Status
Not open for further replies.

Josef161

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer xls
I read that it helps to get rid off gunk and deposits in the transmission (valve body) if you put some 0w20 in the transmission? Does anyone have good experience with that? And should i put the 0w20 in let it idle for 30 minutes and then do a pan dorp and fill?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant recommend anything other fluid than what the manufacture recommends for your make and model of transmission. Transmission fluid already has detergents in it to keep things working properly.
A filter and fluid change by dropping the pan, cleaning the pan and magnet, is really the best maintenance you can give the transmission.

Does anyone have good experience with that? And should i put the 0w20 in let it idle for 30 minutes and then do a pan dorp and fill?

No.

Isn't transmission oil also petroleum based?

ATF is petroleum based also partial synthetic or full synthetic-based. It’s the additives and detergents that make the fluid different than motor oil. If you do use something other than ATF consider using John Deere low viscosity hy guard hydraulic fluid. Been using if for years in performance applications but beware it changes the feel of shifts and converter lockup apply feel. It doesn’t contain the friction modifier‘s ATF does. It’s pretty temperamental until reaching operating temp. Under certain conditions it will foam.

That actually says atf is made out of "base oil" aka crude oil with additives and coloration. So i did check the specifications for mobile1 0w20 and valvoline maxlife atf and they are almost the same.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back