1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kudos also for the most extensive interior rehab I've ever seen! (Glad I didn't have to face doing that on mine.)
Thanks! Honestly. While it is a bunch of work, its not that hard really. My problem is I basically tackled the entire EX at one time. The good news for me is that the end is in sight!

BEDF3655-F08C-4DA1-8EAE-8CEE135BAECF.jpeg
7D7CF4E5-F8C4-4D0A-ACFE-A0347070B1A2.jpeg
866E140B-BCA0-4DDE-9C80-4B4FAE59919F.jpeg

Front seats are done. Cluster trim and knee panel are done. New center console lid installed. Getting closer.

Very good. Have you replaced all of the door striker bushings, the hatch too if needed? Lubricate all of the door latches also, and the hood release cable if that's possible. I thought of those today since I've had an issue with my rear hatch not latching properly. I had one striker full apart last week too, that got me started with the lubricating etc.

Very good. Have you replaced all of the door striker bushings, the hatch too if needed? Lubricate all of the door latches also, and the hood release cable if that's possible. I thought of those today since I've had an issue with my rear hatch not latching properly. I had one striker full apart last week too, that got me started with the lubricating etc.
Havent done that yet. But I’ll put it on the list. Currently the number 1 objective is to get a license plate on this baby.

If you need any strikers, Rock Auto was the cheapest for the Dorman items, used to be about $7 each. Some have made PEX pipe work, I haven't worked that out myself yet.

Funny the license plate, my Ranchero I bought someone installed a hitch that extends through the bumper where the plate goes. They made a halfassed license plate mount that uses a simple hitch pin clip. It's unsecure and not even straight, I bought a proper heavy gauge steel hitch mounting plate. But that turns out to not line up with where they located the locking pin hole, and the hole is too small. So I need to drill a new larger hole, forward an inch or so. This just reminds me of another task I didn't finish last year.:(

If you need any strikers, Rock Auto was the cheapest for the Dorman items, used to be about $7 each. Some have made PEX pipe work, I haven't worked that out myself yet.

Funny the license plate, my Ranchero I bought someone installed a hitch that extends through the bumper where the plate goes. They made a halfassed license plate mount that uses a simple hitch pin clip. It's unsecure and not even straight, I bought a proper heavy gauge steel hitch mounting plate. But that turns out to not line up with where they located the locking pin hole, and the hole is too small. So I need to drill a new larger hole, forward an inch or so. This just reminds me of another task I didn't finish last year.:(
Well, that's not the problem I have. I mean that I need to get this truck legal and on the road. There will be a second round of extreme upkeep coming. But this EX needs to have a driver behind the wheel asap at this point.

That is true, and it's easier to fix one when it's driveable.

My Ranchero is 23 miles away and it's very hard to start. I need it at home where I have my tools and supplies. I have to get outside and fix another one here to make room to swap things around. Crack the whip, get to it already(me). Night,

That is true, and it's easier to fix one when it's driveable.

My Ranchero is 23 miles away and it's very hard to start. I need it at home where I have my tools and supplies. I have to get outside and fix another one here to make room to swap things around. Crack the whip, get to it already(me). Night,
Hearing you Don.
Out of sight
Out of mind

The second round of upkeep will include, 1) Rear differential service, including new axle seals and bearings, just because 253K. 2) Transmission service and Jmod 3) Bilstein shocks including the rear anti wrap shock. 4) Decent modern Stereo. 5) Drivers door hinge pins and bronze bushings. It's not real bad now, but is showing wear. 6) Dash designs Neoprene seat covers front and rear 6) Window tint (we live in Las Vegas).

Replace the parking brake pads while in there, I've got those parts ready for mine too, when I get the flat space to do that.

Isn't it hot in Vegas? My Ranchero I had shipped from North Las Vegas last year, and it doesn't have AC.

Try to tint the windshield too, to protect the dash etc. It comes in super light, 90% or more rated. I loved that for my last Lincoln, it also helped with oncoming drivers. Nobody will know it's there unless they think to look really close at the edges.

What brand are the new ball joints? Always a good idea to clean the cups before you press the new joints in
Looking good

What brand are the new ball joints? Always a good idea to clean the cups before you press the new joints in
Looking good
I cleaned up the cups with some 80grit sandpaper then blasted it with brake cleaner. I used Duralast Gold ball joints from Autozone.

One of the other things I've been considering is pulling the lock cylinders from the doors and rear hatch and having them key matched to the ignition lock cylinder. Would be about $110. Then I could install the front door panels and the armrests I got from Kidd7 and move on. The rear hatch lock actuator is kinda wonky. I'd love to deal with all that before I put it back together. But at this point in the project the budget is thin.. SO choices have to be made..

Spray those latches well with PB Blaster etc, and I like white lithium for grease. Usually they work a lot better after that.

Took some time to replace the trans mount today. It needed it.
CDE5DE64-BC06-4A36-BAF6-B2302F7EF6A1.jpeg
DB28D7A8-B182-4BBF-854F-F3737E8345BB.jpeg

I took the EX out on the first official drive today. Took it a few miles to put fuel into it. Keep in mind that It really needs a wheel alignment, but it drove pretty well. But I believe that I have discovered the vacuum leak that is causing the strange idle. The brake booster is definitely bad. Getting a replacement delivered now.

I took the EX out on the first official drive today. Took it a few miles to put fuel into it. Keep in mind that It really needs a wheel alignment, but it drove pretty well. But I believe that I have discovered the vacuum leak that is causing the strange idle. The brake booster is definitely bad. Getting a replacement delivered now.
Where did you get yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back