• Register Today It's free!

1991 Steering Wheel Replacement

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
The leather on my steering wheel is peeling pretty bad now. What is everyone replacing there steering wheel's with on 91 and 92 Explorers/Navajos?

Does the Navajo have a different style wheel (ie non-leather wrapped).

I don't want to pick up some replacement from Auto Zone or K-Mart (you know the ones I'm talking about) unless its a good quality replacement.

Has anyone tried one of those kits that come with leather and thread? You put the leather around the wheel and restitch it yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill,

Can I remove the old leather and replace with wheelskin or do I have to put it over the old leather?

I dont know. Probably have to put it over though to fit.

since you dont have a airbag like bill does, you can replace it with a new grant or similar steering wheel.....or just buy one of those kmart one.... i had one "ribbed" for like a year and it was cool

Jim,

I would...but then I would lose my cruise control buttons.

I put an Axxus leather wrap over my wheel when it went bad. Got it at Wal-Mart, and it's pretty nice. You have to make sure and get their leather one that you thread on (runs about $15-20)

Jeff,

Hey, I'll check that out. I took your advice on the Gabriel's....they are awesome.

I put the rears on this past weekend, and for the first time in like 4 years the car feels solid on/off road. Can't wait to put the front ones on.

Back