03 lincoln aviator | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Maybe a bent valve from the timing being wrong?
Doubt it..didnt bend any last time and was the passengers head that timing was off..#8 is drivers..

I'll know in next hour or so

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Soo think i may have found it..these heads i had the old shop put hardened seats in the exhaust. .

Well looks like one has been moving around..there is a line and ridge where the seat is pressed into the head..all the rest are nice and smooth from the ""port"" work,also evenly covered with carbon. .

Bad pictures but can see the shiny line/ring and has a lip like its been moving around..
20180715_144607.jpg
20180715_144512.jpg

Here is another crappy picture with no ring,smooth carbon and transition. .same cylinder 2nd exhaust valve..
20180715_144618.jpg

More crappy pics..but you can see where the valve has been hitting the seat at a angle where its been moving,it also correlates to the burnt carbon spot on the valve face..

Problem is the old shop did these seats and i dont trust them anymore. .so the new shops going to have to replace all these valve exhaust seats with slightly larger ones and the do a valve job on all them..it aint gonna be cheap and thats if they even will do business with me after the fiasco last time..they ended up giving $400 back for mesaing the cams up and took $100 off originally for taking so long..

20180715_152900.jpg
20180715_152726.jpg

I feel like we are brothers in pain.

This is crazy.

Soooo turns out its a guide issue. .all the guides are shot shot..causing the valve to move around and beat the seats up..he said he has never seen guides disintegrate or wear like they have in this head..said they have worn side to side and not in the typically direction on the rocker pushing it if that makes sense..

He said he very very shocked i had compression on any of them and wasnt burning oil like a freight train ..he wants me to bring the other head down to him as well..

He's calling the manufacturer of the guides to see if they have had any issues or other cases. He thinks that it may be a bad batch of valve guides..said out of the 5 machinist there that none of them have ever seen this happen with so low miles and all brand new parts..

Good news they will be coving this but bad news is they dont know why it happened. .

Again, I'm glad you kept digging at it, and found a problem. This sounds better than if it wasn't caught for a while, then the shop might have assumed it was usage, and your cost. I know it sucks to be doing the labor again, but still be glad there's possibly smooth water ahead.

Took the other head down to them Saturday and he showed me the first head..they definitely in fact SHOT and shot BAD..i dont know how i wasnt burning oil..

He also pulled the 2nd head apart today and found them to be ALL bad also..

The guides were made by PEP.. Precision engine parts.hes still waiting to hear back from them..
Precision Engine Parts products PEP

He plans to use CHE for this time around and then be cutting the seats again..the cutter centers off the guide so they have to be done first for alignment. .he wont do guides without doing seats also because of that for good reasons. .so assured me it's not an alignment issue and is sticking to a material issue
Valve Guides from CHE Precision Inc.

Lets hope this is the last time those heads come off for a long time.

Whats the update? This is like a horror thriller novel I can't put down......

Whats the update? This is like a horror thriller novel I can't put down......
CHE just made me a set and shipped it Friday. .he did 3 day ship so should been here by end of day or tomorrow. .still haven't heard back from PEP..

Once the new guides get here he's gonna install them and recut the seats..id like to say by end of next week id have them back but im not holding my breath, he said my heads were top priority and he would be working on mine no matter what..sooo we shall see

Heads are done,picked them up this morning ..hopefully have them back on and running by tomorrow afternoon. .

I ssssuuuurrrreeee hope this thing runs right!!!

Good luck on the install!
May everything turn out perfect this time!

Well been raining here off and on for 3 weeks now and is DOWWWWNNN POURING now...so my entire garage has flooded to the point i cant work in it..so didnt get jack **** done and now i gota figure out how to stop the water from coming in and how to get all this water out. .

Worse part they are calling for severe thunderstorms for next 2 days!!!!FML
20180811_171348.jpg

The weather has been brutal lately.
Even here in NJ, rain like everyday then straight to 90+ with high humidity, then back to rain again.
I am looking forward to fall weather, hope its drier and cooler.

Good luck on drying up your work area, hope it goes well!

Runs but back to smoking at start up..

Cant freakn win...

:(

how long have you let it run in total? might be crap in the exhaust that needs to be burnt out. waaaaaaaaaaay back when, when i got the donor for the 302 swap the truck was laid on its side. everything dripped into the exhaust. it took a good hour of bag driving it in a field before it stopped smoking.
just trying to help your sanity and wallet from freaking out

how long have you let it run in total? might be crap in the exhaust that needs to be burnt out. waaaaaaaaaaay back when, when i got the donor for the 302 swap the truck was laid on its side. everything dripped into the exhaust. it took a good hour of bag driving it in a field before it stopped smoking.
just trying to help your sanity and wallet from freaking out
Ive put 15 miles on it last night

Let it run a few heat cycles before assuming the worst. If it doesn't get any better after 2 hours of running come down to the shop and pick up this 5.4 navi motor that needs a good home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back