics of how I should be using this tool on my specific springs, I'd be grateful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to replace the strut mount on my original motorcraft front strut assembly on my 2011 XLT. I got assembly out and removed the old strut mount but I'm having a hell of a time with the basic $40 spring compression tool. When I removed the strut mount, the spring must've not been compressed enough and released a bit more after removing the top nut. I say this because the spring was not nearly compressed enough to install the new strut mount. Now I can't seem to the get the dang spring compressed enough to install it, period.

I figure I'm just doing it wrong but is it possible the type of spring compressor is just meant for smaller springs? I just can't figure out a good place to mount the tool that doesn't block the installation of the spring on the base or the new strut mount on the top. If anybody has a pics of how I should be using this tool on my specific springs, I'd be grateful.
Update: I tried again today and failed. Car’s sitting in my friend’s driveway so after about an hour of trying this way and that way I gave up, removed the other strut assembly and brought it to a shop that’ll probably charge me an hour’s labor to properly install the new strut mounts.
Mechanic at the shop told me it’s a pain to compress these kinds springs with the basic tool but he was prob just being nice. Uploading photos of a few attempts. You can see the springs are compressed about as far as they’ll go and still I need about a couple inches more to bolt on the strut mounts. There’s gotta be a way but I sure didn’t find it.

4CE85028-B1AD-469D-B3C6-22BC3E96A812.jpeg

264CABD2-76DD-4FE3-AF84-A68B78BC786B.jpeg

61AADE93-D1E6-4B23-8917-54BB6EEF9766.jpeg

Quick strut is definitely the way to go haha.

It looks like you need to expand your clamping distance. Additionally you want to apply equal clamping force. You have one clamp higher than the other and that is not going to work well. In theory, the spring will compress easier the farther apart the clamps are from each other.

Maybe the spring is just too tall, but I wonder if this could have been accomplished if you had TWO sets of those to continue compressing after you got the coils closer together so the reach on the 2nd set could add one more loop of it.

Personally, if I had the struts off anyway, I would have replaced them too considering 10 years old.

I also could not compress the spring enough to install new Strut with OEM TOOLS IN PICTURE. Takin old off no problem but had to compress ALOT. Stopped by local mechanic with new struts old springs and new mounts and for $100.00 I was back in business.
Should have not bothered to even try to dissemble and reassemble. I have used this tool on a few Hondas without issue these Ford Springs are too big I guess.

My recommendation don't bother just take the old assembled strut out and bring the parts to mechanic to remove and assemble the new strut or go with quick strut. I wanted the stock ride so I didn't go with quick struts but yes that is an easier option as well.

22222.png

Quickstruts are pretty junky, from anyone I know who has used them. The ones on my Subaru didn’t last 4 years, and 10k.

I still think the potential solution is to use two sets (3x or 4x pieces) of spring compressors.

Get the compressors as far apart as you can in the spring to start, meaning you have to get them on the bottom or top coil as much as possible, a bigger spread.
Then put them 180 away from each other and see if you can get the length you need for the shock to go in

Back