Advanced HID Install: Write-up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advanced HID Install: Write-up

I had what seemed to be a unique install with my HIDs. Most aftermarket kits are designed to leave you high beams high and dry. I was looking to make them function no matter what was selected, whether it be high or low beam. I also wanted my KC Daylighters to function when the stalk was in the high position while leaving the HIDs in the stock headlights on.

After some research, wiring the HIDs off of both the high and low beams would leave a "gap" while the power was swapped from one wire to the other. This would leave a temporary dark road(not wanted!) and is not the best for the ballasts and such.

So after some research and poking and proding around with a test light, I figured out how to wire it up....onto the write-up!

What you will need:
HID kit, I got my from CQ Light
I opted for the 5000k 9007 bulb type kit for its whiteness

DSC01321_Small_.jpg

1 Universal relay (can be found at any auto parts store)

Approx. 12ft of 12ga. wire (lighter gauge is probably acceptable)

1 Quick connect

Assorted connectors, crimper, stripper, Soldering iron, basic hand tools

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Make sure to disconnect the battery before beginning!**

In order to get to a wire needed for the installation you must remove the trim piece surrounding the gauges and steering wheel.

In order to do this, I followed an already well written write-up by bigtigexplorer.

Dead Link Removed

Removal of the gauge cluster is not necessary!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that is removed, find the Red/Yellow wire that is located on the headlight switch connector. This is the kick on wire for the Headlights that goes to the headlight relay.

DSC01326_Small_.jpg

Using some speaker wire I had laying around (heavy duty wire is not needed at all for this part) I spliced into this wire using a quick connect.

DSC01330_Small_.jpg

I then ran the wire through the firewall through an existing gromet into the engine compartment.

DSC01331_Small_.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I began working on the lights themselves. The bulbs mount in the housing as a normal 9007 bulb would. I then mounted the ignitors and ballasts near the headlight region, making sure that the wiring would reach. The mounting of these items is dependant on your application.

Passanger side:
DSC01332_Small_.jpg

Driver side:
DSC01336_Small_.jpg

Next in line is the wiring. I mounted the relay(can be seen on the drivers side picture behind the battery hold down)

A power cable was made to proper size with an inline fuse.

DSC01333_Small_.jpg

and connected to tab 30 on the relay.

The kick on wire from behind the dash was connected to tab 86, and a ground was ran to the chassis from tab 85.

The kit included 9007 sockets to plug directly into the stock wiring and had another connector to plug into the ballast. I cut this harness in half. I was only interested in the section that plugs into the ballasts.

I then made another section of wire to connect the relay to the ballasts. A ground was also screwed into the chassis from the ballast connector.

DSC01335_Small_.jpg

The newly made harness is then connected to tab 87 on the relay and properly ground on the ballast end.

Place a 20 amp fuse into the harness from the battery to the relay, reconnect the battery and test. You will need to reconnect the headlight switch inside.

This was "designed" to work with both the knob to turn the lights on, and the autolights.

If you have any questions, something is unclear, need more pictures, or help in general I would be happy to help in any way. Some of the wiring is overkill, but you're dealing with your headlights, something I don't want to be without at night!

After completing this you should be able to move your turn signal stalk from low to high without any change in the headlights.

Extra pictures:

DSC_0010_Small_.jpg

DSC01339_Small_.jpg

DSC_0001_Small_.jpg

5000k HIDs in Diamond Clear housings with SilverStar Fogs vs. SilverStar heads in Diamond Clear housings

DSC_0004_Small_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice write up Todd. they look great. i'm still not 100% sure how you wired it..lol but it works so good job!

looks AWESOME great job and great write up!

nice write up! I want to do this mod asap!!!

looks awesome todd good job

So you do have the function of high beam and low beam or just low beam?

-Drew

They still only function as low beams. But when high beams are selected, they stay on and my Daylighters come on.

This is way cool....Now I want some....what would be even cooler is if you hooked your KCs up to turn on when you switch to high beams.

ap81590 said:
This is way cool....Now I want some....what would be even cooler is if you hooked your KCs up to turn on when you switch to high beams.

Thats pretty much why I wired them up this way.

They're going strong still. Very pleased with my purchase so far.

How are your HID's holding up? im ready to order mine and i still can figure out who to order them from! i would like a 5K kit as they seem to be right in the middle, great light and awesome looks.....

Still going strong. No problems. cq is one of the few places that i've seen 5000k from. If I had the choice I would search out 4300k. 5000k is still a little too blue for my liking. But they do very well.

How do the 5ks perform at night? I know this is a silly question but how much better are they from stock lights?

I do lots of traveling on my X to different states and most of the driving is done at night,
The light output of my X it’s pathetic, I currently have diamond cut headlights and clear corners with silver stars,
When I upgraded from the faded stock head lights I noticed some improvement, but the light output does not seem to be adequate for highway driving, all the lights are aimed correctly, the voltage on all the bulbs its correct, I’m running out of options…
I might even consider adding some light on my bumper like many of you guys do…
All I want is best light output possible to be safe while driving at night on the highway!

I would say this is definetly the way to go. Just remember that you loose your high beams.

i will keep that in mind! i might add some extra lights on my bumper just to be cool like yall

Alright, i just got done ordering my set, i cant wait to get it, 200 buxs shipped isnt bad at all, i will take pics and review them when i install them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got my HID's yesterday, they light awesome =]

Back