0-60 in under 6.5??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

0-60 in under 6.5???

I would love to increase the acceleration of my ex... What mods can I do that will get my 0-60 times in under 6.5sec? This of course with nitrous. I was thinking:
Nitrous
Intake
Exhaust
?????
Please list some other mods that will get my 0-60 down!
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, 3.73 with the limited slip, truck has about 66k miles on it, on its 2nd 4R70w (about 20k on this new one) on another thread someone suggested that it may be slipping, but uh.. no one has replied to it yet lol

I counted the 0-60 by counting, before I started moving I got a pace going tho so my spacing would be correct, also, I made a video of my 0-60 or rather a friend did for me heh, kinda hard to drive n film.

I dunno about yall, but the only reason I even konw my 0-60 is for a standard reference of acceleration, I dont want to be "Fast" for racing purposes, sure it'd be nice to burn some rice, but uhh.. thats not my priority. My complaint for my car being too slow is this.. I assume everyone has what one could call a "comfort zone" in terms of.. a comfortable level of acceleration, you dont feel like yer being sluggish, yet you dont feel like you're flying. For me to acheive that level of acceleration I have to give my car everything it has all the time. now I would assume that perhaps its just me, that I'm impatient and perhaps too aggressive for my own good. But that does not hold when you consider the # of vehicles that stay beside me and/or pass me while I'm accelerating at this rate. in other words, I'm giving it all it has to accelerate comfortablly, and people are keeping up and often times passing me w/o even trying at all.

sorry, started sounding like a psychology paper lol, but thats the best way I can put it into words

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by debutis
My stock 98 EB runs high 7's low eights. Maybe I got lucky or something but it seems that I have a fairly fast stock ex.

Hmmmm... What engine do you have in your truck?

for real, not even 5500 rpm can give me that kind of performance. I need like.. a rocket strapped to mine on the roof rack.

the "stock" eddie that runs high 7s low 8s has the extremely limited edition 351 windsor in it... or else he's lying

no way that eddie can have a ohv. its probably a sohc or something with small tires 2wd and high gears?

I doubt hes lying yall, he has no reason to lie. Perhaps he did some counting errors, or is estimating, or we're making errors.. or maybe hell.. maybe his is the only one that runs like its supposd to lol

My EB is a 98' with the sohc and 29's. It's got the 3.73 gears and thats about it.. I have done nothing to improve performance. I just took it out to a country road with my friend and had him time me. I had about 3 gallons of premium fuel and according to him I ran an 8.3 this afternoon. Not to good, not to bad.. I'd like to do some performance modifications and get this puppy runnin mid 6's!! :D :D This of course with nitrous...
Oh, the EB is an AWD, no 2wd here.

AWD should technically be slower than the 2wd models because of weight.. lord knows traction isn't a problem. Well I wish we had some country roads around here.. might I ask how your friend timed you? I mentioned earlier, the way I do it is count verbally to myself until I see the speedo. reach 60, its usally 15.. sometimes its even more (eesh) Maybe this is too sloppy to get an accurate time.

well, myself and a friend went a few miles out into the country and found a nice straight fairly long seemingly rarely used road.. I made a few runs with him sitting in the passengers seat and he timed me from when I hit the gas until I reached 60. My other times were:
1st run: 8.6
2nd run: 8.73
3rd run: 8.3
4th run: 8.59
5th run: 8.43

Maybe I got lucky and the previous owner upgraded the gearing or something?? As far as I know the whole thing is totally stock with every option including towing package.

wow, what colors yours? maybe we can trade lol

j/k man, it must be grea to be able to run 8s all day long. I reckon I could try and find me a nice long paved road with no other traffic, but around here at least, thats not gonna happen.

i believe you now man your times are probably really closer to the "proper" and by "proper" i mean the time most magazines got when they tested the car of about 8.6-8.8 but i believe that those are the times that your friend came up with on the stopwatch. anyways, i was just messing around with that earlier post, i don't want you to think i'm a jerk or something.

Did you floor it for those runs? I'm assuming that it had one shift going from 0-60. Mine kinda gets hung up in the top of 1st. The RPM's go up and then they stay at 6000 for about 2 seconds and finally shifts. I usually only take it up to about 5000 in 1st gear and then floor it after it shifts. It seems to shift faster and pull harder when I get into second. I'll try to get some 0-60 times this week. For 5300 lbs., its no slow machine.

BTW, the SOHC is not AWD. Its either 2x4 or auto 4x4.

98FordX24- you must have some kind of huge sub box. 5300 lbs? mine weighed 4300 on scales with almost full tank...

On my door it says 5300 something pounds.

Expo5.0
Nothing bad taken! I could see why some people would be hesitant to think my ex is as fast as it is!
98FordX24
Hmm, I guess you're right, I think it is auto 4x4. It's the 98 EB with the little switch saying auto, 4HI and 4LOW. I'm thinkin about adding quite a bit of upgrades here in the VERY near future. Can't decide between a fast ex and and ex with some BUMP!! Stereo would be cool but being able to burn all my friends would be cool too..

5300 lbs is the GVWR. thats Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. that is not what your X weighs. that is what your X weighs with all the "extra" weight it is recommended to carry. people, gear, etc. it will obviously carry more than this, but that is all the manufacturer recommends... hope this helps.

4300 pounds is still 1000 pounds more than the average passenger car. Thats a 1000 pound handicap when you're racing ANYTHING.. btw did I mention 2 days ago I got outran by a Uhaul van? :p

I have guards, and a system but I honestly do not think that stuff matters.. or should matter. My car feels the exact same with just me driving with the a/c off as it does with me and 3 people in it with the a/c on max..

ford has a switch that cuts A/C off at wide open throttle. when you floor it with the air on, you will feel it start to get warm.

Darkfox, I've always had the opinion that you got a dud motor, sorry.

Anyway, I pulled up next to an early 80s Camaro just now, and it forsure had mods. Anyway, it was wet and the driver was pissed about something and was sliding all over the place due to traction. It was nice being able to pull away easily due to my tires ;)

So where does it say the actual weight of the truck?

Back