• Register Today It's free!

1-2 second startup rattle

PEAR0119

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
Hey guys, a few months ago I had my truck into the shop to fix a timing chain rattle that was heard all the time between 2500-3000 RPM. Ford had replaced the primary timing chain tensioner to no avail then they found out that the balance shaft tensioner and guide grenaded. After all that the engine is nice and quiet once again. But now, every time I let the truck sit over night or a prolonged amount of time I get a nasty rattling noise only on startup which lasts about 1-2 seconds then goes completely silent. If I turn the car off and back on there is no noise, not even after leaving the car sit for an hour. Is there anything that I should be worried about or is it just a characteristic of this motor with the oil pressure sensitive tensioners?

If there is a problem I would like to get it addressed before winter (truck is in storage until then). Any info would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading some old posts on here, the consensus is that the hydraulic camshaft to jackshaft tensioners are gone. Well not gone, just the spring tension is not adequate enough to maintain pressure on the chain after the oil pressure is gone. Am I correct in assuming this? Also, the rear tensioner seems to be quite easy but for the front one do I have to remove the intake manifold to get to it? This is on my 06 XLT.

What oil & filter are you using?

Motorcraft 5w-30 and motorcraft filter. I got a deal for free oil changes for life when I bought the car so it gets done at the dealer at every service interval. I cannot speak for the previous owner though.

So you are complying with any warranty requirements, if you still have warranty.

FYI. Had the 00M12 done to my 99 when it had approx. 110 km on it. I have used only synthetic oil & FL1A filters since then, changed at approx 6 km intervals. Now has 280 km.

It has always "ticked" for couple seconds at morning start-up, but usually only noticeable in colder weather. Maybe when under 10 c. Changed lower oil pan last summer, did not find ANY plastic in bottom of pan.

Just changed front tensioner (thought I order rear tensioner - my error) but have not driven truck as it is now "my" winter ride. Need to order rear tensioner.

Will start truck tonight and see if the "rattle" is noticeable.

Do you still have a powertrain warranty?

Ford are the ones that change my oil so I assume that they use the oil covered under warranty. The truck was in the shop for the timing chain noise between 2500-3000RPM and they found the balance shaft grenaded. They also replaced the primary timing chain tensioner stuff as well. The rattle between 2500-3000 RPM is now completely gone and only have a 1-2 second rattle only when starting the truck for the first time in the morning. I have the ESP from Ford and the timing chain stuff is covered but, I have a $100 deductible for anything warranty related. That being said, if I can fix the issue with a $50 camshaft timing chain tensioner I can do the work myself and save $50 as well.

How easy was it to replace the front tensioner? Did the intake manifold have to be removed?

By the looks of it I should be able to remove and replace the front tensioner without removing the intake manifold. I am just going by pictures on the net as the truck is in storage.

Hey guys, I ended up replacing the front cam chain tensioner and the startup rattle is still there. It seems that during the warmer summer months the rattle wasn't happening as much but now with the cold weather coming its been rattling more often and is louder then in the summer. Is there anything else that I can check and take a look at to rid this startup rattle? Or is it just the nature of the best with these spring/oil pressure tensioners?

did you ever find a solution to momentary startup rattle?

2011 explorer rattle on startup

I also have a sporadic rattle on startup that is hard to replicate, although it happens at least once a day. Sometimes after a cold morning, sometimes after the third or fourth startup of the day. It's loud and is certainly not normal, I have had people riding with me ask what that is. Once it happens everything is fine and it only lasts for 1-2 seconds. I have been able to capture it on video but the dealer claims that cannot replicate. Thought it might be a heat shield or something physical, but I am at a loss! Vehicle only has 33k mikes!

Mine still has the initial startup rattle, which has been on going for years now. I have come to terms with it an accepted that after the car sit for at least 8 hours I get the rattle. I still truly believe that it the front hydraulic chain tensioner, as once oil pressure is built up the rattle completely goes away. I haven't changed the rear tensioner yet though as it seems like a pain to get in there.

I also have a sporadic rattle on startup that is hard to replicate, although it happens at least once a day. Sometimes after a cold morning, sometimes after the third or fourth startup of the day. It's loud and is certainly not normal, I have had people riding with me ask what that is. Once it happens everything is fine and it only lasts for 1-2 seconds. I have been able to capture it on video but the dealer claims that cannot replicate. Thought it might be a heat shield or something physical, but I am at a loss! Vehicle only has 33k mikes!

Welcome to the forum, Brilevine! When you visited the dealer for this concern, did you leave the truck with them overnight so they could try starting it up at different times? I'll be happy to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager; just shoot a PM my way with your specifics. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Back