New Timberline Owner Aux Light Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Timberline Owner Aux Light Question

BradTimberline

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Timberline
Hi All! New here. I purchased the Timberline Off-Road LED Grille Aux Light kit and the install was going smoothly until I needed to remove the light wire harness protective caps. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
20220911_104734_resized.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All! New here. I purchased the Timberline Off-Road LED Grille Aux Light kit and the install was going smoothly until I needed to remove the light wire harness protective caps. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!View attachment 434287
UPDATE: I figured it out. Pull out red tab push down on lever in between red tab and the solid cap and pull.

I saw a Timberline at the Bills training camp about a month ago and I was wishing my Platinum was that cool (it's not).
Nice vehicle choice and nice work on the connectors too!

UPDATE: I figured it out. Pull out red tab push down on lever in between red tab and the solid cap and pull.
When I did mine, I started to take off the entire grill, since there were 0 directions with it and not even a YouTube video yet.... They look good once they are on, and it's so simple, but it can make you feel real dumb trying to figure it out! Welcome to the Forum and enjoy it. FYI, you cannot turn them on with the highbeams on, I've tried even with Bambi Mode on they won't all work at the same time.

When I did mine, I started to take off the entire grill, since there were 0 directions with it and not even a YouTube video yet.... They look good once they are on, and it's so simple, but it can make you feel real dumb trying to figure it out! Welcome to the Forum and enjoy it. FYI, you cannot turn them on with the highbeams on, I've tried even with Bambi Mode on they won't all work at the same time.
Strange you can't run all at once! I pulled instructions down from the web but for that step it just said remove protective caps...thanks Ford! Not sure where I would have started without any instructions.

Strange you can't run all at once! .................................
Perhaps with them ON in conjunction with the high beams the vehicle may exceed the maximum amount of light it can legally produce.

Peter

Doesn't seem strange at all - even on my 07 I can't have the high beams and the fog lamps on at the same time. The fog lamps will automatically shut off if you turn the high beams on.
From the Ford site:
...Ford Performance auxiliary lights with an output of 160,000 candelas to illuminate nighttime trails. This equates to 2.5 times the brightness of the Explorer Timberline high-beam headlamps.
Is it really any surprise that they wouldn't allow both to be on at the same time?

Doesn't seem strange at all - even on my 07 I can't have the high beams and the fog lamps on at the same time. The fog lamps will automatically shut off if you turn the high beams on.
From the Ford site:
...Ford Performance auxiliary lights with an output of 160,000 candelas to illuminate nighttime trails. This equates to 2.5 times the brightness of the Explorer Timberline high-beam headlamps.
Is it really any surprise that they wouldn't allow both to be on at the same time?
Every car I've ever owned with fog lamps, since my 1995 Mercury Mystique, then Infiniti G35 and my 2010 Lincoln MKZ all turned off when on highbeam. The Infiniti even used the same lamp just aimed differently for both functions. The others had separate ones in the bumper like the Explorer but turned off when switched to high beam.

Most states it is the law to be illegal to run fog lights and high beam at the same time. So it make sense for the car manufactures to build them that way. Just part of being DOT compliant.

I haven’t had any issue turning on my Aux lights with my high beams on. I did notice that the low beam lights have to be on to use the Aux lights, but once they’re on I can activate high beams/aux lights no problem. I even have a set of ditch lights I run with them.

Perhaps with them ON in conjunction with the high beams the vehicle may exceed the maximum amount of light it can legally produce.

Peter
Well the aux light bars exceed that on their own. They even come with rubber covers bc some states don't allow lights that exceed highway operable lumens to even be installed while driving on the highway without being obsured during highway operation. But that varies state to state. Still, most states (if not all) would prohibit them actually being on, they just don't require them to be covered (i.e. they just trust the driver).

Burying the lead hear, but mine WILL turn on with the high beams. But not fog, hi and aux simultaneously. But someone already mentioned that hi + fog may be a DOT violation. Idk though.

Maybe it's a power issue?

Well the aux light bars exceed that on their own. They even come with rubber covers bc some states don't allow lights that exceed highway operable lumens to even be installed while driving on the highway without being obsured during highway operation. But that varies state to state. Still, most states (if not all) would prohibit them actually being on, they just don't require them to be covered (i.e. they just trust the driver).

Burying the lead hear, but mine WILL turn on with the high beams. But not fog, hi and aux simultaneously. But someone already mentioned that hi + fog may be a DOT violation. Idk though.

Maybe it's a power issue?
This might be one of the best explanations , well said KooKookachoo! (I also felt the need to respond purely so I could type you username and smile) :D It is NOT a DOT violation to have on your Highs+ Fogs together, but most manufacturers set vehicles to not allow that to happen, mostly as a curtesy to other drivers and a way to indicate if you are running High or Low Beams.

Some states around me, like VA do have state laws prohibiting Hi Beams being on with any other driving lights (at least for CDL, I learned that the hard way at 3am in the middle of nowhere one night); they are also one who requires any "off-road" light to be covered while driving on the highway. DOT suggest it not happen, but they leave it up to the state to decide, since what is considered a road can vary in states and regions.

With ForScan and Bambi mode, you can make it happen, which is what I have on my Timberline. So I can have my High, Low, and Fogs all running at the same time. I know @dubski_22 said he can get his AUX and HI on together, which is accurate; I was incorrect on my post they responded it, and said my Highs wouldn't stay on, but I meant Fog, even with Bambi Mode. I will admit, as blind as I am at night, running all 4 sets of lights would be overkill and would probably drain the battery.

Some states, like KY where I live, actually encourage CDL drivers to use their Highs, and Guard lights whenever they are not on a highway and driving at night. I always tried to not blind other drivers, but I only ever had 1 cop say something to me about it, and he was KSP who was new and bored.

Hi All! New here. I purchased the Timberline Off-Road LED Grille Aux Light kit and the install was going smoothly until I needed to remove the light wire harness protective caps. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!View attachment 434287
Any tips for removing the bezel? Always nervous removing things like that. Also, just to clarify, the protective caps to be removed are on the plug attached to the aux lights?

Any tips for removing the bezel? Always nervous removing things like that. Also, just to clarify, the protective caps to be removed are on the plug attached to the aux lights?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully, someone with a Timberline will be able to answer the question.

Peter

Yeah, I saw those but aren't real detailed. Always like getting input from somebody that has already done the work.
You're gonna feel like you are, or have, broken them.... They are on there pretty well, I took a metal drywall spreader to get it off, but anything small and flat will work to get behind it. Start at a corner and slowly work your way around the edges. Once that's off, it becomes pretty self explanatory and plug-n-play. Getting that bezel is easily the scariest part of the install.

As Petrek9 said, Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to pick the brains of the other Timberline owners. There are more and more joining here all the time, so hopefully we can all help each other with some of the things that are different for us!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're gonna feel like you are, or have, broken them.... They are on there pretty well, I took a metal drywall spreader to get it off, but anything small and flat will work to get behind it. Start at a corner and slowly work your way around the edges. Once that's off, it becomes pretty self explanatory and plug-n-play. Getting that bezel is easily the scariest part of the install.

As Petrek9 said, Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to pick the brains of the other Timberline owners. There are more and more joining here all the time, so hopefully we can all help each other with some of the things that are different for us!
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go. Can you tell me about the protective cap for the wiring? It sound like the OP said the cap was on the wiring attached to the light?? is that correct?

Back