10 Minute Ignition Delay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10 Minute Ignition Delay

Juscelino26

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer. Whenever I turn off the ignition, I am still able to listen to the radio for another 10 minutes. Recently, I installed an aftermarket radio and this feature has disappeared.

Is this really a stock radio related feature or can I re-enable it somehow?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

move the power to the accessory delay circuit

I been trying to find a power source that retains the RAP and Im finding nothing worth tapping into... dont really want to use the window power wires... and the 2007 does not a a relay or fuse dedicated for this feature like the expo's and f-150's did from 1997-2004... no body should ever pay $50 for a box to do this.....

move the power to the accessory delay circuit
sloop,

I apologize for the delay, as I did not realize that the reply e-mails went into my Spam folder. Anyway, thanks for you reply. I am not a "car expert" so I will research where my accessory delay circuit is and look into your suggestion.

Thanks,
Juscelino

You are SOL if you hacked into the wires. The acc is controlled by the CAM. Metra makes an adapter that can be installed that will convert the CAM signal back to a normal DC acc voltage. It plugs right into the factory wiring harness. They can be had for about 30 bucks on ebay. dimmer and speed sense are also converted back by the box to analog voltages.

Thanks Tech By Trade. That makes sense. I guess it's not THAT important. LOL

Thanks Tech By Trade. That makes sense. I guess it's not THAT important. LOL

I will map out wires and color codes and figure this out and do a small write up... I know its possible but I was hoping someone already did the leg work but I guess I will do it.... there are quite a few circuits that get the DC current all I have to do is tap in and run it to the head unit.... should take me all of 20 minutes once I can get the time to start

I hope the wire colors on the 2007 is the same so it will make it much easier to copy what I do

I will map out wires and color codes and figure this out and do a small write up... I know its possible but I was hoping someone already did the leg work but I guess I will do it.... there are quite a few circuits that get the DC current all I have to do is tap in and run it to the head unit.... should take me all of 20 minutes once I can get the time to start

I hope the wire colors on the 2007 is the same so it will make it much easier to copy what I do

Wow. That's pretty awesome. I've visited this forum for years and have never posted anything. First time I post and you guys are awesome with your responses. Thanks everyone!

I already know the wire i will be tapping and my dmm will lead me home... Its way more fun to not use schematics the passenger doors have very few wires and i only need the one should be an easy find through the front right kick.... the windows have a wire sending power to the switch this wire is active with the key in all forward positions and retains RAP for the 10 minutes you just have to find it before it enters the door, tapping this wire and simply adding it to the red wire on the headunit will add RAP to the radio but I think I will be adding a relay because I want to see if this reduces the annoying interference from all of my electrical... I want my radio grounded and powered directly from the battery

Adding back rap to a 4th gen explorer with aftermarket headunit
remove the stock power wire from radio run a new wire from radio down and around to the fuse box under the dash add a 15amp fuse to the new wire, remove the large metal fuse in location CB1 with a multi meter find the contact that has power with the key in acc mode get a fuse tap and install it on to the corresponding tab on the fuse, replace CB1 fuse.... you now have RAP on the aftermarket headunit and saved $50+ on the metra kit that does this same exact thing .... I found if you leave the stock power wire connected the radio will turn on and never turn off so replace the power wire with the new wire... I also tapped a wire from the passenger side " light purple white stripe" but found it works but the radio will turn off if you hit the window lock switch so this was a no go... here is a video showing that this works....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_86bKqjod4

Back