00 explorer, no key... what to do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 explorer, no key... what to do?

awilliams357m

Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000/2001 explorer XLTs
Hi there!
Recently purchased a 2000 explorer XLT, loaded power everything leather moon roof etc from a good friend that owns a junkyard for a whopping 200$. I originally purchased the vehicle to swap the transmission to my 2001 that recently had torque converter failure. Upon further inspection of the '00 it has a fresh motor and transmission and a solid body... why not just drive it?! So my dilemma... i didn't get a key with this explorer... can a dealership cut me a key by vin number, and then i could haul it to location and have them program it to the PATS system? Any advice would be a huge help here!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they can if you can prove you own the vehicle. Just call them and ask.

First local dealership says no can do.. go to locksmith, have them mold you a key etc blah blah blah... second dealership says 2004 and newer only... i'll call another and see what they say!

Thanks for the reply!

Turdle,

Thanks for the links, i had already searched and found both, just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions... called dealerships, they can't make me a key from VIN number as it's over 10 years old.. what a bummer! So guess it's haul to locksmith, then haul to dealership... yay

salvage title?

Did you at least get a salvage title? If not, you'll have problems purchasing license tags for it.

I'd guess at least another $200 for a couple of PATS keys. Buy three so if you lose one you won't have to pay another $100 for a duplicate recognized by the PCM. The PATS qualified locksmith will either have to come to your vehicle or you'll have to tow to him. That's probably another $50.

There's usually a reason that a vehicle is in the salvage yard. If it's not because of damaged body then it may be bad engine or transmission. Most people will sell a functional vehicle rather than scrap it.

If it's been sitting for several years the fuel injectors may be seized. Also, the piston rings may be rusted to the cylinder walls. Both things are easily corrected for a modest cost.

I purchased a Volvo 850 turbo wagon just for the challenge of getting it running. It was given up on by a mechanic and its owner and had been sitting for more than a year. I found a bad fuel pump, incorrect camshaft timing, no ignition and bad fuel. I've been driving it for a couple years now. Your project could be just as interesting. Good luck!

2000streetrod,

I actually got a legit title for this exploder, non r-title and whatnot! Family owns the J/Y and had taken ownership of the vehicle from non-payment of storing the vehicle after they towed it in for a bad starter. I made a few phone calls and ended up getting the previous owner to sign the title over to avoid all the b/s but unfortunately he didn't have the keys any longer.. from visual inspection it's in great condition, relative jumped the starter solenoid and we checked compression, all 6 banks were within spec... so i can't really complain, and not to mention i now either have a parts vehicle ( minus a torque converter! ) or another project vehicle to turn into a woods buggy! :thumbsup:

Did you at least get a salvage title? If not, you'll have problems purchasing license tags for it.

I'd guess at least another $200 for a couple of PATS keys. Buy three so if you lose one you won't have to pay another $100 for a duplicate recognized by the PCM. The PATS qualified locksmith will either have to come to your vehicle or you'll have to tow to him. That's probably another $50.

There's usually a reason that a vehicle is in the salvage yard. If it's not because of damaged body then it may be bad engine or transmission. Most people will sell a functional vehicle rather than scrap it.

If it's been sitting for several years the fuel injectors may be seized. Also, the piston rings may be rusted to the cylinder walls. Both things are easily corrected for a modest cost.

I purchased a Volvo 850 turbo wagon just for the challenge of getting it running. It was given up on by a mechanic and its owner and had been sitting for more than a year. I found a bad fuel pump, incorrect camshaft timing, no ignition and bad fuel. I've been driving it for a couple years now. Your project could be just as interesting. Good luck!

Hi there!
Recently purchased a 2000 explorer XLT, loaded power everything leather moon roof etc from a good friend that owns a junkyard for a whopping 200$. I originally purchased the vehicle to swap the transmission to my 2001 that recently had torque converter failure. Upon further inspection of the '00 it has a fresh motor and transmission and a solid body... why not just drive it?! So my dilemma... i didn't get a key with this explorer... can a dealership cut me a key by vin number, and then i could haul it to location and have them program it to the PATS system? Any advice would be a huge help here!

Thanks!

a good locksmith, that has the correct equipment, can come to you and make you keys at your house, or you can bring it to Ford to have keys made. the RF/chipped keys can be had on ebay pretty cheaply (recently bought 1 with 2 remotes for $16). the trick is having the equipment to program the PATS system to recognize the keys.

