External timing tensioners on the 4.0 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

External timing tensioners on the 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking if I still had the issues with shifting after I get the harness all patched up I would rebuild the valve body and install a shift kit.
usually a shift kit can help the 2-3 flare

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt
Thanks for your help guys, I’ve done a lot of repair but not so much with engines. So this is my first rodeo with pulling one of these suckers apart. So all of your advice is welcome and much appreciated!
No problem, bro I'm glad to be of assistance if you need anything don't hesitate to reach out or pm me

Hey fellas
I made a video a while back
A little more info I feel like I specialize in stopping start up rattle
Here's how it works old oil clogs the timing chain tensioners
Which causes the chain to slap timing guides
then They break and you have problems depending on how much they break. Ford Timing Chain Tensioner Cutaway
20201124_132727.jpg

Hey fellas
I made a video a while back
A little more info I feel like I specialize in stopping start up rattle
Here's how it works old oil clogs the timing chain tensioners
Which causes the chain to slap timing guides
then They break and you have problems depending on how much they break. Ford Timing Chain Tensioner Cutaway
View attachment 436428
^^^yep donald is another good resource on sohc same with 410fortune as well. have you noticed any difference in the sohc tensioners too?

have you noticed any difference in the sohc tensioners too
I installed 2 Manual tensioners on the 2004 explorer
Haven't really messed with it since
You really need to understanding on how the Timing system works in order to use the manual tensioners I tried to leave good instructions but there's nothing like experience

2010 mountaineer 4.0. 86,000 miles. Change oil every 3,000 miles. Looking down the oil fill cap head is spotless. Still has the original tensioners. Mountaineer can sit 3 months in winter and when started there is no noise. That brings up the question should I change them or wait until I hear the noise. 🤔

2010 mountaineer 4.0. 86,000 miles. Change oil every 3,000 miles. Looking down the oil fill cap head is spotless. Still has the original tensioners. Mountaineer can sit 3 months in winter and when started there is no noise. That brings up the question should I change them or wait until I hear the noise. 🤔
Wait until you hear the noise that is what I did

agreed. do keep in mind the HV pump will not help the tensioners in that iirc oil will not reach the top faster, as it reaches quite quickly. its a myth that it will run the pan dry in nearly every circumstance, but it will increase pressure too, so that could have effects as well. all depends on what you are doing with it.
I got quick question for you guys @Fix4Dirt and @Lee's Automotive when you guys did your timing chains did you keep the engine in the vehicle or no. I've been trying to install the tensioner on mine and that's been a pain in the butt

I got quick question for you guys @Fix4Dirt and @Lee's Automotive when you guys did your timing chains did you keep the engine in the vehicle or no. I've been trying to install the tensioner on mine and that's been a pain in the butt
if its the front primary chain it can be done in the rig. any pics of the situation? dont recall changing the tensioner itself a pain

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 3.04.33 PM.png

is this the part you are looking at?

If you have to do the rear chain the engine has to come out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep depends on which chain
Well I honestly think it's the front one making noise on Start up even if I prelub it's still a grump on cold days

Back