Supercharger Installed!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger Installed!!!!!!!

Well, my face looks exactly like that little green grinning guy. IT'S INSTALLED!!!

I'm really tired right now, so pics and more details will by up soon. However, here's the scoop:

Power is wonderful across the board. My concerns about the lack of the Hypertech chip are unfounded. The stock tranny program (I don't think the BBK computer modifies it) is perfect. The blower actually makes more power at relatively lower RPMs, so the earlier shift points work well.

I will need to upgrade the fuel pump soon. The stocker is fine for now, but the added stress is going to burn it out soon. The stock injectors are fine, and the new FPR does a good job. The FPR does have a slight lag time in bleeding off excess fuel, so after stomping it and rapid deceleration, you'll get a few seconds of rough idle.

Misc parts cost about $75. This included a fitting to join the MAS and new intake tube, misc hardware, and some new plug wires. The stock plug wires are too short to reach the driver's side, so longer wires from a Tbird SC were used.

Installation cost $550. It was about 3 days of work. It will of course be quicker next time for the same exact install, closer to 1.5 days.

The BBK computer is wedged between the driver fender and the large fuse block close to the firewall. It's encased in hard foam, and won't budge. The controller is mounted discreetly under the dash between the brake pedal and pbrake.

The engine whine is really loud. It's kind of annoying, and has various characteristics at different speeds and RPMs. It really gives the SC away, and really turns heads. The exhaust note is also more pronounced, but is barely audible over the SC whine.

That's about it for now, stay tuned for more details!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what to call it now

SMEAR

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Bob is happy Alec was amused, do you have AIM Alec?

no, but I'm in the Explorer chatroom.

congrats on gettin it done, i think your the first one to put one of these in an explorer:D. can you hear the whine at idle or is just when you get on the gas? is it about as loud as say a borla catback setup or somethin along those lines?

CONGRATULATIONS ALEC!! I am so happy for you! Now all we need from you are pictures (like 200 or so.. LOL) and we need sound clips of this beautiful piece of equipment humming!!

Regards,

Peter

just rode in splat. VERY nice!!! it sure was a helluva lot quicker than mine. i got home with a HUGE grin on my face and the wife said, "oh, no, you're giddy" i think she got tired of my gushing over the performance of it. also, as i'm sure the pictures will soon tell, it is an incredibly nice install. all around, cool deal. if mine didn't already have 110k miles on it, i would consider it. unfortunately, i think that in my present state of high mileage, i would grenade my poor 4.0. anyway, thanks for the ride, alec, i enjoyed it!

Way to go ! With upwards of 300 ponies at your disposal, will this be enough? Or would you consider upping the ante w/NOS. Can NOS even work on a blown engine or is it to much stress for those little cubic inches to handle?

Nah, not going to go with NOS. I'm probably going to redo my airbox, though. At this point, any improvement in airflow and decrease in temp is going to give me noticable gains in HP.

If I was to do another large performance project, it would be to add an intercooler. I would add a water to air intercooler sandwiched between the blower and the intake plenum. Some custom work would need to be done, but as long as I could find an appropriate intercooler, it would work. The only thing is I would need a new hood for the clearance. That's probably never going to happen, though.

I'm also going to add some gauges. Probably a really small air/fuel gauge (so that it isn't annoying due to the fuel injection) and a boost/vac gauge. Although, what I might due is get a good voltmeter and hook it up to the new computer and know the corresponding voltage to boost and vacuum. This would be much more accurate. Hmmm, I have to get money first. It always comes down to $$$, doesn't it?

Update:

I've been having some problems with bogging down at certain speeds, but mostly after a long idle. I figured out what the problem is: due to the drastic change in engine parameters, the ECU isn't just doing a normal reset like it normally does when you disconnect the battery. It's doing a full learning cycle. This is just like the cycle when you first get your car, and takes about 300-500 miles under various driving conditions. So in about a week, Splat will know what's up.

The new fuel pump is probably going to go in the first week in February. The new pump will enable me to run another pound of boost, so I might get 10-20 more horses with the new one.

The intercooler project might become a reality. Instead of a sandwich intercooler, I might put in a small one on the intake line. It would basically be like a tranny cooler: a small radiator which will cool coolant that flows around the air inlet pipe. It won't do as much as an inline cooler, but cooling the air before the TB is better than nothing, and might give me more than 30 more horses.

The installer burned a CD with all the pics of the install. It's about 25 pics, and should be pretty good. I'll pick the disc up tomorrow, so the pics should be up by late Saturday.

I think that's it for now, hope I'm providing y'all with what you want.

First of all, congratulations on the install. It will take some time to get all the bugs worked out but eventually it will happen.

Second, an intercooler (air to air style) will, at most, cool the air down to whatever the ambient temperature is. If the air to air intercooler is placed before the supercharger/turbocharger then it will serve no purpose. There are systems that cool the air below ambient prior to entering the supercharger but I'm to understand they are designed for short runs as in drag racing and would not be practical for a daily driver. That is one of the drawbacks of a roots type supercharger. They are expensive to intercool.

Another option you may want to consider is a water injection system.

Dead Link Removed

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Cant wait to see the pictures and get some dyno results.

Congratulations!!!!!!

I'm out of the loop, but what kind of SC did you install? I know the SC for the 4.0 SOHC isn't out yet. Did you do the installation? And if you don't mind another question, how much was your total cost? I'll have my SC installed after it comes out from the body shop.

We're all excited for you!!!

The blower is the BBK Instacharger system for the 4.0 V6 OHV. It's BBK part number 1590. The install kit for 95+ is #1593, and the kit for 94- is #1592. My total cost was $3500 for parts and install. Add about $200-250 to that for the fuel pump I'm going to need to add. That's in a few weeks. I had an uncle of a friend do the install at his shop. He's a blower expert, and did a really nice job.

So, here's the start of my kill list:
199? Silverado with rebuilt ?L V8 and full intake/exhaust mods
New Honda Civic Si
Honda S2000 (I was beating him from 45-75 mph, then he whipped me)
Porche Boxter in a 15-45 pass, probably can't run with him from a stop, though
2000 Explorer Sport (beat the pants off him!)
2000 Saab 95

I took two of my friends for a ride tonight. One has a turbo 1.8l Passat making 300+ hp and the other has a VW VR6 Golf making 350+. They were both really impressed, even though they can beat the pants off Splat. I would give them a nice run to 60, though. The Si race was with both of them in the truck. Hmmm, 4500 lbs and I still beat her. She was a little slow with the shifts, though. Every race has a story, and they're all great!

Pics up soon!

Pics are up! Below is the album URL and some select pics.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1159657&a=11199710

View

View

View

There are many more pics in the album, check it out!

[Edited by Alec on 01-26-2001 at 09:04 AM]

What's up with the password?

Cant see pics

Ok, removed the password. It's just that if my parents see those pics and put 2 and 2 together, I'm dead. They didn't want me to put the blower on, and I did anyway. Sometimes you just gotta follow your own piper.

Very nice. Thanks for the pictures. When are you getting it dynoed?

dunno when I'm getting it dynoed. It's not high on my list of priorities right now. Probably within the next month or so, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa! Alec....I just drooled all over my horrible cafeteria meatloaf! Looks bad ass! Any one wanna give me $3500 bucks so I can get the blower done on mine? :) Alec....Lookin great...Also, on that boost/retard knob...how low are ya running it? Do ya have more room to open it up some more? Also, what are all the switches in the console?
Thanks,
Pete

Back