My Rear Tire Carrier for the Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Rear Tire Carrier for the Mounty

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
Hey guys! i posted some pics in the Facebook Group last weekend about the Rear Tire Carrier i made. This one is NOT a swing out. Also this is made for what I want/ need. Feel free to critique if you feel neccesary... but know i am 100% happy with my design (i dont mean to sound like a dick but you guys tore me apart on the facebook group)

SO here she is!

I started with just my hitch mounted tow loop/ hoop that goes into my receiver. this thing is beastly strong. i have had my trucks weight all on this and dropped off ledges onto it.
8yrrwh.jpg
In the pic the black thing is my tow rig.

so now what we did was took a 2x2" square steel. the goal was to make it so it sat flush on top of the tow rig. we would then using brackets seen in the pic bolt it and then weld it.

1h9i8j.jpg
here you can see the side shot.

i got her all bolted up, now it was time for me to do some welding! i have never ever welded anything in my whole lift. now i realize these are not the prettiest or anything but its very strong especially being bolted already.
24ymtds.jpg

34p11rc.jpg

Next i got her all painted up! in this pic you can sort of see what i am going for. the tire will sit on the hoop. and the there is a bolt going through the lug nut hole and through the steel to secure it. i shot it with some paint that just happens to match my truck. next summer i will bedliner it.
2nrodba.jpg

w7ze2q.jpg
in this one you can see my license plate holder.

And thats pretty much it! i painted the spare black/ clear coated it. theres also a cable lock through the tire, and a strap just to make it not so bouncy.
2ir6veu.jpg

28slgnp.jpg

e0fm6r.jpg

and yes my window hatch opens!

what y'all think? no it doesnt swing out but thats okay. for those of you who are concerned itll decrease my descend/ approach angles yes it may a smidge. but let i said if anything will hit the ground its the tow rig not the tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting to say the least. Just a few things that come to mind for me.

1. I guess you don't need to open the rear gate, ever?

2. I'm sure it's plenty strong with the bolts, but it doesn't look like you got any penetration while welding.

3. That is a HUGE tow hook! :D

4. How is the tire actually fixed to the thing?

5. If you're happy with it (and it's safe), that's all that matters.

Interesting to say the least. Just a few things that come to mind for me.

1. I guess you don't need to open the rear gate, ever?
In the last 6 months ive honestly opened it maybe once? haha im a college kid i seriously dont ever use it. But if i ever need to i pull the receiver off open it close it put said receiver back in. or even just taking tire off its maybe a 5 minute thing.

2. I'm sure it's plenty strong with the bolts, but it doesn't look like you got any penetration while welding.
yea like i said first hack at welding, im not sure what you mean by the penetration...

3. That is a HUGE tow hook! :D
hells ya! that thing is my favorite. straight up beast.

4. How is the tire actually fixed to the thing?
its something my dad used to have. its an old spare tire tie down thing. its a long hook like bolt with a giant wing nut. in the olden days thats what cars used to secure tires apparently. and theres a ratchet strap on it.

5. If you're happy with it (and it's safe), that's all that matters.
Sir i am more than happy with it. plenty of visibility out the back. i took it around the yard and what not. it seems safe enough to me.

Looks pretty good for the first time. As Froader said it would be safer and stornger if you grind down the welds and add more bead to get better penetration into the two pieces of steel. I would turn the heat up on the welder (guessing it's a fluxcore welder from the bead and discoloring) and turn the wire feed down. When you grind it down you'll see alot of hollow spots on the bead (this is common with fluxcore) fill in all the holes and low spots, build up the beads, don't forget to wire brush the welds in between each weld or you'll get alot of blow back and slag.

Also you can easily turn that into a swing down carrier so you can open the hatch anytime without removing it. Great work for the first time welding, just need practice and you'll be building your own bumpers and other stuff soon enough. On a side note you might want to look into a license plate light, not sure about Mi.'s laws but I'm pretty sure you need one.

Looks pretty good for the first time. As Froader said it would be safer and stornger if you grind down the welds and add more bead to get better penetration into the two pieces of steel. I would turn the heat up on the welder (guessing it's a fluxcore welder from the bead and discoloring) and turn the wire feed down. When you grind it down you'll see alot of hollow spots on the bead (this is common with fluxcore) fill in all the holes and low spots, build up the beads, don't forget to wire brush the welds in between each weld or you'll get alot of blow back and slag.

Also you can easily turn that into a swing down carrier so you can open the hatch anytime without removing it. Great work for the first time welding, just need practice and you'll be building your own bumpers and other stuff soon enough. On a side note you might want to look into a license plate light, not sure about Mi.'s laws but I'm pretty sure you need one.

Can i say thank you sir? thats positive criticism...
that makes a lot of sense about grinding it down. maybe next time im back home i will do that. i will turn the heat up a little. and it was a wire fed welder (not sure make model name etc. still a noob welder).
but yea i feel like for my first time ever i did pretty okay. the goal after i graduate the police academy and have the summer to have fun is to build bumpers, sliders, etc.
yes Mi requires the light. i have one just needs to be installed. so far i have had about 5-6 cops pass me at night from behind with no trouble. the big giant EMT sticker helps :)

yea like i said first hack at welding, im not sure what you mean by the penetration...
In this pic you can tell that the weld "penetrated" both pieces of metal that are welded together.

DSC05011.jpg

On yours it looks like the weld just built up on top of the metal. Like Midnight said, it looks like it needs to be hotter to get the penetration or fusion of the two pieces.

In this pic you can tell that the weld "penetrated" both pieces of metal that are welded together.

DSC05011.jpg

On yours it looks like the weld just built up on top of the metal. Like Midnight said, it looks like it needs to be hotter to get the penetration or fusion of the two pieces.

That weld is so beautiful!!!!! (single tear rolls down face)

I like the simple design, looks like something you can build on and improve over time as you progress with your rig, I could see a high lift jack bolted or pinned to it ect..

okay thanks. yea i always wondered how welds looked that nice!
grind and turn up the heat... copy that!

but yea i eventuallly as rig progresses want a rear swing out or swing down tire carrier. and a high jack mounted. only time will tell!

Mine Might be for sale soon.

180261_195434430468314_6867226_n.jpg

Mine Might be for sale soon.

180261_195434430468314_6867226_n.jpg

wow that looks really good! i didnt have the proper material to build something to fold down.

mine has help up pretty well and now houses my CB whip. shes got about 10k miles on her already

Mounty, let LONO100 know about you selling your's he's been looking for one/ wanting to build one for a couple years now. He'll probably buy it.

Back