James Andrew93

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Callsign
KF6PXQ
Hello All I just got my grandmas 1993 XLT 4X4 for my son who is 14. we have a couple years to make it cool. it only has 70k miles and it look brand new. What is the best all around lift. I found James Duff what are your thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All I just got my grandmas 1993 XLT 4X4 for my son who is 14. we have a couple years to make it cool. it only has 70k miles and it look brand new. What is the best all around lift. I found James Duff what are your thought.
welcome to EF!!!!!!! JD is a great company, and they make great products!!!!! recently ive heard a mixed bag as far as order time, but i hear the stuff is still good. depends on how much lift ya want, coil spacers and shackles will yield 1.5" about there was a 5.5" from rough country was it? but JD has always been one of the main brands. how much lift are you targeting? this isnt related to the lift, but the JD steering stabilizer and red head steering box i hear make a big difference on the 1g X's. is it auto or manual? what size tires are you looking to run? not directly related to the lift, but some overlook regearing or stress on tranny etc.

also any pictures of the lift? best to start em early!

welcome to EF!!!!!!! JD is a great company, and they make great products!!!!! recently ive heard a mixed bag as far as order time, but i hear the stuff is still good. depends on how much lift ya want, coil spacers and shackles will yield 1.5" about there was a 5.5" from rough country was it? but JD has always been one of the main brands. how much lift are you targeting? this isnt related to the lift, but the JD steering stabilizer and red head steering box i hear make a big difference on the 1g X's. is it auto or manual? what size tires are you looking to run? not directly related to the lift, but some overlook regearing or stress on tranny etc.

Thank you very much for the reply. We are looking to do a 2-3 inch and get to 33's but that depends if it can handle the tire. I don't want to re gear or blow the tranny. this is going to be a starter car for my son to learn some off road driving. So Fire roads with the occasional hard way. As we break stuff w upgrade stuff.

Thank you very much for the reply. We are looking to do a 2-3 inch and get to 33's but that depends if it can handle the tire. I don't want to re gear or blow the tranny. this is going to be a starter car for my son to learn some off road driving. So Fire roads with the occasional hard way.
what gear ratio do you have? i hope at least 373s. 373 and 33s i hear are bearable for some but others (tend to be younger folks) find them too slow and also they have been known to blow the a4ld with too large tires. if you have 373s, i would reccomend 31s, if you have 410s maybe 32s. which, in that case to fit 31s at least iirc a coil spacer lift and shackles will work, or an actual lift. Explorer 3″ Stage 1 Suspension Lift | James Duff Inc.
this would be a good way to go imo fit some 31s and hit backroads. use extra change for an auto locker, my 2g on 31s can handle so much, and it very capable, especially as a starter rig. even stock they are very capable. im pretty sure 2-3" lift wont fit 33s iirc.

extra change can also be used for redhead steering box and other misc upgrades that younger fellows like, such as sound upgrades, an exhaust, etc! given the price of the JD kit depends on how much ya wanna spend but coil spacer and shackle will fit 31s for a decent chunk less. however the JD imo its a better lift not just spacers

I’ve got Duff’s long arm 3” lift on my 93 Sport! Been a great lift and it’s super capable. I’ve run it with both 31s and 33s. I like the fitment with 33s better but it’s definitely noticeably slower even with 3.73s. I also 5 speed swapped my Explorer prior to putting the 33s on. You can get away running 33s with the auto but expect to shorten the life of the transmission without re-gearing.

This is with the 31x10.50R15 on stock wheels. Flexed great!
5BDD4D9B-F11B-41EA-9077-5D5EB2045FE4.jpeg
DCCC9D2D-B55C-4090-9B3E-CCC8DC3E5654.jpeg

This is the 33’s (officially 285/75R16). Haven’t been able to wheel it on this setup as I found metal in the oil recently.
A4067EA5-9A6F-48FC-88A5-5FDA0A98111D.jpeg

I’ve got Duff’s long arm 3” lift on my 93 Sport! Been a great lift and it’s super capable. I’ve run it with both 31s and 33s. I like the fitment with 33s better but it’s definitely noticeably slower even with 3.73s. I also 5 speed swapped my Explorer prior to putting the 33s on. You can get away running 33s with the auto but expect to shorten the life of the transmission without re-gearing.

This is with the 31x10.50R15 on stock wheels. Flexed great!
View attachment 433322View attachment 433323

This is the 33’s (officially 285/75R16). Haven’t been able to wheel it on this setup as I found metal in the oil recently.
View attachment 433324
interesting, i didnt think the 3" could fit 33s. does it rub at flex?

interesting, i didnt think the 3" could fit 33s. does it rub at flex?
It was rubbing on the inner plastic fender at the back a bit. Just ended up trimming some of the plastic out and it doesn’t rub! Also depends on wheel/tire setup. The tires I’ve got with my wheel specs measure right about 11” wide which seems to help a lot with tire clearance issues.

It was rubbing on the inner plastic fender at the back a bit. Just ended up trimming some of the plastic out and it doesn’t rub! Also depends on wheel/tire setup. The tires I’ve got with my wheel specs measure right about 11” wide which seems to help a lot with tire clearance issues.
yes, usually the 33x10.50 (or maybe 11) will fit much better than the 12.5 wides. interesting to hear however! someday for mine i want a superlift and maybe a small BL to fit 35s. (not a big bl fan, but not sure theres much bigger lift)

what gear ratio do you have? i hope at least 373s. 373 and 33s i hear are bearable for some but others (tend to be younger folks) find them too slow and also they have been known to blow the a4ld with too large tires. if you have 373s, i would reccomend 31s, if you have 410s maybe 32s. which, in that case to fit 31s at least iirc a coil spacer lift and shackles will work, or an actual lift. Explorer 3″ Stage 1 Suspension Lift | James Duff Inc.
this would be a good way to go imo fit some 31s and hit backroads. use extra change for an auto locker, my 2g on 31s can handle so much, and it very capable, especially as a starter rig. even stock they are very capable. im pretty sure 2-3" lift wont fit 33s iirc.
OK looks like 31 it is. I have not looked at the tag on the Diff yet I think there is something in the door jam as well. It runs run battery is dead. Bad exhaust leak coming from the manifold at least that is what it looks and sounds like. So getting that fixed with a flow master maybe a headers depending on the manifold. Will start with the JD Lift 3'' thank you again.

