1994 XLT 4x4. I'm losing transmission fluid. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT 4x4. I'm losing transmission fluid.

T3hN1cksta

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Xlt 4x4
Hey there everyone i just joined lol, My 94 Explorer xlt has been leaking Tranny fluid somewhere but i cant find where its leaking, so i refill my fluid and about 2-3 weeks later its almost completely empty ( A few days ago my car wouldnt shift into reverse, or drive, unless i revved it up to around 3500 Rpm, then the whole car jerks forward then its in gear) and after i refill it i check my fluid a day or two later its no longer red, its a tan-oil color. But it runs awesome when its got fluid in it, it just acts up when it starts to get low, it doesnt shift rough or anything. Is there any common places that it could be leaking from? because its not leaking from the drain plug/ filter housing. Any suggestions? Because i dont have the money to get my tranny rebuilt or replaced ( if thats what its going to need) im just hoping its a seal somewhere that the fluids leaking out of lol. post if you have any suggestions! Thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I second the modulator

the only symptoms my trucks showing of a bad modulator is the dissapearing fluid, and my car shifts fine from gears 1-2, 2-3 etc and down shifts fine too. it only wont go into drive or reverse as a result of the low fluid, and when i refill it it works awesome again, could it still be the modulator? from what ive heard theyre a really big pain to replace since theyre in a really tight spot, should i try liquid tranny leak-stop? is there any way to see if the modulators leaking without having to take it out? because there isnt any visable tranny leaks that i can see from under my car.:exp:

the only symptoms my trucks showing of a bad modulator is the dissapearing fluid, and my car shifts fine from gears 1-2, 2-3 etc and down shifts fine too. it only wont go into drive or reverse as a result of the low fluid, and when i refill it it works awesome again, could it still be the modulator? from what ive heard theyre a really big pain to replace since theyre in a really tight spot, should i try liquid tranny leak-stop? is there any way to see if the modulators leaking without having to take it out? because there isnt any visable tranny leaks that i can see from under my car.:exp:

DO NOT try "liquid tranny leak stop" (aka liquid valve body clogger, and other problem causer, snake oil, etc)

the modulator is on the right side of the transmission. it takes literally 5 minutes to replace. very easy to do. a 10mm wrench is all you need. new modulators are like $15. i replaced mine a while back.

if the trans fluid is disappearing, and it's not physically leaking of of the trans all over the ground, then it is most likely a hole in the modulator diaphragm.

Ok found the leak lol, its the modulator, although i couldnt get to it with all of the stuff in the way, i found the leak coming out of the vacuum hose where it meets all of the other vacuum hoses next to the manifold. I'll be installing a new one this weekend, thanks!

Umm im not sure, its one that i called autozone and they special ordered it for me, i think its non-adjustable

Ok, today i replaced the modulator, and now my car isnt shifting like it should be, now its shifting 1-2, and then half way through gear #2 it'll downshift and rev up and then it'll shift into gear 3. I posted a new thread, but does anybody know what could be causing this? :roll:

Have you checked your engine oil level? When my modulator went bad. That's where the tranny fluid went....

Back