14 EB Sport is a TURD!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

14 EB Sport is a TURD!!

Did you not take a test drive before you bought it? If you did were you happy with it then? If you didn't, then there really isn't any excuse. You either have an problem with the vehicle or you have unrealistic expectations. I have the same engine in my MKT and am more than happy with it. It likely has more power than I'll ever use during 90% of my driving.

Peter

Maybe he was one of the 16% who don't test drive before buying..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea the fuel octane rating thing makes a HUGE difference.

Amazing how many people either don't put 91 or 93 in it or don't care to put that fuel in it because they're saving $2 when they fill up a $50,000 vehicle.

Coworker drives and EB F-150 and for about 40,000 miles was buying 87 and complaining about gas mileage and power. Had a discussion with him a few months ago and now he swears against ever putting less than 91 in it. That much of a difference!!! He claims his MPG went up 1 as well, hes now averaging a whopping 20 MPG instead of 19.

Even with 89 in the tank.. it's no turd.

Yea the fuel octane rating thing makes a HUGE difference.

Amazing how many people either don't put 91 or 93 in it or don't care to put that fuel in it because they're saving $2 when they fill up a $50,000 vehicle.

Coworker drives and EB F-150 and for about 40,000 miles was buying 87 and complaining about gas mileage and power. Had a discussion with him a few months ago and now he swears against ever putting less than 91 in it. That much of a difference!!! He claims his MPG went up 1 as well, hes now averaging a whopping 20 MPG instead of 19.
The recommended fuel as per the Owner's Guide is 87 octane. You can use premium if you want top performance or tow a lot. 87 octane in my vehicle provides plenty of power. I don't see a need for premium whic by the way will cost you more that $2 more. Right now the average price for regular is $6.26 a gallon and premium is $6.92. On an 18 gallon (Imperial) fill up that is a difference of $11.88.

Peter

The recommended fuel as per the Owner's Guide is 87 octane. You can use premium if you want top performance or tow a lot. 87 octane in my vehicle provides plenty of power. I don't see a need for premium whic by the way will cost you more that $2 more. Right now the average price for regular is $1.379 a gallon and premium is $1.539. On an 18 gallon (Imperial) fill up that is a difference of $12.96.

Peter

I wrote this up on another forum a few weeks ago, I'm using a custom tune from Livernois, so I don't know how closely this will match a stock tune, but I assume the results would be similar.

When less expensive gas isn't less expensive...

Loaded up a tune for 87 octane gas last week because gas prices hit 4.33 for regular here. Figured I'd save a few bucks per tank this way.. decided to do the math this weekend on my savings.

I saved ~.20/gallon by switching from premium. I have an 18 gallon tank so that's ~3.60 saved for the tank. Awesome.. at 2 tanks a week that's a lunch!.
Then comes the messed up part of the math.

Efficiency lost during daily driving by having boost and timing tuned for 87 octane is roughly 1.2-1.4mpg. I assume it requires a lot more gas to do things like enter the freeway (get up to speed), speed up to pass cars, etc.

1.2-1.4mpg is roughly 21 miles per tank lost to having less power.
21 miles is almost exactly what I get per gallon on average
so.. loss per tank is ~4.30

So in conclusion my net gain by switching to 87 octane was a loss of around 70 cents.

If the engine is optimized for higher octane, use higher octane. Even Ford's brochure showing HP, Torque, and EPA Ratings says all values were obtained on 93 octane gas.

The recommended fuel as per the Owner's Guide is 87 octane. You can use premium if you want top performance or tow a lot. 87 octane in my vehicle provides plenty of power. I don't see a need for premium whic by the way will cost you more that $2 more. Right now the average price for regular is $1.379 a gallon and premium is $1.539. On an 18 gallon (Imperial) fill up that is a difference of $12.96.