No matter what you do on this someone will have to hook up a computer to open the PATS programming mode. It requires a minimum of 2 PATS keys to program.

Assuming the locks and ignition all match, pulling the door cylinder is the easiest way to get the key cut correctly. Most automotive locksmiths will have the computer so should not require 2 trips. Just ask before you chose the shop to do the work. I would expect cost 150-250 for 2 new PATS keys plus programming.

Would love to just drop it off at the ford dealer, but they said they won't cut the keys there, as they don't have the files for the VIN look-up ( they only keep 10 years worth... ) so it's going to be a big mess no matter what lol

No matter what you do on this someone will have to hook up a computer to open the PATS programming mode. It requires a minimum of 2 PATS keys to program.

Assuming the locks and ignition all match, pulling the door cylinder is the easiest way to get the key cut correctly. Most automotive locksmiths will have the computer so should not require 2 trips. Just ask before you chose the shop to do the work. I would expect cost 150-250 for 2 new PATS keys plus programming.

Just a comment, I bought a used 2000 explorer that had just one key and the local locksmith was able to make a second {functioning} key for about $90. I thought as well that two keys were needed but he had whatever was needed to do the job with just one key.

which engine?

It sounds like you may have gotten a good deal. I bought my 2000 Sport under similar conditions. It was abandoned on the interstate and towed away. The tow truck operator eventually got title to it to claim his tow fee. I bought it from him. Which engine does your vehicle have?

You're better off with an auto locksmith than the dealer. I only had one PATS key when I bought my Sport. I drove it to a PATS qualified locksmith and got two more keys programmed. With no key I suggest that you remove one of the door key cylinders. The locksmith can take it apart to cut a key. Then he uses a machine to force the PCM to recognize the key. It takes about 15 or 20 minutes for each of the first two keys. Once there are two PCM recognized PATS keys it takes less than a minute for each additional key. That's why you should always have three keys in case you lose one. With two keys you can program another key without going to the dealer or the locksmith.

Just a comment, I bought a used 2000 explorer that had just one key and the local locksmith was able to make a second {functioning} key for about $90. I thought as well that two keys were needed but he had whatever was needed to do the job with just one key.

When the programming mode is intiated through the computer, you must have two keys with different PATS codes. In your case that would be the old key plus the new key. PATS cannot start with zero and make just one. So in the case at hand he will need to purchase 2 keys and have them programmed. It will wipe out all other keys. The system was designed this way to reduce risk of shady operators copying a key to steal cars.

Automotive locksmith is best route.

When the programming mode is intiated through the computer, you must have two keys with different PATS codes. In your case that would be the old key plus the new key. PATS cannot start with zero and make just one. So in the case at hand he will need to purchase 2 keys and have them programmed. It will wipe out all other keys. The system was designed this way to reduce risk of shady operators copying a key to steal cars.

Automotive locksmith is best route.

FYI: PATS requires a minimum of 2 keys to make your own. 1 key will not work to make a 2nd. Once you have one working key, Walmart or ACE Hardware can "clone" your key, but that will not allow you to make additional keys on your own. Ford gets $25 for a blank keys. you can get 2 for less than that on ebay w/free shipping.

ditch your PATS system.....
for those that have 1 key
1. CAREFULLY remove PATS chip from key
2. remove column cover
3. glue chip to PATS ring
4. reinstall cover
5. have a couple keys made at Home Depot ($2.29 each)

This is a simple procedure and I have done it many times while working in the car audio field. works great when installing remote start.

Why not go back to the wrecker and get a matched PCM with keys and switch them over to your new truck. I doubt they would charge much or anything as those parts are not in demand and end up in the crusher anyway...

Ended up just yanking the drivetrain out of the exploder and will be hauling her in for scrap, i just don't have the time to deal with it at the moment, and need a vehicle on the road asap!

Ended up just yanking the drivetrain out of the exploder and will be hauling her in for scrap, i just don't have the time to deal with it at the moment, and need a vehicle on the road asap!

So you had time to yank the drivetrain out, but not to get a key made???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you had time to yank the drivetrain out, but not to get a key made???

Yessir! Having a key made would've entailed getting a truck to yank the exploder to a locksmith apprx 60 miles away, leave vehicle there for 1-2 days and then haul it back. Drivetrain was out in about 8 hours with 2 guys and a case of beer!:D

Back