0-60 in under 6.5??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

0-60 in under 6.5???

I would love to increase the acceleration of my ex... What mods can I do that will get my 0-60 times in under 6.5sec? This of course with nitrous. I was thinking:
Nitrous
Intake
Exhaust
?????
Please list some other mods that will get my 0-60 down!
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by bamacraig
Ever thought about a supercharger?

theres no kits made for the sohc yet, so one would have to be fabbed up. guys on the rangerforum have done this before.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah... the guy that did it is on this forum too. His name is Doug....... I dont remember the rest of his username. He had to make an intake manifold and a piece for the throttle body. More involved than I want to get.

I have no idea how old this thread is, but I assume fairly new since I talked to red96 about his 0-60 not too long ago. I have the 5.0, kkm, flow50 "catback" system, and I run a 14 at my best 0-60. I dont see how its possible at all for an explorer to run a 6.5, not even with severe weight reduction and extreme HP mods. The computer on our vehicles is so limiting, I'm suprised the things can get us to 60 at all. Is it true the stock computer doesn't know what to do after 4000 rpm?? That is a big problem with a 0-60, you can't get a good time if you can't go above 3500 rpm

Your mountaineer is abnormally slow.

Also, a 4.0 Explorer is not getting to 60 in 6.5 seconds with just bolt ons. It is going to take either head work, internal modification, nitrous, or a blower. (Or a combination of the above).

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I have no idea how old this thread is, but I assume fairly new since I talked to red96 about his 0-60 not too long ago. I have the 5.0, kkm, flow50 "catback" system, and I run a 14 at my best 0-60. I dont see how its possible at all for an explorer to run a 6.5, not even with severe weight reduction and extreme HP mods. The computer on our vehicles is so limiting, I'm suprised the things can get us to 60 at all. Is it true the stock computer doesn't know what to do after 4000 rpm?? That is a big problem with a 0-60, you can't get a good time if you can't go above 3500 rpm
Dude you have a serious problem with your truck for sure. My '88 Bronco II with a 2.9 Liter runs it faster than that. Take it to a reputable mechanic (not ford) and see what they say.

IS my truck lifted with 33s slower then normal runnign a 14 second 0-60?

which gears do you both have? i'm assuming 4.11s (redcamaro) and 3.73s (darkfox) i don't think 14 is too slow considering the tires on red96camaro's truck, but i would've guessed it would be a little faster like maybe twelve or so. as for the slow 5.0 i have no idea whats going on. using a stopwatch we clocked my uncles stock 97 at 9.5 o-60 and my explorer at just about 8 or a touch higher. is there a chance you cats are clogged? the transmission is slipping? etc. etc. something must be going horribly wrong...

also i'm wondering why this post was started. why is 0-60 the target for your project? in real life it has very little to do with who wins races. your target should be in the quarter. 0-60 times can be m anipulated a lot just by changing shift points and gearing for example a stock grand cherokee 4.7l will destroy an explorer 5.0 in 0-60 because the explorer will shift twice before that point and the jeep will not. however, then when at 65 or so when the jeep shifts the explorer won't be too far behind (although it will still be losing unless it has some good mods) but the point is that the 0-60 shouldn't be the point, the point should be making your truck ahead at the end of the race, and the best way to determine that is by gauging your performance by e.t.

Originally posted by expo5.0
...and the best way to determine that is by gauging your performance by e.t.

What's e.t.?

hey guys, i'd say my 0-60 in my 4.0 with k&n fipk is about 12 seconds, i've not really timed it, just counting normal. so yeah... Also i have a 96 4x4 XLT. what gears does it have? ... also can someone give a 2 sentence lesson in what the gear numbers mean? :)

elapsed time

its probably got 3.73's. I think its for every one turn of the drive shaft the axle spins 3.73 times. Hence the faster 0-60 with a higher number.

Red96camaro,

You are probably running faster than 14 seconds to 60. Your speedometer is inaccurate due to the tire change, unless you have corrected it. 14 seconds to 60 is too slow for a SOHC, even with 33's.

how much does it cost to get 4.somethin gears? is it something to have a shop install... if so how much money do you think? or can it be done yourself?

Ahhhh yes... good thinking LukeDog. I know that the diameter of the tires I have is .1" bigger than stock size. In order for me to get my speedo to read 60, I have to be going 60.4. For you, running 33's, you have to be doing around 68 for your speedo to read 60.

Originally posted by psychotic
how much does it cost to get 4.somethin gears? is it something to have a shop install... if so how much money do you think? or can it be done yourself?

unless you really know what your doing you cant do it yourself. there is all kinds of torque specs for the pinion bearing or something and if its not perfect then it wont work right. I heard someone on here say they paid $1,200 to change gears. This is all stuff that I have heard so if its not totally accurate please correct me.

Nope. I'm doing a 14. Corrected speedometer.

Well, just pretend that your speedo isnt corrected. :p
That will make you feel better.:cool:

lol :D maybe I coudl try that

oh and work sucks too

Red,
I still don't see how you are doing 0-60 in 14 seconds.. Even with the 33" tires you should be running a bit lower than that. My stock 98 EB runs high 7's low eights. Maybe I got lucky or something but it seems that I have a fairly fast stock ex. Could be the fact that I really drive it hard though to. I run the rpms past 5000 on a daily basis.. Being 16 does have some disadvantages though, specially mpg.
I'd get your truck checked out and make sure something isn't wrong

screw that, i'm broke. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could check out I'd do it myself but I have no money to make my truck faster. It'll never be fast anyway.

Back