1993 explorer 4.0L trouble codes help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer 4.0L trouble codes help

tboogywoogyoogy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I have the trouble codes 111 for key on engine off. Then the codes after are 117, 21, 81, & 189. Then with engine on it gives me 172 and 136.

The 111 is system ok which leads me to the others which are ECT sensor low/grounded; ECT sensor out of range; boost control OR AIRD solenoid; and fuel was/is lean at throttle part left or front HO2S fuel control.
And the engine on codes are oxygen sensor related.

So I'm not sure whether to do oxygen sensor, ect sensor, or something to do with a solenoid or lean fuel issue.

The car keeps stalling or wanting to if i don't give it gas and it has a rough idle which is where it usually stalls

First thing I would check: did you get the codes recorded correctly? I would expect your '93 to output all 3 digit code, not a mix of 2 and 3 digit codes. This suggests to me that you mis read the codes. I would check them to make sure you aren't being led on any wild goose chases.

The usual strategy is to resolve KOEO codes first, then KOER codes, then CM codes. A common "user error" for the KOER 172,136 combination is to perform the KOER test without preheating the O2 sensors immediately before the test. I would run the engine for several minutes to get the O2 sensors good and warmed up, then repeat the KOER test to see if you still get the 172,136 KOER codes or not. If that does not resolve the KOER codes, I would then pursue why you are getting the lean codes.

After resolving the KOER codes, I would take note of the CM codes you have, clear CM, then test drive it and see what CM codes come back.

Keep it simple..

Low idle and stalling is the problem.

If any of those codes are correct the ECT is the one to take care of first.

Lean/rich. bla bla are all gonna be off if the PCM is getting no engine temp from the ECT.

It's to cheap and easy to replace the ECT every 3 years or so.

Recommend cleaning the IAC after you replace the ECT and clear the codes.

Simply disconnect the battery (both cables) for a couple minutes to reset the PCM.

Drive it at least three drive cycles so the PCM can 're-learn' before continuing with any further tune up stuff. You'll just be chasing your tail.

FR-425 I wish I had you on speed-dial! You have a way of cutting to the chase and making it easy to understand.

Back