What to use for a swing out carrier hinge??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to use for a swing out carrier hinge???

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I am in the planning stages of a swing out tire carrier. I am going to build after I complete my sliders. I have a source for the steel but only problem is what to use for the hinge??? I would need something strong and water proof.

Suggestions, ideas??

Thanks

Tim

An old manual locking hub.

you'd have to get a spindle and outer hub as well but those are cheap at the junk yard. Cut the mounting flange off the spindel, and weld it to the side of the bumper you want the hinge to be on. Then cut off the mounting flange from the outer hub, weld your arms on that. Then put pack the bearing and install the hub on your spindle, then install the locking hub. I guess you'd also need to have part of an axle shaft to weld in there too for the hub to engage on.

To swing the tire out you unlock the hub and out it come. To lock it you push it back and lock the hub.

I've seen pictures of this setup, couldn't find one quickly so I tried to describe it :)

You can also use a trailer spindle/hub assembly if you had another kind of lock ;)

Another way is a trailer wheel spindle. I used one of those on Blee1099's rear bumper when I built it.

4156Bumper4.jpg

Back