New to me hitch!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me hitch!!!

just got done with a long awaited-for project on the explorer today!

I went to Pick-a-Part and pulled a Uhaul hitch from a 95 and put it on my 98 and wired it up. it took me almost 4 hours including getting the part, but I move slow.

hitch-1.jpg

hitch2-1.jpg

the only problem is the left turn signal in the trailer harness is not working. does anyone know where that factory "light converter" is? I don't know what its called but it takes the signal from the brake lights and the turn signals and puts it in one circuit. I think this may be the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hitch looks nice- not even rusty :thumbsup:

Check your brake light on that side- have someone step on the brake while you watch your trailer. If your brake works, but your turn signal doesn't, you may have to dig to find that converter.

how is your 7-way connectedi got the same set up and tried mounting it there but it hit the hitch and it looks likes your should be to..how did you manage to fit it infront of the bar?

alright that would be great thanks.

before loom:

1.jpg

9.jpg

2.jpg

after loom, completely finished: (except for the turn signal...)

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

does anyone know where that converter is for the trailer lights?

Very nice install... nearly identical to my set-up.

is that only using a 4 pin set up..i dont see a charge line or ground or anythign on that plug..that might be why i coudlnt fit mine cause mine isent as fexible with the more wires.

sounds about right. I wont be able to use trailer brakes, but I'll never be towing anything big enough to need brakes in my rig :p:

ahh ok then i knew that had to be it..and yea i do tow with trailer brakes 24ft trailer.so i do need them.

just figured out what was up with the turn signal, fuse #7 was out. that's the fuse for the left tow turn signal and running light

I can now legally tow!!!

I wish I could even find that style hitch in the junkyard I goto. I think all I have found were the straight square tube style. Few have been worth the time to pull due to rust.

I eventually won a used one off eBay from LKQ off a Mountaineer. Lightly corroded, but overall good. I visited my local dealer of the hitch's brand, and they gave me all the needed mounting hardware/brackets for free. Funny they gave me a box full of the stuff, told me that all I need is in the box, there is extra junk/brackets/etc in there also, and that I have to take it all and figure out what to do with the extra stuff since they don't want to look at it anymore :bsnicker:

Nice hitch and install! I got a stock one that has just a bit of rust. Looks pretty good. But it didn't line up super well and my X didn't have two bolt hole that were on the hitch. Ford must have changed up the pattern a bit from year to year. But I got it on with the help of my floor jack and got 4 bolts in it. Should be plenty of sheer resistance on that.

Back