External timing tensioners on the 4.0 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

External timing tensioners on the 4.0

Yep i have that ting ting ting noise n mine constantly so i know that its gone
yep keys jingling its an easy fix though long weekend your first time normal weekend after 2+ times

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also keep in mind to run a quality full synthetic 5w 30 oil and a quality oil filter

yep keys jingling its an easy fix though long weekend your first time normal weekend after 2+ times
Yep done a full rebuild on a 02 sohc just dreading it tbh lol

Yep done a full rebuild on a 02 sohc just dreading it tbh lol
trust me its not bad! just crack a few joints before, drink a soda (or two) and get at it! its real fast once ya done it once

Also keep in mind to run a quality full synthetic 5w 30 oil and a quality oil filter
biggest thing is especially for the oil filled tensioners is anti drainback valve on the filter. its common now, however.

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt
I figured since I had 170k on the engine the oil pump would be good to replace. I went with the hv pump because I assumed there would be more wear on the cam bearings and extra oil wouldn’t hurt. I wasn’t sure if it would reach the tensioners quicker not but I figured it couldn’t hurt to have more oil flowing through the engine. As far as I can tell the original pump is fine so it could probably be reused. So you guys think it would be a bad idea to use the hv pump? Only mods I was planning on are an underdrive pulley and converting the clutch fan to an electric fan. I have stainless shorty headers but I’m not sure I’m going to bother with those. They’re just cheapie eBay exhaust headers but I don’t think they’ll add any performance value as the exit hole is the same size as the stock ones. I think I got bamboozled on eBay and they were promoting them as performance headers (copies of JBA’s). I think someone caught them and then they changed the add to “stock replacement”. They initially said the outlet was 2.5 inches but then later the add changed to 2.15 which I think is what the stock header is. Otherwise no serious upgrades, just some help for better mileage and a little more power driving through mountain passes.

trust me its not bad! just crack a few joints before, drink a soda (or two) and get at it! its real fast once ya done it once
Yep ill get on it one day lol

biggest thing is especially for the oil filled tensioners is anti drainback valve on the filter. its common now, however.
Yep for sure

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt
I figured since I had 170k on the engine the oil pump would be good to replace. I went with the hv pump because I assumed there would be more wear on the cam bearings and extra oil wouldn’t hurt. I wasn’t sure if it would reach the tensioners quicker not but I figured it couldn’t hurt to have more oil flowing through the engine. As far as I can tell the original pump is fine so it could probably be reused. So you guys think it would be a bad idea to use the hv pump? Only mods I was planning on are an underdrive pulley and converting the clutch fan to an electric fan. I have stainless shorty headers but I’m not sure I’m going to bother with those. They’re just cheapie eBay exhaust headers but I don’t think they’ll add any performance value as the exit hole is the same size as the stock ones. I think I got bamboozled on eBay and they were promoting them as performance headers (copies of JBA’s). I think someone caught them and then they changed the add to “stock replacement”. They initially said the outlet was 2.5 inches but then later the add changed to 2.15 which I think is what the stock header is. Otherwise no serious upgrades, just some help for better mileage and a little more power driving through mountain passes.
Ok so from what i have heard before sometimes HV oil pumps can cause aeration in the oil im not sure on that though but as far as headers the ones on the 4.0 are really really good for being stock also i would spend that extra money on a better cooler for the trans if its the 5R55E just because they aren't the strongest thing ever made also as far as stock oil pumps mine has 267k on it and runs amazing still so i wouldn't worry about it i would reuse it also fel pro is the best for gaskets imo but the rear main seal should be a ford part only with the special install tool

In the last couple years I’ve exclusively used mobile 1 5w 30 full synthetic and I’ll continue to use that.
Amazing choice bro that is the best thing to run in these engines

@Lee's Automotive
Ok so from what i have heard before sometimes HV oil pumps can cause aeration in the oil im not sure on that though but as far as headers the ones on the 4.0 are really really good for being stock also i would spend that extra money on a better cooler for the trans if its the 5R55E just because they aren't the strongest thing ever made also as far as stock oil pumps mine has 267k on it and runs amazing still so i wouldn't worry about it i would reuse it also fel pro is the best for gaskets imo but the rear main seal should be a ford part only with the special install tool
good to know, I’m going to see about returning the oil pump it might not be to late. My 07 has the 5r55s, it’s only got 40k on it, I replaced the previous trans with a reman in 2018. Although sadly I think a lot of my shifting issues had to do with exposed wiring at the MAF and throttle body. When I pulled the engine and got a better look at the harness I had a lot more exposed wiring in a few other places, I still need to get in there and patch those spots. I would always get a cel that would show a small leak evap code and a unable to bleed up fuel tank code (can’t remember the numbers now) as well as clunky shifting and a 2-3 shift flare. Once I patched all that wiring on those two harnesses all issues went away for about a year. They’ve since returned but I know I need to replace the plugs on the MAF and throttle body as well as fix the other bare spots I see. I have the motorcraft replacement plugs although they look fairly generic.

I was surprised that a gen 4 had these issues as they seem more common on the Gen 2’s. I had a 97 5.0 explorer and I swear the wires were in better condition than my 07 which should’ve been the opposite.

@Lee's Automotive

good to know, I’m going to see about returning the oil pump it might not be to late. My 07 has the 5r55s, it’s only got 40k on it, I replaced the previous trans with a reman in 2018. Although sadly I think a lot of my shifting issues had to do with exposed wiring at the MAF and throttle body. When I pulled the engine and got a better look at the harness I had a lot more exposed wiring in a few other places, I still need to get in there and patch those spots. I would always get a cel that would show a small leak evap code and a unable to bleed up fuel tank code (can’t remember the numbers now) as well as clunky shifting and a 2-3 shift flare. Once I patched all that wiring on those two harnesses all issues went away for about a year. They’ve since returned but I know I need to replace the plugs on the MAF and throttle body as well as fix the other bare spots I see. I have the motorcraft replacement plugs although they look fairly generic.

I was surprised that a gen 4 had these issues as they seem more common on the Gen 2’s. I had a 97 5.0 explorer and I swear the wires were in better condition than my 07 which should’ve been the opposite.
Yep the 5r series of transmissions are prone to the shift flare which 9 times out of 10 is either a epc solenoid issue or the valve body gaskets so check that first also the wirin from around 05 till 08 is crappy imo not sure what they changed but it's definitely not as good as the 2nd gens

i mean i suppose with enough volume it could. however many do not pump ou that much where it would run the pan dry, aerate it etc. plus that would only happen at high rpm imp. and yes trans cooler=good investment

i mean i suppose with enough volume it could. however many do not pump ou that much where it would run the pan dry, aerate it etc. plus that would only happen at high rpm imp. and yes trans cooler=good investment
Thanks for confirming yeah, I've heard so much over the years, so I didn't know I'd rather be safe than sorry

Yep the 5r series of transmissions are prone to the shift flare which 9 times out of 10 is either a epc solenoid issue or the valve body gaskets so check that first also the wirin from around 05 till 08 is crappy imo not sure what they changed but it's definitely not as good as the 2nd gens
yep 5-8 had a wiring difference i think it ws material its prone to deterioration. an E fan will unleash more power so i hear. one dy, one day! e fan is good for passing imo.

yep 5-8 had a wiring difference i think it ws material its prone to deterioration. an E fan will unleash more power so i hear. one dy, one day! e fan is good for passing imo.
Yep that wiring is almost as bad as the Mercedes with biodegradable harnesses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back