1993 XLT 4X4 lift kit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 XLT 4X4 lift kit

The rollovers were mostly down to driver error. I learned to drive in, and drove a first gen sport around quite a bit. Fairly stable vehicle. I’d much rather be in a first gen, than a comparable Blazer of the year.

I’ve been on here a long time and I don’t recall a whole lot of talk about them being a major rollover risk. People have somehow managed driving them lifted on 35s longer than you’ve been alive without rolling them over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rollovers were mostly down to driver error. I learned to drive in, and drove a first gen sport around quite a bit. Fairly stable vehicle. I’d much rather be in a first gen, than a comparable Blazer of the year.

I’ve been on here a long time and I don’t recall a whole lot of talk about them being a major rollover risk. People have somehow managed driving them lifted on 35s longer than you’ve been alive without rolling them over.
i do think a good percentage of these occured due to driver error, mainly overcorrection. the Xs could be nore stable yes by widening the track width stiffer seay bars etc but that eas in favor of the ride and cost being that it shared many parts with the ranger. i think it was the bii that eas the least stanle and they improved over the years. now im not sure how the 1st gebs drive just based onnwhat ive read etc. my reasoning for the 1g not being a great daily is that its lifted, no airbags, and safety tech like crumple zones etc have evolved majorly in the last 2 decades

Agreeable, many kinds of things can happen due to driver error. So that's very likely, this is why I dont put 100% trust in things I hear till I experience 'em myself first lol
I don't mind the blazers of at least second gen X time, had to drive my dads '02 blazer a few times, was a different setup and felt off compared to the X, but I didn't mind it. But as said, I can't say anything about earlier 90s blazers though, just the late 90s and early 00s feel

My mom had a 95 blazer, it was a death trap. The ABS system was beyond ridiculous. 3 recalls later and it was still scary to drive. A few pebbles and it’d ABS through a complete intersection.

My mom had a 95 blazer, it was a death trap. The ABS system was beyond ridiculous. 3 recalls later and it was still scary to drive. A few pebbles and it’d ABS through a complete intersection.
Dad gum, yeah, my dads never had anything like that, most he had was that he went through like 3 fuel pumps in a single year, thinks it was just a crappy brand because he tried a new one this last time and hes been fine since, about a year later I'd guess, maybe a little less.

My X felt similar after the lift and tire swap, going across a similar bridge daily. She could do it, but certainly wasnt too happy about it. Keeping up with traffic wasn't an issue though

Agreeable, many kinds of things can happen due to driver error. So that's very likely, this is why I dont put 100% trust in things I hear till I experience 'em myself first lol
I don't mind the blazers of at least second gen X time, had to drive my dads '02 blazer a few times, was a different setup and felt off compared to the X, but I didn't mind it. But as said, I can't say anything about earlier 90s blazers though, just the late 90s and early 00s feel
I had an '86 GMC S15 Jimmy (aka Chevy S10 Blazer), didn't have ABS but was probably the worst handling vehicle I ever drove, though my '98 Explorer might be 2nd worst.

The Explorer still handles better than the Jimmy did, part of that being due to the longer wheelbase (Jimmy was a 2-door) and part due to a stiffer suspension, providing you didn't underinflate the tires on the Explorer to Ford's spec.

The thing about driver error is, most drivers do make errors. The more forgiving the vehicle design, the less likely that error will cause severe loss of control or especially rollover in the case of narrow wheelbase vs high center of gravity.

Full sized K5 Blazers though, handled better than either.

Yeah, my dads '02 was different, but felt like it handled similarly. I definitely like the handling and feel behind my '95 C1500 in comparison. But I dont 100% mind the X handling and all since I'm so used to it. Theres a lot that goes into it, yeah, most SUVs are like that though, which is why most have rollover issues compared to something like a pickup.

Hello All I just got my grandmas 1993 XLT 4X4 for my son who is 14. we have a couple years to make it cool. it only has 70k miles and it look brand new. What is the best all around lift. I found James Duff what are your thought.
A 93 Explorer with only 70k miles? I would keep it exactly as it is, stock.

Hello All I just got my grandmas 1993 XLT 4X4 for my son who is 14. we have a couple years to make it cool. it only has 70k miles and it look brand new. What is the best all around lift. I found James Duff what are your thought.
Sorry I'm late to the party. I also bought a James duff stage 1 3 inch lift kit, and I can't recommend it enough. It rides amazing and was fairly straight forward to install. Some things to note: you will need extended sway bar end links OR run no sway bar which is what I do and it works well. Very comfortable and great articulation off road you can feel the progressive rate coil springs and 30/70 shocks working. They send you both drop links and add a leafs for the rear. I used both, due to my sagged rear springs and it's pretty level. Get the 2.5 degree caster camber sleeves, you will need it for proper alignment and most alignment shops will try and toe and goes you, make sure you tell them to set caster and camber. I measured 12 inches of travel from normal ride height to fool droop using a lift. I would recommend dual shocks as the front end is a bit soft at times.

Sorry I'm late to the party. I also bought a James duff stage 1 3 inch lift kit, and I can't recommend it enough. It rides amazing and was fairly straight forward to install. Some things to note: you will need extended sway bar end links OR run no sway bar which is what I do and it works well. Very comfortable and great articulation off road you can feel the progressive rate coil springs and 30/70 shocks working. They send you both drop links and add a leafs for the rear. I used both, due to my sagged rear springs and it's pretty level. Get the 2.5 degree caster camber sleeves, you will need it for proper alignment and most alignment shops will try and toe and goes you, make sure you tell them to set caster and camber. I measured 12 inches of travel from normal ride height to fool droop using a lift. I would recommend dual shocks as the front end is a bit soft at times.
yes i hear JD is the pinnacle. but $$$

Back