02 Explorer broken rear coil springs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer broken rear coil springs?

jsour

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB 4.6 V8
Hi,

I have a 02 Explorer V-8 4x4 that has broke both rear coil springs.

The right rear broke last year, I don't know when, found it broke when I replaced the rear brake pads.

And about two days ago while driving 35mph and going around a slight right hand corner I felt the left rear coil spring break.

Both springs broke at the top at about one full coil wrap down.

I searched for a ford service bulletin but don't see any...

Is anyone else breaking stock rear coils?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of mine broke on my '02. They broke right at the very top of the spring, probably only 2 or 3 inches from the end. I had them replaced for free thanks to me extended warranty. I'd be curious if anybody else has had this issue.

They must be Fords new automatic lowering springs, lol.

That's no good at all- I hadn't heard of that before, there must be a weakness in the spring at some particular spot since two sets broke at the same place. Did you replace them with aftermarket or stock springs?

They are Ford OEM springs, I have only broke the original set.

I replaced the right rear spring last year (with oem) and now the left rear spring broke...

Thanks for the replies.

I just had my rear coil springs replaced a few months ago both sides were broke.

My 02 also has a broken rear spring on the drivers side. Sounds like the same place, about 1 or 2 coils down from the top. I don't know how long it has been broken (original owner) and never noticed it until I was doing some routine maint. and did my normal look around underneath and spotted it. I have never towed anyhting and definately no heavy loads or off-roading.

mine too

Both thr rear coil springs on my '02 are broken, have been for a while. I've hear through the grapevine that it is a common problem with the'02, poor design. Also common with the '02 differential leak by the rear axel.

Mine Too

Mine broke on the passenger side, but 1 coil up from the bottom:p:
Doesn't matter where, it's still broke:D

I had them both replaced. Seems to be well known, the stealership told me that was not an uncommon thing to have happen.

Dave

Broken rear spring

My drivers side rear spring broke one coil up from the bottom.
Anyone have a good aftermarket part number for these defective pieces?
thanks...........

auntieliz, I've had the 02 differential leak by the rear axel repaired twice now...WAPOS

Coil springs are scratch and notch sensitive, so they require protection from impact damage caused by flying stones and gravel encountered during driving on paved or unpaved roads, also Rust leads to pitting and pitting leads to premature failure.

Coil springs are scratch and notch sensitive, so they require protection from impact damage caused by flying stones and gravel encountered during driving on paved or unpaved roads, also Rust leads to pitting and pitting leads to premature failure.

I don't think that these trucks, which all seem to be "highway only" are getting overly abused more then any other spring on any other vehicle out there. My original springs have had 16 years of chipping, and are still holding up just fine! Why are these breaking at 3-5 years? I don't think I'll ever buy a new Ford.

My guess is ford went cheep on the protective coating and or spring steel quality.

My guess is ford went cheep on the protective coating and or spring steel quality.

Sounds like they used steel that is too hard and brittle. My theory is that to save a few cents they used harder steel to make the springs stiffer to support the weight instead of using larger diameter steel to make the the springs out of, and that they pushed it too far. It's just a theory, I'm no expert.

another quaity ford design i guess spring hit by a small stone scratchs paint an it brakes come on !!!

im not surprised at the rear axle seal leaking ive got a 94 mark 8 and i thk its the same basic design as new ex an it leaks have put in new seal
lets give um another 10 yrs to fix that before i run out an buy any new fords

picture of my broken rear coil spring

I changed my oil yesterday and decided to snap a picture of my broken spring. This is on the drivers side right behind the rear tire. It is broken at the 2nd or 3rd coil down from the top. I also noticed what looks like a crack on the very bottom coil but not sure if it is just the protective coating or not.
1c1d.jpg

yea! mine are broke also, any tips on replacing them? They are about $100 Ea. I might go to the junk yard and see if i can find some used newer model springs.

Broken Rear Spring 2!

Hey, just signed on and had to add that my 2002 XLT also has a broken right rear spring...dealer discovered it when replacing rear hubs....looks like it has been a while since it went....some rust aroung the break about 2 coils from the top.

Mine broke on my 02 Mounty last week. I ordeded the both rear shocks, coils, and assembly. Hopefully this will last me a few years:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back