How to: - Front Upper Strut Mount Replacement - 5th gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Front Upper Strut Mount Replacement - 5th gen

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
Got the notorious "Twang" sound coming from my Ex when turning the steering wheel, so it was time to replace strut mounts.

I know others like to do a simple quick strut replacement, but I've seen issues with non-OEM struts and springs and nothing was wrong with my originals, so I went with just replacing the mounts. If I could just get the bearing for the mounts, I'd probably go that route even.

Maybe a little more work, but it can save you an alignment as mounts shouldn't affect it as much as a whole new strut.

Only thing that I will add to this is to make sure you don't pull the hub away too far and pull the CV apart if you can help it. Mine slipped out, but I got it back in after rotating the rotor/hub a little. Just one thing to watch out for.

I used a clamshell type compressor instead of the twin screw types everyone sees. I kinda like to get my hands on either a twin screw type with a safety spacer bar or one that is a single screw with interchangable spring holding arms. Seems like there isn't a perfect compressor out there besides the $800 wall mount ones.

Thanks for the how to video. I set you up with a 3 month Elite membership for your contribution:chug:

Back