• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Track 4X4 problem

KEGMJ

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hello all, I'm new to the site but have already gotten some great information here. My 01 Sport Trac 4X4 will not work. No lights on the dash and no click from the 4x4 module. I tried working the connections back & forth on the module, changed the module, checked all the fuses 3 times but still no go. Any other suggestions would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your '01 a Job 1 or Job 2?

May not matter. There are 6 fuses connected to 4x4 operation, you check them all?

20024x4Circuit.gif

Thanks for the response ncranchero. I checked the fuses again. #13 in the engine compartment and all the fuses in the dashboard compartment to be sure. All were good. I moved around the wiring harnesses and connectors near the module also. Still no luck. How do I tell if I have a job#1 or #2 build?

Thanks for the response ncranchero. I checked the fuses again. #13 in the engine compartment and all the fuses in the dashboard compartment to be sure. All were good. I moved around the wiring harnesses and connectors near the module also. Still no luck. How do I tell if I have a job#1 or #2 build?

look at the year your truck was built if it was before 6 2001 then its a job one this is really rare or you could just look at your motor compared to the other motors they are a little older looking but are a lot better. when you are trying to put it in 4x4 are you putting the truck in neutral and then giving it a minute ?

It was built in 8/01. I guess that means it's a job #2. I've tried 4X4 every which way possible, park, neutral, in gear and waited for a while. Still nothing.

try tapping on the shift motor, on the transfer case.

OK, I tried tapping on the shift motor while 4WD high was turn on. Nothing happened. How can I tell if I'm getting power to the shift motor? Any ideas what else it could be?

Just tapped on the shift motor without 4WD engaged and jump in the truck to go down to the local farmstand. Flipped the switch back and forth a few times and the 4X4 came on and is working fine now. Does that mean the shift motor is sticking from not being used? How often should it be used? Thanks Thunderhorse and all of you for the help!

Exercise it at least a couple of times a month..........not on pavement though.

So to be clear these 4405 t-cases on the 01+sport and sport trac are 3 position? J/w my uncle has an 01 sport that they of course asked me about (since I do all my own repairs) and said that it will not go into 4Hi or low at all so just gathering more knowledge searching the forums before I go there.

Correct, except it the same old/same old Borg Warner 13-54.

Do the connector examination for corrosion and the tap on the shift motor trick and go from there.

These are '02 items but the '01 should be the same. I have them for the '01 also, PM me your email address if you want me to send them to you.

Connector pinouts

02 4x4 diagnostics

Thanks Steve for the info and the links. That's why I asked about 3 position I figured I would try and see if the shift motor was stuck on 2hi if that were the case, check the connections in the dash and the fuses.

Back