• Register Today It's free!

Bad media interface??

Preacherman

Reaction score
City, State
Vilas NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
This may be covered elsewhere but I didn’t see anything on it. If someone is aware of an existing thread please direct me there. Our 2013 explorer (recently purchased to replace a totaled Excursion) is having issues with the Navigation. I get a message that says “insert nav sd card” on the console screen and a “Navigation fault” message on the driver display. I tried a “master reset” and new sd card...no change. I then tried a software update via the USB ports (tried both ports). I’m sure the usb was correctly formatted and the software correctly downloaded to it. I could not get the software to download to the system. I’m thinking there’s a problem with the media interface/hub and or cable. I believe that the USB ports and sd ports aren’t working. I also tried another usb with music installed but the radio didn’t recognize a usb device inserted. The ports will not charge a phone either. Is there any way to verify a bad media interface without switching out the module? Everything else associated with the my touch system works properly. If anyone has advice here...it would be greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I may be wrong but I don't think the USB ports are for charging. I believe the 'charging ports' only became available with the 2016+ models. What is the MFT version that you have? Have you checked your owner.ford.com account to see what it shows in regards to software availability? It may not always be right but it's worth a look. Which version is the S/D card?

Peter

The USB ports do in fact charge.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I may be wrong but I don't think the USB ports are for charging. I believe the 'charging ports' only became available with the 2016+ models. What is the MFT version that you have? Have you checked your owner.ford.com account to see what it shows in regards to software availability? It may not always be right but it's worth a look. Which version is the S/D card?

Peter
I have the sync 2 with an 8" screen and navigation (not sure if that what you mean by "version"). My software hasn't been updated since late 2012 according to my account at owner.ford.com. I received the car with an A4 SD...the later version i ordered was an A6. I did message a tech from an APIM supplier...he was able to give me a diagram to check for the correct voltage coming from the APIM to the media interface...as soon as i can i will verify that number and post back here.

The latest version for MFT is 3.10 I believe. Check out the first post in this thread; SYNC 2 v3.10 build 16180 is available on owner.ford.com website
I believe if you go into 'Settings' (little gear icon) on the MFT screen you can pull up a menu to take you to a software option and you should be able to get the latest version and if it doesn' look like EA5T-14D544-BA SYNC2 - V3.10 then you need to update it. I believe the latest navigation card is A9 but that shouldn't matter. I don't have Sync 2 any longer so I can't recall the exact steps. Of course if you can't load the latest software then it won't help. Where did you get the update from that you tried to load?

Peter

The update was from the ford website...it is the most updated version...I just can’t get it loaded to my explorer. I feel Ike something is wrong with the media interface it’s self.

Do you get any kind of error messages or anything similar? Have you tried formatting the USB drive again (cleaning it) and then downloading the software again? The software should be downloaded to your computer/device and then copied to the USB. The software shouldn't be downloaded onto the USB directly.

Peter

Yes..”Navigation fault” on the driver display and “insert nav sd” on the center console. Also...I did reformat the usb a few times and download the software to the laptop first then copied to the usb. The reason I wondered if the media interface was bad is because I can’t use the USB ports to play music either. Hoping to try checking the power supply terminals in the next few days and maybe that will give me more of an idea where to head next. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Power for the hub comes from the APIM. Very unlikely it is a power issue. The hub is likely bad unless its the APIM. Many times failure is due to liquid spill.

Power for the hub comes from the APIM. Very unlikely it is a power issue. The hub is likely bad unless its the APIM. Many times failure is due to liquid spill.
Pulled the media interface today to find a thick, sticky substance all over it and inside it (kinda like the stuff left behind when a spilled soft drink dries out). I ordered a new one from eBay and will report back once it’s installed. I’m hoping this is the issue. Thanks for your help!

Installed the “new” media interface today from eBay...Navigation now works as it should! Glad this is fixed!! Thanks for all the replies!

Back