Peter I just happened by a previous post of yours contradicting your statement here --
"I don't understand why someone would pay big bucks for a 'performance' engine and then run it on regular gas and be happy with subpar engine performance."
--peterk9 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3054564&postcount=20

Peter I just happened by a previous post of yours contradicting your statement here --
"I don't understand why someone would pay big bucks for a 'performance' engine and then run it on regular gas and be happy with subpar engine performance."
--peterk9 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3054564&postcount=20
Guilty as charged. :D
That was when Ford Canada on its website stated that recommended fuel for the Ecoboost was premium gasoline. That was subsequently removed from the website and regular 87 fuel was recommended. They still do, however, state that premium will provide peak performance. In my case, the Ecoboost engine came with the MKT. It wasn't something I sought out. It was a 'showroom' vehicle and the only one they had left and the deal was too good to pass up. If I was ordering one, I would have picked a few more options. I wasn't looking to turn in the Explorer with a year left on the lease.

Peter

...turd? I thought it was a turbo?
:D

...check for loose hoses on your Sport as described in this forum...

I have 2 muscle cars... one with a 600 hp "built" turbo, intercooled engine that we've raced on the drag strip well over 700 times. When I first bought my Turbo Regal in '87 we went to the track and back then there were dozens of GN's there and some ran 13's stock and others ran 15's stock. There was a variance between the cars and drivers for sure.

Our new Explorer Sport feels like it has 365 HP! My friends can't believe that a SUV has that much power! Something must be amiss with yours for sure. In the Buick, the computer senses detonation and retards the timing if you have lower octane gas. Maybe the ecoboost system does the same so 93 octane could be a big boost to power.

Maybe the turbo hoses are not on tight and you are loosing boost. As a rule, every 15 lbs of boost effectively "doubles the size of the engine" so that would be a good place to start.

Mine 2013 Sport feels slower now but I think its just because I got used to it. I don't notice the torque steer anymore and catch myself mumbling that I wish it was faster.

But then someone in a VW or a civic tries to pass me and I realize what I am driving. :)

I think the Sport scoots quite well. I came from a MazdaSpeed6 and this wasn't a big drop in acceleration performance. I'm "only" running 87 octane. This summer I'll try running 93, but I want to get a reasonable baseline and check the difference once our season "settles down." Plus, if there's a transition from winter gas blend, I don't want to have that skew the results.

I'm certain I can find much better ways to troll this forum. Fact is, I spend much more time on Jeep forums than this one and tend to forget about it. I was merely asking if there was a way to liven it up without voiding my warranty. Didn't mean to piss off the soccer dads out there. Close the thread if yall want. It's not going anywhere positive anyways.

Your question was essentially answered, that's all. Clearly you're the only one that thinks the Sport is 'sandbagging'.

Close the thread if yall want. It's not going anywhere positive anyways.

This was supposed to be a positive conversation from the beginning?

Who would've thought that "14 EB Sport is a Turd" was a positive way to start a conversation!

Do you run it on 91 or 93 octane fuel? Have you purchased either of the handheld tuners available? Have you replaced your downpipes? Did you purchase a cold air intake?

The Sport engine is the same as the one found in the F-150 Ecoboost and Taurus SHO for going on 4 years now, their problems and fixes are well documented. Its pretty easy to boost your HP and Torque numbers with less than $1000 investment. Good Luck.

Still not grasping the soccer dad comment either. Why did you buy an Explorer Sport? To race around like a jackass teenager? You may have bought the wrong vehicle, it's not a race car. I'm neither a dad or a soccer fan, so maybe you should adjust your attitude towards fellow auto enthusiasts.

Player1

I'm certain I can find much better ways to troll this forum. Fact is, I spend much more time on Jeep forums than this one and tend to forget about it. I was merely asking if there was a way to liven it up without voiding my warranty. Didn't mean to piss off the soccer dads out there. Close the thread if yall want. It's not going anywhere positive anyways.

Well let's see, I own a recording studio and video production company, I have two v-twin motorcycles that are very fast, I play lead guitar in a rock band and I haven't been on a soccer field for over thirty years! I do believe that you've showed your hand.

If my Sport is a turd it's of the diarrhea kind.

Comes out quick!

Back