OK looks like 31 it is. I have not looked at the tag on the Diff yet I think there is something in the door jam as well. It runs run battery is dead. Bad exhaust leak coming from the manifold at least that is what it looks and sounds like. So getting that fixed with a flow master maybe a headers depending on the manifold. Will start with the JD Lift 3'' thank you again.
yes in the tag in the door jamb it will have an axle code, that tells you what gears you have unless they have been swapped. the 3" and 31s will do well imo! great starter imo! congrats to your son, hes starting early! i wonder if borla still makes headers for these.

as a young person myself, i still like sky high lifts, but all in good time ;) im rolling on 31s at the moment, hoping to hit 35s someday, but in no hurry for that. more importantly is maintaiennce and making the best of the 31s like an auto locker, and i also did some sound upgrades ;)

also, post up some pics of the before and after!

yes in the tag in the door jamb it will have an axle code, that tells you what gears you have unless they have been swapped. the 3" and 31s will do well imo! great starter imo! congrats to your son, hes starting early! i wonder if borla still makes headers for these.

as a young person myself, i still like sky high lifts, but all in good time ;) im rolling on 31s at the moment, hoping to hit 35s someday, but in no hurry for that. more importantly is maintaiennce and making the best of the 31s like an auto locker, and i also did some sound upgrades ;)

also, post up some pics of the before and after!
You know how it goes start small and in 5 years it will be a monster. well that is how all my builds end up. Break go bigger break something else go stronger. So on and so forth.

You know how it goes start small and in 5 years it will be a monster. well that is how all my builds end up. Break go bigger break something else go stronger. So on and so forth.
yes sir!!!! same way here, all in good time! plus i think i got many more years to live, so i got plenty of time to get this on 35s! maybe build a bogger in the mean time, LOL!!!! imo 31s are very capable, and a good starting point, especially due to the bigger the lift, inherently the less stable it will end up. so for a starter rig, these are definitely good, and its rare to find one that low mile!!!! probably couldve gotten a superlift by now, but im plenty happy with the other upgrades i done like the big trans cooler, exhaust, sound upgrades, and no the no slip. ill take it in stages ;)

Axle code is D4 from what I found is it is a LS 3.73 so 31s should be fine Boog-O-Matic Tranny.

Explorer 1.jpeg Explorer 2.jpeg Explorer 3.jpeg

Here is the other Project.Found my Car from high school 1984 mustang 347 t5 5 speed. kinda runs

View attachment 433349 View attachment 433350
wow, nice fox body!!!!!!!!!! wouldnt mind one myself ;)
Axle code is D4 from what I found is it is a LS 3.73 so 31s should be fine Boog-O-Matic Tranny.

View attachment 433341 View attachment 433342 View attachment 433343
cool, i run 373s with 31 on my 5r55e!!!!!! with the ohv it will have a bit less power than mine, but will be sufficient imo!!!! i hear from @DemonMudder that 373 and 32 is not ideal. him being a 2g too he has more power than the ohv

wow, nice fox body!!!!!!!!!! wouldnt mind one myself ;)

cool, i run 373s with 31 on my 5r55e!!!!!! with the ohv it will have a bit less power than mine, but will be sufficient imo!!!! i hear from @DemonMudder that 373 and 32 is not ideal. him being a 2g too he has more power than the ohv
Yeah, hills especially became a bit troublesome, on or offroad. A 4.10 swap won't be too crazy different from 3.73s and they should add enough oomph to be fine. But yeah, the 3.73s, with either 4.0 sohc or ohv both, with the 5r55e at least, I don't suggest anything larger than 31"s unless ya plan a gear swap. Its tolerable to drive with, but you can tell it doesn't enjoy it, the bridge I have to go up and across almost daily is decently steep and I usually was pretty much foot to floor to get up it, keeping up with the other traffic

I ain't the biggest fan of fox bodies, but it ain't a bad one, bo!

20220304_150158.jpg 20220304_150207.jpg 20220304_134514(0).jpg

I put the Duff kit on in '05...meant to regear back then too. My axle code is 41 (which says 3.27). So 17 years later it's still on my to-do list. It's drivable and great on gas on the highway. But is a bit of a dog..Been running 32's no rub.

1660944305680.png

I put the Duff kit on in '05...meant to regear back then too. My axle code is 41 (which says 3.27). So 17 years later it's still on my to-do list. It's drivable and great on gas on the highway. But is a bit of a dog..Been running 32's no rub.

View attachment 433381
3.27s?? With 32s? 17 years?? Dad gum, props to you, I'm surprised you can survive that. Wont deny it's better on the highway mileage than a 4.10 is, that's why most like 3.73s for a daily, it's a good even spot. But dad gum bo! 😂
looks nice though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.27s?? With 32s? 17 years?? Dad gum, props to you, I'm surprised you can survive that. Wont deny it's better on the highway mileage than a 4.10 is, that's why most like 3.73s for a daily, it's a good even spot. But dad gum bo! 😂
looks nice though!
Maybe that's why it's still sitting in the garage with an unknown issue this past month...No codes and won't run. I've only been working on it on weekends but it runs great till it warms up. (then i gotta unplug MAF to go anywhere).

Back