Items found similar to "Radio Display Power Board Dorman 586 001 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Items found similar to "Radio Display Power Board Dorman 586 001

lorraine1

Reaction score
City, State
wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
any one ever install one of these?i assume it goes inside the radio?cd player?is it hard to install,my cd radio combo quit and was wondering if this could be the cause on a 98 5.0 explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any one ever install one of these?i assume it goes inside the radio?cd player?is it hard to install,my cd radio combo quit and was wondering if this could be the cause on a 98 5.0 explorer.

it's not hard to install. there's thread here with pics somewhere. if you have the Mach radio with 6-disc cd player it will not work. I know, I've tried and even contacted Dorman tech support.

basically, remove the radio. remove the top of the radio. the power board is on the top left side. there's a single screw that comes into the board from the rear of the radio and 2 (3 but you can really only get to 2) metal lugs you have to straighten to release the board and a single electrical plug. this board is to fix the blank display problem only.

Tip: do not remove the front of the radio. it's not necessary and it's a bugger to put back on.

here's the link to the thread w/pics. start with post#17.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395093&highlight=586-001

While we're talking about radios. Do they have a code?

it's not hard to install. there's thread here with pics somewhere. if you have the Mach radio with 6-disc cd player it will not work. I know, I've tried and even contacted Dorman tech support.

basically, remove the radio. remove the top of the radio. the power board is on the top left side. there's a single screw that comes into the board from the rear of the radio and 2 (3 but you can really only get to 2) metal lugs you have to straighten to release the board and a single electrical plug. this board is to fix the blank display problem only.

Tip: do not remove the front of the radio. it's not necessary and it's a bugger to put back on.

here's the link to the thread w/pics. start with post#17.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395093&highlight=586-001

below is the list of radios that the Dorman board will work on. my radios were XL2F-18C868-CA.

Application Notes:

AM/FM/Cass/Single CD ID No. 3L5T-18C868-AA thru AC; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD ID No. XL2F-18C868-AB thru AD; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD ID No. 2L5T-18C868-AA thru AB; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD ID No. XL2F-18C868-BA; Premium Sound
AM/FM/Cass/Single CD ID No. F87F-18C868-CA thru CE; Premium Sound

A security code built into the radio.
If it has been disconnected from power then the code has to be entered before it will work again.

Fords in other countries have it.

Basically it for all the radios with RDS (and subwoofer connection) that have the well-known "dead display" issue.
It won't work in any other radios and not for any other issues.

i don't understand what you mean by "a code".
In EU a car radio implied an extra tax, even a monthly fee in some countries (to pay for state-owned programs).
So not all cars had radios and therefore temptation to steal and resell them. The manufacturers added codes to prevent radios to be stolen. Disconnecting the battery requires also re-inputting the "secret" code.
Obviously, the underground "unlocking" industry took care of this "issue" and radios continued to be stolen.

A security code built into the radio.
If it has been disconnected from power then the code has to be entered before it will work again.

Fords in other countries have it.

I've never run into this with any of my Ford radios in the U.S. On GM's and Japanese cars - yes.

Basically it for all the radios with RDS (and subwoofer connection) that have the well-known "dead display" issue.
It won't work in any other radios and not for any other issues.QUOTE]

Your response is a bit fragmented, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. All my radios are 6-disc changer, RDS, OE sub woofer equipped models and the Dorman board will not work in these radios to fix the blank display issue. I spent 20 mins talking to Dorman tech support about this.

I've never run into this with any of my Ford radios in the U.S. On GM's and Japanese cars - yes.

Ford doesn't lock the gas cap either... I guess they are not concerned with theft that much.

Ford doesn't lock the gas cap either... I guess they are not concerned with theft that much.

yeah, they also make it super quick/easy to remove their radios from the dash too. do people still steal radios?

Your response is a bit fragmented, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
I really think that the issue is very simple. Three 2.2 ohm resistors where sub-dimensioned and they burn out. I would try to replace them with higher power ones. See the blue resistors in the picture that was posted in the old thread (is very significant to me):

IMG_1627_zpsbba9b71c.jpg

The original design of this power board is a textbook example of poor engineering. Virtually all of them failed early in their life, and all in the same way, which shows that not only nobody bothered to do proper thermal design, but also nobody bothered to seriously test their design before releasing it to production. At least this blunder never cost anyone's life (well, at least not directly, though who knows what effect the frustration with the radio had on drivers' ability to focus on the road).

In fact, the problem was not that these 2W-rated, 2.2 Ohm resistors were physically undersized, but the heat that they dissipated damaged other parts in their vicinity on that little board. Because there is no airflow, and the board has no way of conducting heat to the enclosure, it got so hot that solder melted (usually happens around 370 F), and even the small surface mounted parts that survived the overheating finally fell off. Pioneer solved the problem simply by mounting these large resistors on long leads, away from the board, thus allowing them to radiate their heat into the air rather than heating the circuit board material underneath. This is a crude solution, but judging by the fact that my replacement board has now worked without a hitch for 10 years, quite effective.

I really think that the issue is very simple. Three 2.2 ohm resistors where sub-dimensioned and they burn out. I would try to replace them with higher power ones. See the blue resistors in the picture that was posted in the old thread (is very significant to me):

Using the resistors to reduce voltage (and dissipate the heat) is poor engineering. I hate that actually all of Ford radios are running super hot.
But I guess it was acceptable in 90's, when switched mode PS were mildly expensive.

I doubt that it's that simple. Don't know the design details of that board, but based on the presence of an inductor (or a transformer) it seems to use switch-mode techniques. In fact, these VFD displays require a fairly high voltage, on the order of 50V, so some sort of a step-up switcher was certainly needed.
Switch mode supplies have been around for a long time, and not necessarily expensive at all, but those of the last decade or so are driven by very smart chips that allow (among other advantages) much better efficiency.

Using the resistors to reduce voltage (and dissipate the heat) is poor engineering. I hate that actually all of Ford radios are running super hot.
But I guess it was acceptable in 90's, when switched mode PS were mildly expensive.

You are probably correct about the function of these power resistors, and I will readily admit my ignorance about the intricacies of driving VFDs. But now that you piqued my curiosity, will probably study this subject. Perhaps will even try to reverse-engineer that 20-year old Pioneer design with the help of the old board that I still have lying around, and share my conclusions. So should we continue this discussion here, at the cost of boring 99.9% of the members, or take it to one of the electronic engineering forums?

That's just the step-up converter transformer. Free running oscillators for the anod voltage.
Example: http://www.kerrywong.com/2013/06/05/vfd-filament-driver-using-555/
The resistors are probably there to limit the filament current (and voltage).

I'm bumping this thread because it's the best one I ran across that got into the details of what was wrong with the OEM power supply of the 98-01 Pioneer "RDS" decks.

Maybe someone will invest some time to re-engineer the board design, or at least to be able to alter the Dorman 586-001 board to work for all of these radios. I have two of them and would like to keep them going for a long time. My good one has added RCA outputs, so the features are very desirable. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back