'08 E.B. Dash Display Prob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'08 E.B. Dash Display Prob

skijump

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 E.B.
Hey - im new here so please forgive me if I dont know all the correct terminology...I have an '08 E.B. and every once in a while the display between the speedo and tach will freak out and reverse itself (it will put the top line on the bottom and visa versa. Its been back to the stealership several times always with the same diagnosis - "unable to duplicate problem". Anyone else ever have this go on? THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tell them to run oaisis.

and follow tsb. 10-2-15.

Some 2006-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a condition where the odometer display reading momentarily flips from the bottom to the top of the message center screen, then back to the normal display mode (Figure 1). This concern may be very intermittent and difficult to verify.

could someone post that tsb 10-2-15?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - I have been complaining about this since the first month I owned this vehicle and they NEVER have any idea what I am talking about. Why is it that I always have to tell the stealership how to fix my own vehicle? (its a rhetorical question). It is so frustrating that all the problems I have had can NEVER be duplicated and they dont ever fix anything unless I go in there with the TSB and force them to fix the frickin problem...and I have been to 3 local stealerships. Im trying really hard to remain loyal to ford - my family has been since the 60's. I realize that all mfgs have problems and vehicles are not perfect but I am growing tired of the "dont care" attitude that I receive. Sorry for the rant - you guys are great!

Printable View (21145 KB)
TSB
10-2-15 ODOMETER DISPLAY READING MOMENTARILY FLIPS FROM BOTTOM TO TOP OF MESSAGE CENTER SCREEN

Publication Date: February 3, 2010

FORD: 2006-2010 Explorer
2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a condition where the odometer display reading momentarily flips from the bottom to the top of the message center screen, then back to the normal display mode (Figure 1). This concern may be very intermittent and difficult to verify.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The following procedure involves installing a Fair Rite Round Cable Snap-On Suppressor (only one required) which must be ordered directly from the supplier Newark listed below:

Newark telephone number 1-800-463-9275.
Newark website: www.Newark.com.
Newark part number: 78K6137.
Manufacturer: Fair Rite.
Manufacturer part number: 0444176451.
Remove the Instrument Cluster (IC). Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DOWNLOAD THE IC CONFIGURATION INFORMATION.

Install the Fair Rite Round Cable Snap-On Suppressor around the cluster harness circuits. (Figure 3)
Install PVC tape (164-R4901) from Rotunda kit (164-R4900) around the suppressor. (Figure 4)
Install a tie strap in between the Suppressor and the wiring harness. (Figure 5)
Tuck the suppressor behind the IC plastic support bracket and secure the tie strap around the instrument cluster bracket. (Figure 6)
Install the IC. Refer to WSM, Section 413-01.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
100215A 2006-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac: Install Suppressor, Includes Time To Remove And Install The Instrument Cluster (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
10849 42

Figure 1 - Article 10-2-15

Figure 2 - Article 10-2-15

Figure 3 - Article 10-2-15

Figure 4 - Article 10-2-15

Figure 5 - Article 10-2-15

Figure 6 - Article 10-2-15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2010 Ford Motor Company

Back