171 174 lean banks codes still reading | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

171 174 lean banks codes still reading

Inquiring minds want to know...

had no time yet to install, should be this weekend hopefully

I was just wondering what the status of your repairs were...Did the injectors fix the problem???If not what is it doing now???

Wishing you good luck with that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

injectors stopped all the exhaust smoking and stopped the engine stumbling when stepping on gas, couple injectors were clogged,... still has codes after $600+ of repairs

:mad:now that i think about it i think and know my fuel injection are clogged because running too lean both side plus egr clogged too no vac suck egr hose both side that go to dfe sensor no vac to :usa:

i finally fix my check engine light i change the maf and maf wires and had change broking air fiter housing and i put all the vaccum line from new egr valve down to new fuel evap hoses reset check engine light WOW it run like brand new explorer and got great performance 4.0 SFI SOHC WITH 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC

Good job thanks for the update

New to the party

I have been skimming these forums and others like it. I have A 95 4X2 Ranger supercab. 4.0 6 cyl OHV.
Recently replaced the ECT sensor due to hard starting when cold. 9/5/09.

Now I am having the surging/stalling boogy. I cleaned the IAC and replaced two questionable hoses attached to the evap canister. I inspected the PCV valve.

I noticed one of you are from the same area I'm at. Do you recommend any shops for diagnostic abilities? I had two CEL codes set 171 174 (Lean)

Thanks

To 95Ranger. My '96 Explorer with OHV also threw the 171 and 174 codes. All mine needed was the gaskets to the upper intake replaced. They are rubber and compress over time allowing extra air in the system. Replaced gaskets and problem resolved.

New Gas Tank will fix problem next weekend, the fuel filter i just put in 3months ago already clogged and making truck dog out again, the fuel tank is rotten inside, and clogged, sock, screen, net or whatever u prefer to call it.

those 2 codes are relevant to air intake leaks .i think you been throwing money at nothing .
i too have the 4.0 ohv and when i got those codes the fix was to buy new gaskets for the "upper plenum".
these gaskets shrink over time and loose thier ability to seal .
i had mine replaced and those codes went away.
i did alot of research on these codes befor dropping the money and i am glad i did.saved me from going thru the kind of headache you are experiencing right now .

dont feel too bad though.i just dropped 800.00 in gaskets and labor to have my head gaskets and intake gaskets replaced ,only to find out my timing cover is now leaking too.another 200.00 dollar job .so all said and done it will cost me a grand to reseal the motor .
i could have bought a reman motor soon.

Only reason I am coming back to post is that often on this forum I see no final disposition posted. No final out come................anyway.
My son's 2000 Limited had both the 0171 and 0174 codes.
Replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets after trying may other solutions. That was it. leaky gaskets.

Back