08 4.6 v8 eddie after water in transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 4.6 v8 eddie after water in transmission

Edvin

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 08 4.6 v8 eddie
Hey guys
1st - what transmission model i have 5r55 or 6r60 ?
2nd- the main issue- a month ago i felt something weird with the gear mainly from 1st to 2nd
I went to a shop and they saw that was a hole inside radiator oil gear cooler
And the water mixed with oil inside transmission.they change transmission oil twice and also the filter after that the problem gone, a week after now when the car comes to full stop i am getting some "kick" from behind
Went to the shop again and they told me to change the transmission assembly or to rebulied it
Any thoghts about that?

P.s i am from israel, i imported this car 2 years ago from n.y
Best regards

Hi Eddie, you could either have the 5R55S or the 6R60, the 6R60 is a six speed and the 5R55S is a five speed. The 5R has a deep pan with two servos on the passenger side and fills up through the pan, the 6R has a thinner pan and no servos on side and has a small dipstick just above the pan rail on the passenger side.

Regardless of which transmission you do have the coolant contamination of the transmission will eventually cause the transmission to fail. The coolant causes the rubber seals to swell and causes the electronics to corrode and fail, it's just a matter of time.

I agree it's time to replace or rebuild it.

Changing the valve body with solendid tcm will not fix it,?

Not if its had water/antifreeze in it, the rubber seals deep inside the transmission will swell and fail, it will have to be rebuilt completely.

Back