Does anyone know how to add a custom PID in the car scanner app? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know how to add a custom PID in the car scanner app?

I looked around and cannot find the SOC PID value (PID address).
If I change the connection profile to 'Bronco 2021' in the Car Scanner app, the SOC value is monitored.
Therefore, it is expected that the SOC value can be monitored by entering additional PIDs in the 'Ford OBD-II / EOBD + CAN and Extra PIDs' profile.

20230306_202048.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ That's better than nothing but won't provide a reliable SOC. Until the output of the alternator (per the RPM) is exceeded, it will raise voltage more on a battery that is more drained, and this charging is dynamic through the BMS, so the charging
state will change based on driving conditions.

Engine off is a different story, can approximate % of possible charge (but not health of battery, remaining capacity) from the voltage, but considering DFIG appears to want to do this in realtime with a tablet, it seems more like a while-driving monitoring that is wanted.

I wonder if it's worth the bother. The BMS already warns the driver if battery SOC or other operating parameters are questionable. Heh, even the less sophisticated BMS on my '14 Explorer, gave a warning back in November and the vehicle has had no problems starting and running all winter till now, with the message not reoccuring. It had merely sat for about a week in November so had self discharged more than normal.
You are right. However, the other day I had a battery in danger of being discharged because the BMS did not work properly after I increased the battery charge limit from 80% to 85% on Foscan. After doing the BMS relearning(not reset) it came back to normal, but if I could have monitored the SOC values I could have taken action sooner.
I want to monitor the SOC value because it is too cumbersome to open the bonnet every time and use a battery tester to check the battery condition. And I think it's definitely possible.

20230306_202048.jpg

You can hookup a multimeter on your battery terminals to measure the parasitic draw which should give you an idea of how the well the electric system is operating. The steps to do this are better documented on YouTube.

You should be able to monitor the battery voltage at the OBD2 adapter and at the ECU without needing a PID
Of course I have a battery multimeter, and I use it often. However, since it is cumbersome to open the bonnet and connect a multimeter to the battery each time to check, I always want to monitor the SOC value through the app.

Post on Forscan's forum asking what that PID should be for a '17 Explorer. At least the developer has to know in order to get it to work on Forscan.

Here's the latest update.

I no longer need to know the PID value.
I sent several emails from the developer of the 'Car Scanner' app and received a reply.

The developer sent me a short and simple reply.
'Hello. No problem, I'll copy soc and Tpms from Bronco to Ford +CAN.'

Now, I can additionally monitor the battery temperature and TPMS value, including the SOC value, in the app I use.

In the vehicle, it will notify me with a warning when an abnormality occurs in the SOC and TPMS values, but if I can see the numbers before the warning appears in the car and notice it in advance, it will be very helpful to me in that I can avoid the worst situation.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to me in the meantime.
(This article was written through Google Translate, so please understand that the sentence may be a little awkward.)

KakaoTalk_20230313_200520601.png

Good to know you have sorted this out.

The vehicle already had a feature to warn you of a significant abnormality and even shut down non-essential functions to decrease battery drain.

All that is needed then, is to have the battery tested and replaced if it fails the test.

Perhaps with your advanced monitoring you will notice an abnormality sooner, but it could also be unnecessary worry because of the BMS not constantly charging as it did on vehicle a decade earlier, so the SOC is going to fluctuate non-linear to the state of battery health.

• Good to know you have sorted this out.

The vehicle already had a feature to warn you of a significant abnormality and even shut down non-essential functions to decrease battery drain.

All that is needed then, is to have the battery tested and replaced if it fails the test.

Perhaps with your advanced monitoring you will notice an abnormality sooner, but it could also be unnecessary worry because of the BMS not constantly charging as it did on vehicle a decade earlier, so the SOC is going to fluctuate non-linear to the state of battery health.​

you're right.
However, after I changed the battery charge limit from 80% to 85% with Forscan, the BMS did not work properly and the battery only charged to around 30%.
Therefore, it was necessary to relearn(not reset) the BMS, and it was necessary to monitor whether the battery was properly charged. Every time I did that, I had to open the bonnet and check the battery using the battery meter.
But now I'm content with that because I don't have to do that anymore.

Back