Trouble downloading 3.5.1 update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble downloading 3.5.1 update

briteboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT+Nav,MFT
I'm pretty good at computer stuff and I can't get my 2011 Ex to recognize the 3.5.1 update on a clean, reformatted USB drive.

Keeps giving me an error message that file needs to be in the root directory. there is no other directory on the USB. It's all root directory.

MFT recognizes the USB correctly, but doesn't try to load update file.

Tried to load it manually thru Settings/App install, but same error message.

any ideas from all you guys? Much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.2.2 is the last update for the Explorer, according to SyncMyRide.

I believe 3.5.1 is for other Ford vehicles with MFT.

Not trying to be a snob, but if you aren't able to understand how to run the update from the file on the TSB you shouldn't be running the update on your own. Wait for the update to be available via SyncMyRide or schedule an appointment with your dealer.

Instructions anyway:

Download file from TSB link
In windows double click exe you downloaded
select the root of your memory stick to extract to
extract the update
insert memory stick into MFT
update will start automatically, it will reboot a few times during the process, do not remove the memory stick or turn off the vehicle while this is happening. If the screen goes black, just wait, it will come back on.

Proceed at your own risk, and realize that the dealers don't have the A4 map cards yet, so you will be without navigation for possibly a couple of weeks while they wait for stock.

Not trying to be a snob, but if you aren't able to understand how to run the update from the file on the TSB you shouldn't be running the update on your own. Wait for the update to be available via SyncMyRide or schedule an appointment with your dealer.

Instructions anyway:

Download file from TSB link
In windows double click exe you downloaded
select the root of your memory stick to extract to
extract the update
insert memory stick into MFT
update will start automatically, it will reboot a few times during the process, do not remove the memory stick or turn off the vehicle while this is happening. If the screen goes black, just wait, it will come back on.

Proceed at your own risk, and realize that the dealers don't have the A4 map cards yet, so you will be without navigation for possibly a couple of weeks while they wait for stock.

Yet you succeeded ;)

Hehehe, I couldn't resist :D

Question for you: Now that you upgraded and don't have the A4 nav card, does the system just give you a nav error or something?

Have you tried going into the diagnostic mode and checking to see if Flash is gone yet? I'd like to update, but my wife would kill me if something didn't work (it's her car). I tease her for lacking a spirit of adventure. Somehow she is never amused :)

Update

Installed update on wife's Ex and then tried to post it on Sync My Ride for successful installations. It took it, and updated the site showing 3.5.1.

For those of you with NAV cards, it recommends NOT installing this version until you get the A4 card from Ford.

Hehehe, I couldn't resist :D

Question for you: Now that you upgraded and don't have the A4 nav card, does the system just give you a nav error or something?

Have you tried going into the diagnostic mode and checking to see if Flash is gone yet? I'd like to update, but my wife would kill me if something didn't work (it's her car). I tease her for lacking a spirit of adventure. Somehow she is never amused :)

Im in same boat as you, I will wait till we have the A4 cards to do the update as we will likely loose some if not all Navigation with the A3 card & v3.5.1.

Hopefully not too long.

Hi, Everyone!

Ford has provided a new MyFord Touch software update to our dealers that is available to customers who are experiencing phone compatibility, voice recognition, or navigation issues. Due to the need for vehicles that have the navigation option to receive a new SD card after the update, the software is currently only available through the dealership. We will communicate more information about the availability of the update when available. In the meantime, we do not recommend installing the software from any source except for a certified Ford or Lincoln dealer.

Rebecca

Hi, Everyone!

Ford has provided a new MyFord Touch software update to our dealers that is available to customers who are experiencing phone compatibility, voice recognition, or navigation issues. Due to the need for vehicles that have the navigation option to receive a new SD card after the update, the software is currently only available through the dealership. We will communicate more information about the availability of the update when available. In the meantime, we do not recommend installing the software from any source except for a certified Ford or Lincoln dealer.

Rebecca
Dealer has confirmed my requirement and has ordered the A4 SD card. Taking it in next Thursday for the update.
Thanks for your continued assistance Rebecca.:):thumbsup:

Peter

It will tell you that you need to insert a valid SD card for navigation and travel link. Until you enter the A4 card neither navi, nor travel link services, will work.

Have you tried going into the diagnostic mode and checking to see if Flash is gone yet?

I looked at the cab files before installing, everything is still in flash (lots of SWF's floating around). I don't foresee that going away anytime soon unfortunately.

If you need navigation then you should wait until the dealers have the cards, and schedule an appointment. I rarely use the navigation as of late, and MFT in general is ridiculous as far as rebooting and bugs, so I was willing to forgo navigation for a few days/weeks.

Dealer has confirmed my requirement and has ordered the A4 SD card. Taking it in next Thursday for the update.
Thanks for your continued assistance Rebecca.:):thumbsup:

Peter

You're welcome, Peter! :)

Rebecca

It will tell you that you need to insert a valid SD card for navigation and travel link. Until you enter the A4 card neither navi, nor travel link services, will work.

I looked at the cab files before installing, everything is still in flash (lots of SWF's floating around). I don't foresee that going away anytime soon unfortunately.

If you need navigation then you should wait until the dealers have the cards, and schedule an appointment. I rarely use the navigation as of late, and MFT in general is ridiculous as far as rebooting and bugs, so I was willing to forgo navigation for a few days/weeks.

Thanks for checking :)

13Sport, Briteboy, have either of you tries using the bluetooth for a phone call yet? Still crap or better?

13Sport, Briteboy, have either of you tries using the bluetooth for a phone call yet? Still crap or better?

I never had issues... they seem to have fixed the problem where after dialing it went back to playing music for a second before the other end rings though. Voice quality is great according to my wife, but was never bad (on either my 2011 or my Sport)

So, briteboy...where did your bootleg, dealer only update come from?

So, briteboy...where did your bootleg, dealer only update come from?

If you read any of the thread, or the TSB you would have seen the link to the update is available directly on the TSB posted above. Same link the dealers use, not bootlegged.

Future upgrades

I'll be interested to see how Ford handles future updates. With this TSB, they will have some customers with A3 nav. cards and some with A4. How will they allow customers to update from the web when there is 2 very different code bases on vehicles? I can't imagine they will now release different version going forward for the people with A4 vs A3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As 13sport indicated there wasn't a "bootlegged" copy. I got it right from the TSB link.

If you think about it, the guys in the shop are not as computer savvy as many on this board. If those guys can do it, surely we can. And the fact that a several hundred of us that read this board knew about it and the dealer didn't have a clue about it is also very telling. I had to give him the TSB number and part number for the A4 card.

I have not seen any difference in the bluetooth performance. It was good before, but I don't have the iphone that came out 2 minutes ago that was supposed to pair up with software written 6 months ago....and somewhere I seem to remember that that the software for MFT was written/provided by Microsoft (tweeked by 3rd party "engineers") and iphones are from Apple, which of course couldn't possibly cause any problems with compatability ;)

Back